LOST: The Final Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know where Jacob is.

jacobdharmabeer.jpg

What was the purpose of the temple people anyway?

Honestly, I don't know. It seems like they were rather pointless, but maybe something will prove their worth in the next few episodes. :shrug: I kinda doubt it, but I've been known to be wrong - once or twice. :wink:

They were just Others. They were other Others. :wink: Maybe you could say the Temple was sort of the home base of the Others, though some of them wandered the island more, while some stayed based here. (The children for example) It was supposedly a "safe" area (as Ben earlier told Alex to go there with her mother), and it was mentioned as a possible safe place earlier than that also.

Speaking of Others, I wonder what happened with that whole council thing from... was it Season 3? And Miss Clue.

I really need to rewatch the entire series once Season 6 is out on dvd.... I don't remember that at all!

Yeah I had to ask my kids what happened to her! I couldn't remember either. LOL But they just pretty much dropped the council thing after that. It just wasn't that important I guess.

I really need to rewatch the entire series once Season 6 is out on dvd.... I don't remember that at all!

Consider yourself lucky. Knowing what we now know and what the producers/writers/etc. clearly didn't know themselves, at the time, pretty much nothing that the Others did for the first 2/3 seasons makes any sense in even the most remote of ways. A lot of it makes slivers of sense in intent, but not at all in execution or in the light of subsequent seasons. I assume they didn't want to tell the candidates that they were candidates because, you know, that would sort of defeat the purpose of their proving that they are worthy of being candidates in the first place...but torturing them, imprisoning them, trying to kill them (Charlie was a candidate, amongst many others) or get them to kill each other, asking to be shot rather than just admitting, "Yes, we have the internet, but weather.com never gives reliable forecasts and 4chan banned our IPs because of...an incident," and so forth? Not so much. It's pretty upsetting, going back and re-watching those particular elements, simply because they didn't need to be for naught.

The motivation that you can force onto all of it is one that actually sort of holds up--Ben was jealous/desperate/whatever, wanted himself to be the candidate, and therefore tried to fuck with shit while insisting, "It's for your own good, bitches." That works, even if he knows that his plan itself won't work because he understands the island. But it doesn't explain why regular-ass, nice guy Ethan is a sociopath murderer or, for example, the Klugh hijinx. Or why Juliet was branded. Or why Kate had to wear a dress. The Others were clearly all about Jacob, and with Alpert allegedly acting as the go-between, none of it makes sense. Although it is really cool to see how stoked they all are, when dumb-ass Locke shows up at their camp, in season 3. We know now that they're hella-jazzed because they'd been waiting for his return for, like, 50 years.

...Then again, if that was the case, then why the hell was he allowed to chill on the beach, unmolested, for like 80 days? Who the fuck knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom