LOST, Season 2 - Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The backstory behind the Others better be interesting, hell, it has to be interesting.

I'm waiting to see the "Can you hear me now" guy appear on the island anyday now.

BTW, do you guys know that the writers/creators of Lost are heavily involved in the comic book scene. Jeph Loeb was listed as an executive producer tonight so welcome to geekdom.:wink:

Poor Sayid... I really feel for him. Shannon's death really messed him up. His notion of no guilt = Other is an example of very twisted logic. Although I admit I agree with him. I think the guy was lying through his teeth.

Those red and black symbols on the countdown clock freaked me out!

But my lasting impression from last night's episode? Sawyer squishing the frog. My love for his character just took a sharp nosedive. :(

I hated Sawyer so much for the frog thing. I would have been happy if Hurley had killed him right then and there. :tsk:
I lost the little respect I had left for Sawyer.

100287772abc1b815c80wi.jpg

trevster2k said:

I gave up on the show right there. I realize we have to be strung along for the story's momentum, but this is getting ridiculous.

Half of the show was spent on a stupid tree frog, after two meaningless episodes that didn't take us anywhere. Add the random "breaks" the show takes every 5 weeks, and I'm sick of this. :down:

Well, regarding the breaks, all of television has now been guilty of this, TV in general has jumped the shark with it's ridiculous scheduling over the past few years.

Like does anyone care what happens in Prison Break anymore, I don't. And yes, I agree, I would prefer if Lost was a limited series so we know we are going to get a definitive ending as opposed to weeks of filler trying to extend the longevity of the program.

Puzzle followed by a puzzle followed by another mystery followed by a conundrum does get a bit predictable especially since there are so many unanswered questions. I think they remain unanswered because the writers don't have the answers either. They may have a whole picture of the end story but don't know how to get there.

Shaliz said:

Those are Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs. Don't know what that means, but....

Lost message boards have come up with a few theories on its meaning. But nothing definite for sure.

trevster2k said:
Well, regarding the breaks, all of television has now been guilty of this, TV in general has jumped the shark with it's ridiculous scheduling over the past few years.

Like does anyone care what happens in Prison Break anymore, I don't. And yes, I agree, I would prefer if Lost was a limited series so we know we are going to get a definitive ending as opposed to weeks of filler trying to extend the longevity of the program.

Puzzle followed by a puzzle followed by another mystery followed by a conundrum does get a bit predictable especially since there are so many unanswered questions. I think they remain unanswered because the writers don't have the answers either. They may have a whole picture of the end story but don't know how to get there.

That's the whole point for me. Television's structure is a mess, the producers are just going to give us "puzzle followed by a puzzle followed by another mystery followed by a conundrum" because they don't give a crap whether it makes any sense or has any conclusion as long as we watch. And yes, I don't the writers have any clue what's going on. For those reasons, I feel like I'm wasting my time.

miss becky said:
Poor Sayid... I really feel for him. Shannon's death really messed him up. His notion of no guilt = Other is an example of very twisted logic. Although I admit I agree with him. I think the guy was lying through his teeth.

Those red and black symbols on the countdown clock freaked me out!

But my lasting impression from last night's episode? Sawyer squishing the frog. My love for his character just took a sharp nosedive. :(

I agree. Normally I manage to look past his a$$holiness and keep drooling but last night...... :|

I was upset that nothing happend when the timer went to zero...All we got was a bunch of symbols that make no sense to me. I do not think that guy is telling the truth because you would think after being on the island for four months he would have ran into the newcomers already. No one on the LOST message board trust him either. Sawyer is on my shitlist, for now. The best part of the show was Jack telling Locke to "shut up".

100287772abc1b815c80wi.jpg
Its like the Dharma slot machine...Locke was able to get the numbers entered before reel # 2 stopped, otherwise he might have hit the jackpot.
looks like fishhhook, blank, flame, bird, stick.
I think it was telling them to avoid the fish and head out for some rotisserie chicken.

As for our hot air ballooning Minnesotan, if he was one of the others, wouldn't one of the other others have rescued him before Danielle brought Sayid?
Unless they want him to infiltrate camp.

Regarding recent Sawyer developments, isn't this basically the whole development of almost every character on the show, I like him, I hate him/her, I love em again, no, they are a turd.

We have seen it with Jack, Locke, Sayid, Michael, Sawyer, Kate and it's gotten old. Lost is not a concept which can last for 5 years on the air, if the creators and producers are hoping for this, well, this show is going to go downhill pretty quick. It's not like CSI with self contained storylines each show, well, they have flashbacks but they are on an "deserted" island, deserted my ass, which needs to have a real progression of story otherwise people will definitely lose interest except for diehards.

trevster2k said:
[The show] needs to have a real progression of story otherwise people will definitely lose interest

:up:

Someone needs to tell JJ that this isn't ALIAS. If he doesn't give his audience some real answers, I see cancellation on the horizon, circa 2008.

stammer476 said:

Half of the show was spent on a stupid tree frog, after two meaningless episodes that didn't take us anywhere. Add the random "breaks" the show takes every 5 weeks, and I'm sick of this. :down:

there was sort of a parallel

in the Sayid back story

they are looking for a downed-pilot
and they tell Farid?and Sayed if you help find him

you can go free

------------------------

Sawyer tells Hurley

if you help me find the frog

you can keep ranch dressing and food stash

both pilot and frog are end up dead and are found

the helpers get their reward and do not feel good about the bargain they made and the outcome

also (Sawyer and Army guy are both obsessed with their search)

It is my opinion that the popularity of lost will be its ultimate killer! how? well remember how you felt watching lost last year? it was unique, enveloping, and less contrived. this year there are too many characters to care about, too many back stories from the same characters. take "the long con" for example. we always knew sawyer was not a good person, this episode only confirmed what we already knew. last year there was more continuity from show to show, this year bounces too far and to often! Ana? boring now, Ecko- interesting, one of the few characters from this year that belonged on lost from season 1. I feel the show is not where it would be if it had not became so popular. the episodes seem written "last minute" style. some seem downright unimportant to the plot.
I will still watch it cause I am a diehard LOST geek.

I think part of the problem is that the show is just too big. If I counted right, there are 14 members of the main cast. 15, if you include Walt (and does he still count?) Then you have the peripheral characters like Rose and Bernard, Rousseau and Desmond. And then there's the Others.

It's got to be difficult to juggle all those storylines. How do the creators/writers decide from week to week who to focus on? If you try to keep one storyline moving in a linear fashion, you sacrifice other storylines. And there is also the cold reality of having contractual obligations for the actors, of needing them to appear in a certain number of episodes. So even if you focus on one particular storyline, you've got to find a way to shoehorn in Kate or Charlie that week, for instance, so they get paid.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be a writer for that show. Talk about an impossible job!

Two opposite examples of dragging viewers along for too long.

Anyone who used to watch the X-Files knows about the hidden conspiracy, that even the fucking blockbuster movie didn't reveal shit (basically) and they held it all until the last two episodes and it COMPLETELY SUCKED GIRAFFE BALLS. Strung out over 8 or 9 seasons?

They managed to keep their ratings up, but Fox didn't have much else, it might not have lasted had it not had a long run, but interest defintely waned over the years. Not only was it anti-climatic, it was a shittastic conclusion..

The second being the short lived HBO series Carnivale, which was even more obscure than Lost. They had so many loose ends by half way thru the 2nd season, you wanted to either quit watching (but you couldn't really) or pull your hair out. What did they do? Over the span of the last 3 or 4 episodes of season two, it was home run after home run, absolutely riveting televison. Some of the best I've ever seen. Admittedly it's not a series for everyone, but if you are intrigued by Lost, you are halfway there.

The ratings were never great, and despite massive critical acclaim and a huge fan "petition", HBO shitcanned the series after two seasons.

Moral to the story:

It's not about telling great stories.
It's not about having a great message.
It's not about wanting to be groundbreaking.
It's a money grab, string out the viewer until the point where the bow breaks.

The best thing Lost could do for ratings would be to announce that this is the last season, or possibly that Season 3 would be the last and start tying up loose ends. The key to drama is the pay-off. Not another endless string of questions. At least that way you know conclusions have to be met. Otherwise this thing gets canceled after people get tired of the nonsense. But you can turn nonsense on it's head if you actually mapped out your shit and make it make sense in the end.

Then they can sell a shitload of DVD's and maybe have a spin-off where Locke returns to America and operates a whorehouse on a series on FOX.

U2DMfan said:
Anyone who used to watch the X-Files knows about the hidden conspiracy, that even the fucking blockbuster movie didn't reveal shit (basically) and they held it all until the last two episodes and it COMPLETELY SUCKED GIRAFFE BALLS. Strung out over 8 or 9 seasons?

They managed to keep their ratings up, but Fox didn't have much else, it might not have lasted had it not had a long run, but interest defintely waned over the years. Not only was it anti-climatic, it was a shittastic conclusion..

And this is why Lost won't last as long. X-Files had an ability to make single episode stories that could be enjoyed outside of the overall plot. Since Lost doesn't, it's only a matter of time (1 more season?) until people dramatically lose interest.

U2DMfan said:
Moral to the story:

It's not about telling great stories.
It's not about having a great message.
It's not about wanting to be groundbreaking.
It's a money grab, string out the viewer until the point where the bow breaks.

:applaud:

And what can we learn from this? Screw TV drama. If you want a good story, read a book. If you don't have time, watch a movie.

PlaTheGreat said:
I hated Sawyer so much for the frog thing. I would have been happy if Hurley had killed him right then and there. :tsk:
I lost the little respect I had left for Sawyer.

me too...I hope the bastard dies...thats a sign of pure evil.

anyway, this show is starting to suck the big one...to many stories, going nowhere....BORING!:|

Dismantled said:

me too...I hope the bastard dies...thats a sign of pure evil.

anyway, this show is starting to suck the big one...to many stories, going nowhere....BORING!:|

I think the whole frog squishing was great for the character, the problem is everyone knows Sawyer is the bad boy that everyone loves, I guess this was just to remind us he really is a low life

Mofo said:

I think the whole frog squishing was great for the character, the problem is everyone knows Sawyer is the bad boy that everyone loves, I guess this was just to remind us he really is a low life

I agree

RavenBlue said:
I missed this episode, could someone give me a brief synopsis of what happened? Thanks :)

"One of Them"

We open in FLASHBACK on an Iraqi bunker during the first Gulf War. As bombs continue to fall around them, a brutal Republican Guard commander urges his soldiers to destroy their documents before it's too late. The door is kicked in and a squad of American soldiers captures the Iraqi soldiers. They want to know who is in charge and thankfully one of the new prisoners speaks English. Sayid.

Sayid is taken aside for questioning and asked where the commander, Tariq, is. But Sayid is a loyal member of the Republican Guard, so he tells the Americans that Tariq fled long before they arrived. And it looks like the Americans believe him. Until he is led into a room to find Tariq tied to a chair in front of him.

On the island, Rousseau has been spotted near the camp on the beach. And when Sayid asks what she is doing there, she tells him she was looking for him. She leads him through the jungle; she has something important to show him. They arrive in a clearing to find a man hanging in a net from a tree. Rousseau has given them a prisoner.

Back in FLASHBACK, Sayid is being used to translate the interrogation of his own commanding officer. The Americans are looking for a missing helicopter pilot and they know Tariq can lead them to him. But the commander refuses to cooperate. And Sayid's continuing loyalty clouds his own involvement, despite the threats of what's to come.

Sayid is introduced to a man who has some information about what kind of man Sayid's boss really is. He tells Sayid it is very important they find the missing helicopter pilot, but he knows Tariq will never talk to him. That's why Sayid is going to have to make him talk to him. And so Sayid goes back inside the holding room with Tariq. Only this time he brings a few things with him. Horrible things…

Back in the Hatch now, Sayid is "talking" to this prisoner. And honestly, the guy tells a very compelling story. It sounds like he's a victim in all of this, just like the rest of them. And Sayid may have more in common with this man than he realizes. But he wants to be sure. After what he has been through, Sayid needs to be sure. And we see just how much Sayid has learned since that dark day back in Iraq with Tariq. Even after he swore never do anything like that again.

But, you see…that's the thing about human nature. We all have a dark side. And if we need something badly enough, there is almost no limit to what we will do, or who we will become in order to get it.

that sucks, I knew they were going to show a new episode until next week, but it's weird that they would show the pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom