LOST: Season 3 (16 straight weeks of joy)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what else to say right now except that my mind has been thoroughly and completely blown...:ohmy:

I'm still shaking with....I don't know what. But the wait for Season 4 is going to KILL me. :|

I don't want to die...somebody save me.

*spoiler*

I agree it is cool the way the flashbacks have become flashforwards- this leaves a huge range of possibilities though- the island may still continue as the main story thread, with us continually guessing when and how they get off the island- if by some chance Ben was telling the truth about Naomi and the freighter, there may be alot of story left to tell about the island.

And, if Jack really is so bent on getting back to the island, who's to say he isn't successful and that becomes another thread in the storyline?

So much to think about...

Who thinks that was really Walt, and not some supernatural phenomenon?

I'm thinking the next two seasons deal with the aftermath of this last episode and the lives of the characters after they leave the island. I also suspect that Locke stay on the Island during this time and becomes VERY important in season 6. I suspect season 6 will be a dramatic and desperate quest for the losties to return to the island, where they'll probably find Locke and a bunch of crazy shit.

If the next two seasons DO wind up in the post-island period, I suspect the flashbacks would be events unfolding on the island during that time.

ORRRR I'm completely off base, and things continue the way they always have with an equal order of flashBACKS and flashFORWARDS. :shrug:

I have to admit, that was really well done. And, yes, if they actually use the next season as the base, and the island as flashbacks/Locke's story, then bravo.

I would like to watch that again, really.

They are about to watch this on the west coast, so we don't have to worry about spoilers anymore.

Very well done episode. I wish the entire season had been like the last few episodes, but I'll take it.

Locke indeed will become the person who is running the island. I'm curious if that was him in the coffin...

RIP Charlie - a very sad but noble ending.

So we know the people on the boat have nothing to do with Penny. It doesn't sound to me that this is how they get rescued, although I could be wrong. I guess it could be the case and now the story gets told backwards, although I'm not sure how long that would stay interesting.

Anything can happen, but it looks as if Juliet did truly betray Ben and went with Jack. At least I got that part right. :wink:

So much for five main characters dying by the end of the season.

And Hurley is the man...

I have the episode on the DVR, and I'm sure I'll be dissecting it some more in the coming days. After all, we have until January before this continues.

And yes, Jack's beard was quite humorous...

I tuned into the finale and thought it was very good. I'm going to rent this whole season on DVD when it comes out.

But what surprised me the most was Gerard Butler's cameo as FutureJack.

gbin300.jpg

The resemblance is uncanny.

phanan said:
They are about to watch this on the west coast, so we don't have to worry about spoilers anymore.

Very well done episode. I wish the entire season had been like the last few episodes, but I'll take it.

Locke indeed will become the person who is running the island. I'm curious if that was him in the coffin...

RIP Charlie - a very sad but noble ending.

So we know the people on the boat have nothing to do with Penny. It doesn't sound to me that this is how they get rescued, although I could be wrong. I guess it could be the case and now the story gets told backwards, although I'm not sure how long that would stay interesting.

Anything can happen, but it looks as if Juliet did truly betray Ben and went with Jack. At least I got that part right. :wink:

So much for five main characters dying by the end of the season.

And Hurley is the man...

I have the episode on the DVR, and I'm sure I'll be dissecting it some more in the coming days. After all, we have until January before this continues.

And yes, Jack's beard was quite humorous...

We have until late September/early October, unless I'm mistaken.

I'll say. When Sawyer just straight-out murdered Tom in cold blood, I literally JUMPED out of my seat and knelt down in front of my television in shock.

I did the same thing again when Walt appeared at the edge of the pit, although it wasn't quite as shocking once I thought about it some more.

And I did the exact same thing a third and finale time as soon as I realized who was driving the car behind Jack at the airport.

Truly dazzling television.

I read January so there won't be any breaks in the season.

Kudos to the fans who put pressure on the producers and writers after the first six episodes via message boards. We would probably be in the middle of some Nikki and Paolo storyline now and there would be no definitive ending to the series. Good job fans!!

Who died that Jack is so upset over and whom Kate couldn't give a damn abouit?

And who is Kate with who will know she is away?

Bear in mind, in may not be who you think since it's probably been a while since they left the island. Maybe Ben died or Locke or Sawyer? Maybe Kate is with Locke or Ben or Sawyer? Ah, let the mindf**k begin.

Last edited:
Here's the article again, which details what's coming up. Not only will each season run uninterrupted, but the seasons will be shorter, only 16 episodes each, which is a really good thing because it will keep the writing nice and tight without having any meandering episodes that go nowhere, like some of the ones we had earlier this season.

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- ABC has set an end date for "Lost."

The Emmy-winning adventure series will run for 48 more episodes over three seasons. Each season will consist of 16 episodes, which will air uninterrupted.

"Lost" executive producers/showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, who have been vocal about setting up an endgame for the show, have signed on to stay for the remainder of the series' run. Their separate new eight-figure deals with "Lost" producer ABC TV Studio include their services on the show as well as multiyear development pacts set to kick in when "Lost" bows out during the 2009-10 season. (Watch the "Lost" castaways discuss a key point )

"Due to the unique nature of 'Lost,' we knew it would require an end date to keep the integrity and strength of the show consistent throughout and to give the audience the payoff they deserve," ABC Entertainment president Stephen McPherson said.

Lindelof said having the end point in sight was "incredibly liberating. Like we've been running a marathon and we actually know where the finish line is for the first time."

Lindelof and Cuse said they've had "a road map for the series with all the major mythological milestones and the ending in place" for awhile.

"What we didn't know was how long we had to play the story out," Cuse said. "By defining the endpoint we can now really map out the rest of the series in confidence."

There will be some puzzle play, too.

"We sort of view 'Lost' as a mosaic," Cuse said. "Now there are only 48 more tiles that go into that mosaic, and we're figuring out, along with all the other writers, exactly where they all go."

In January, Lindelof and Cuse said that they envisioned the endpoint for "Lost" around episode 100. The agreement with ABC will bring the total number of episodes to 120.

Lindelof wrote the pilot for "Lost" with fellow executive producer J.J. Abrams, and Cuse joined the series in October 2004 shortly after the show debuted to big numbers.

In addition to its instant commercial success and large following, "Lost" has enjoyed strong critical acclaim, capped by a best drama series Emmy in 2005 and best drama series Golden Globe in 2006.

While the show's ratings have softened this season -- it is averaging 15.1 million viewers to date -- it is the most recorded show on TV, gaining 18 percent more viewers through DVR viewing. It is also a popular draw for streaming replays on ABC.com, iTunes downloads and DVDs.

phanan said:
Here's the article again, which details what's coming up. Not only will each season run uninterrupted, but the seasons will be shorter, only 16 episodes each, which is a really good thing because it will keep the writing nice and tight without having any meandering episodes that go nowhere, like some of the ones we had earlier this season.

I actually read this when it was released, so, my bad.

I found it curious, I don't know why....

When Jack is driving in the car, he's blasting Scentless Apprentice, which seemed odd. The beard, he's speaking in terms of "call my dad down here....." as if he were still alive.

Maybe it's 1994 and they've gone back in time 10 years.

U2DMfan said:
I found it curious, I don't know why....

When Jack is driving in the car, he's blasting Scentless Apprentice, which seemed odd. The beard, he's speaking in terms of "call my dad down here....." as if he were still alive.

Maybe it's 1994 and they've gone back in time 10 years.

Jack's referring to his dad threw me for a bit as well, but don't forget he was quite drunk when he said it...

though I guess it's a possibility, however remote, that his dad was somehow alive in the coffin on flight 815, and really alive on the island, and somehow makes it back to 'civilization" as well... that would take ALOT of explaining though...

dr. zooeuss said:

Jack's referring to his dad threw me for a bit as well, but don't forget he was quite drunk when he said it...

though I guess it's a possibility, however remote, that his dad was somehow alive in the coffin on flight 815, and really alive on the island, and somehow makes it back to 'civilization" as well... that would take ALOT of explaining though...

Yeah, I dunno I was just throwing it out there.

I read the Lost Wikis, but I dont go to the message boards often because you'll get 500 theories on one singular episode, so it becomes a headache.

Yeah, I hear you completely- a main reason I started discussing Lost on message boards is because I missed the first half or so of Season Three- so I felt way behind- a few weeks ago I caught up on Lostipedia too, so maybe I'll stay away from these boards now as well. ;-)

Just watched a scene where Jack pulls out his Razr cellphone so I doubt they went back in time.

The producers want mindfucks within their mindfucks, so using Nirvana and the Dad reference is likely a way to get everyone speculating about time travel, but I doubt that's what is going on here. I agree that the Dad reference was just a drunken reply, nothing more. Then again.....:)

Man I completely knew from the first bearded Jack scene that it was the future. Everything was so back assed.

I also realized something else tonight. How come out of all the people on the island there are only two parents? Claire and the Frenchwoman.
You'd think there would be at least one other parent! Also, I have absolutely no belief in Ben being the father.

Truly fascinating ending. Too bad the first 3/4 of the season were completely useless in terms of plot development. And I guess somewhat in character development too. The writers seemed to kick into high gear near the end and brought me back to the show. I think I missed an episode here and there in the middle.

Anyway, Hurley is the man.
Sawyer is the man for finally taking some fucking action! I only wish Jack would have offed Ben already.
And of course I wished that Desmond would have put a bullet into Cyclops (lol Charlie). I totally saw that coming from a mile away. :tsk:
They gave Charlie a very fitting a brave death, so I'm actually okay with that. There was not a whole lot left to do with the character anyway.

trevster2k said:
Just watched a scene where Jack pulls out his Razr cellphone so I doubt they went back in time.

Yeah, I saw that too. That was the dead giveaway that it was the future. They made sure we knew it was a Motorola RAZR to leave out speculation for those who were watching.
The dad line did throw me off though. But I was thinking that he might have actually been referencing his father's death. Upstairs not literally meaning upstairs? I'd have to watch it again to see if it makes sense.

PlaTheGreat said:
Hurley is the man...Sawyer is the man...

Personally, I'd have to say that the actual man of this episode was Sayid, who managed to knock a guy off his feet and snap his neck - with a gag in his mouth and his hands tied behind his back.

:up:

Excellent episode.

Wow - that was fantastic! Very impressive, and as always I have millions more questions.

Trev - I like your suggestion about the island scenes becoming the flashbacks.

Excellent finale, and I'm really looking forward to Season 4. :up:

This show is so on the ball now. I cannot wait until next season, it can surely only get better from here. I'm with the speculation that they will get off the island, and the next season(s) will focus on life off the island for them, and how they all cope with it, but... that seems a little too The Nine, so there'll definitely be more to it than that.
As Jack was saying in the flash-forward, they made a mistake and they needed to go back. I guess leaving the island was the mistake, which is something that Locke obviously knew. I think Locke will stay and take over as leader of The Others, while Ben leaves with Jack and co. (perhaps he leaves because he knows The Others won't want him as their leader anymore, or perhaps they force him to leave with them), and that it was Ben's funeral that Jack went to. I don't think Jack really cared about Ben enough to go to the funeral to mourn, I think he went because he hoped to see Kate there (well obviously, he said so), or Juliet, or anyone else, because he's lonely and out of touch with them, and wants to go back to the island and hopes if he could get into contact with anyone else that was there, they'd agree to try and go back with him. Or maybe he did feel a little bad about Ben's death, because he knew that Ben was right all along, that leaving the island was a bad idea.

Of course, I could be wrong about any/all of that. We'll see when the show comes back.

PlaTheGreat said:
I also realized something else tonight. How come out of all the people on the island there are only two parents? Claire and the Frenchwoman.
You'd think there would be at least one other parent! Also, I have absolutely no belief in Ben being the father.
This was explained in a Juliet episode a few weeks back. Women who conceive on the island end up mysteriously dying during their pregnancy, which is why the Others brought Juliet to the island. Since she was a fertility expert, they thought she could fix it, but she couldn't (but Ben still wouldn't let her leave).
This is also why the Others kidnapped everyone's kids and Claire and wanted Sun (and any other possible pregnant Losties). The revelation that women who get pregnant on the island die is significant, because for a while there was an uncertainty whether Sun got pregnant on the island by Jin, or whether she got pregnant before they left by the bald guy she was sleeping with, but it was revealed in Sun's episode, when Juliet did an ultrasound on her, that she got pregnant on the island (which was basically a death sentence for her).

Also, Ben is totally not Alex's father, that would be way too stupid. He just kidnapped her when he was a baby (just like the kidnapped the kids from the tail end of the plane etc.) and raised her as his own.

Back
Top Bottom