Lotr: Ee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's kind of funny--as a kid, I never caught onto the allegory until some girl at school did a book report, telling how it was all about Jesus. I argued with her! When I reread them, that was all I saw.

Tolkein actually disliked the Narnia chronicles because he thought it the symbolism was too obvious. (And because he was adamant his own series had no allegory.) I wonder if C.S. Lewis was disappointed? He *loved* LOTR and it inspired him to try his own series. I bet he was.

I am psyched to see the movies--I have fond memories of the BBC miniseries, which I'm sure is terrible, but it was cutting edge for the 80's. :wink:

I'm curious about the Mouth Of Sauron! Will he look the same as he did in FOTR, like the Witch King or completely different?!

On another note: I heard Christopher Lee wanted to boycott (or did boycott) the LOTR trilogy when his part was cut on in TTT. Is this true?

AvsGirl41 said:
It's kind of funny--as a kid, I never caught onto the allegory until some girl at school did a book report, telling how it was all about Jesus. I argued with her! When I reread them, that was all I saw.

Tolkein actually disliked the Narnia chronicles because he thought it the symbolism was too obvious. (And because he was adamant his own series had no allegory.) I wonder if C.S. Lewis was disappointed? He *loved* LOTR and it inspired him to try his own series. I bet he was.

I am psyched to see the movies--I have fond memories of the BBC miniseries, which I'm sure is terrible, but it was cutting edge for the 80's. :wink:

Oh dear lord. The BBC miniseries. :tsk:
Yeah, their Oxford literary society, The Inklings, would sit and listen to its members read their work. Tolkien was outspoken about his dissatisfaction with Lewis' books from the outset. So while it's good that Lewis listened to Tolkien about religion, I'm quite happy that he didn't listen to him about the books. :)

UnforgettableLemon said:

I'd hardly call them crap. They lack the complexity of Tolkien's universe, absolutely. But they're brilliant children's books, maybe a bit didactic, but quite enjoyable nevertheless.

It's all a matter of taste, I personnally can't stand the Narnia books even as a child I found them boring.

I am looking forward to Lemony Snicket though. Jim Carey :drool:

Back
Top Bottom