'Lost' is Overrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I mean no offense to those who like the show, but I just think it's overrated. There are a good number of better dramas out there.

Yea, Six Feet Under, 24 and West Wing are so much better than "Lost". Lost has a bunch of pretty boys and girls who can't even act. West Wing has Aaron Sorkin. 24 is 'brilliant!" and Six Feet Under has Sports Nights' Peter Krause. We all know which shows should have won over Lost.

The West Wing is not only the best show on television right now, it is one of the greatest shows in the history of television.

I've always liked West Wing, but it hasn't been as good the last couple of years. The writing has suffered. Leo as the VP candidate? Come on.

And the reason it hasn't been as good is that Aaron Sorkin left a few years back - West Wing doesn't have him anymore and has suffered as a result.

But I disagree about Lost. It is a very good show. Yes, it's overhyped, and TV Guide has drooled over it a bit too much by saturating their covers with it, but it's very well done. I don't mind that it won, although 24 is awesome and could have easily deserved it as well.

I don't know why people say that The West Wing has gone downhill. I agree it's not quite as good as it was in the first 4 seasons, but it's still damn good. No show on TV excites me as much right now. And I like Leo as VP.

timothius said:
I watched 1 1/2 episodes. When I realised I was about to gouge my eyes out with the remote control I stopped watching.

I just don't get it.

1 1/2 episodes of what? Are you talking about Lost or The West Wing?

Lost is filled with a bunch of wanna be actors who couldn't cut it in real tv shows/movies, but because they're so attractive, that got on the show.

And for those who were watching tonight, did you see the reaction on that one guys' face who is even a part of Lost? It was almost as if he was thinking, "Uhhh shit....I never expected our crappy show to win."

Another thing I discovered about Lost, that I'm sure you have as well -

Is that it's so racially diverse.

You have your African male, middle eastern, austrailian female, american actors, african-american's, South Korea, Latino/a, Canada, and of course your Tolken Old Guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the show for trying to bring a bunch of cultures together, I'm bashing the reason WHY, to me, it seems like it won, was because it's so racially diverse, and that is the only positive thing about the show, because the script, acting, and music is so horrible.

It's like those movies that win Best Picture - 3.5 hour epics, or movies with HUGE budgets that were made just to win best picture.

I like quality for something to win, and if Lost was good, along with being racially/culturally diverse, I'd say sure great. But it just falls in with those best pictures that shouldn't have won just because of the budget and other non-artistic reasons. I'm getting off topic, I know, I'm just rather upset by Lost winning.

I think Lost is overrated as well. A lot of my friends watch it, so I do a lot of skimming when they talk about it on Live Journal.

I think The West Wing is overrated, too. :reject:

To be fair, though, I don't care for any dramas on TV right now, so I think all of them are overrated. :wink:

i've still never seen it. my family is hooked on it, and a show has to be pretty hyped up or totally random something no one watches in order for my family to care. so therefore, i'm inclined to think it's overrated. but who am i to say if i've never seen it.

i've hit my quota for show obsessions for the next several years already. i'm staying away.

U2Fan101 said:
Another thing I discovered about Lost, that I'm sure you have as well -

Is that it's so racially diverse.

You have your African male, middle eastern, austrailian female, american actors, african-american's, South Korea, Latino/a, Canada, and of course your Tolken Old Guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the show for trying to bring a bunch of cultures together, I'm bashing the reason WHY, to me, it seems like it won, was because it's so racially diverse, and that is the only positive thing about the show, because the script, acting, and music is so horrible.

It's like those movies that win Best Picture - 3.5 hour epics, or movies with HUGE budgets that were made just to win best picture.

I like quality for something to win, and if Lost was good, along with being racially/culturally diverse, I'd say sure great. But it just falls in with those best pictures that shouldn't have won just because of the budget and other non-artistic reasons. I'm getting off topic, I know, I'm just rather upset by Lost winning.

Exactly, too many races is not realistic.

Palace_Hero said:

Exactly, too many races is not realistic.

Right.....because we DON'T live in a racially diverse world????
I mean, what are odds that on an airline flight there'd be an Aussie (seeing as how the plane was going from Australia), a couple of Americans, an older person (imagine!), Asians (not like Asia is close or anything to Australia), as well as some African-Americans. In taking that the flight was going from Australia, already an ethnically diverse country, to America, how can you actually criticize a show for representing various proportions of the population? It's more realistic than having a show of solely affulent caucasians, or solely black-americans, no?

I don't really care; I don't watch much TV anymore, to be honest, but most of my friends love the show.

The cynic in me says it's hype but the premise seems interesting enough.

U2Fan101 said:

because the script, acting, and music is so horrible.

First off, it's quite a far cry to say that Terry O'Quinn (your 'token old guy') can't act. He's been in the business far too long, and is actually quite respected by the acting community. Indeed, he CAN act. The same for actresses like Yunjim Kim (the Korean woman), who not only manages to be bilingual on set, but has also mastered the very subtle Korean inflections that are often missing from other actors when they speak different languages. And Jorge Garcia is brilliant. Ther is no question about that.

I'll admit, some aspects of the show are somewhat off (Naveen Andrew's accent isn't quite Arab) and that TV Guide HAS hyped it quite highly. HOWEVER, what show doesn't have flaws?

I'm curious as to how much of the music you've heard--as a music major/teacher, I can honestly tell you that what they've composed is quite brilliant, especially in having a full orchestra record each piece, as opposed to simply having 'track' music. The orchestral pieces are highly layered--there's a background, overwhich the composer has has sampled various other songs/snippets of music from within the show's repetoire, creating a highly complex and dynamic, interwoven piece of music. Please don't criticize if you don't have the background.

I watched half of the first episode, and I thought it oozed of cheese and was filled with over-acting, so I turned it off. Now with all of the talk about it, I feel like I'm missing something. :reject:

U2Fan101 said:
Lost is filled with a bunch of wanna be actors who couldn't cut it in real tv shows/movies, but because they're so attractive, that got on the show.

Jorge Garcia and Terry O'Quinn are a couple of studmuffins aren't they?

Wow, this is the first time I've ever actually been in the position where I have to DEFEND "Lost".

True, the acting isn't GREAT, but it's certainly watchable. But the reason this is the best show on television is because the writers have actually come up with something original, mysterious, consistent, well-written, well-paced, fascinating, compelling, suspensfull, and just plain good.

24 seems to have similar qualities, but I never watched it. I know everyone has their opinion, and I don't have any problem with that, but to say it's not a great show because the acting isn't Emmy-worthy is just silly.

I'm still trying to figure out the justification behind why Lost isn't a "real" T.V. show. In my opinion it's the most captivating drama in years. (Well, besides Nip/Tuck :drool:)

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

Please don't criticize if you don't have the background.

I do have the background. I've played piano since I was five, percussion since I was 10, went to Interlochen Arts Academy and camp, and am pursuing a music performance degree. So as for the music goes, I -do- have the background, and I find that music in "Lost" is subpar to the other orchestral/classical influenced music in tv shows and movies.

As for the acting and script, sure I don't have a background, but I've seen my fair share of acting and read my fair of scripts and it doesn't cut the cake.

Lancemc said:
But the reason this is the best show on television is because the writers have actually come up with something original, mysterious, consistent, well-written, well-paced, fascinating, compelling, suspensfull, and just plain good.

The writing of 'Lost' isn't any of that. That is an accurate description of why 'The West Wing' is the best show on television, though.

West Wing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lost

West Wing had been a great show but it is no longer near the best show on television.

--

C.J. taking over Leo's job? I'd grow a trunk before that would happen. :madspit: :eyebrow:

And then Leo, a few weeks into sobriety, being nominated as a V.P. candidate? Don't think so. My poodle would be better qualified.

Aaron Sorkin and his incredible dialogue is what made that show.

Rescue Me
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

All of these are better shows.

Westport said:
West Wing had been a great show but it is no longer near the best show on television.

--

C.J. taking over Leo's job? I'd grow a trunk before that would happen. :madspit: :eyebrow:

And then Leo, a few weeks into sobriety, being nominated as a V.P. candidate? Don't think so. My poodle would be better qualified.

Aaron Sorkin and his incredible dialogue is what made that show.

Rescue Me
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

All of these are better shows.

What are you talking about? Leo's been sober since the beginning of the show. His alcoholism took place before the show. Unless you're talking about his heart....and in that case look to reality. Dick Cheany is a heart attack waiting to happen, and he's VP. And C.J. as chief of staff...I was a bit skeptical at first but it works. She's intelligent and capable. And the dialog is still incredible...yes, it's not quite as good when Sorkin was there, but it's still incredible.

Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Daily Show are tied for #2. West Wing is #1.

Back
Top Bottom