'Lost' is Overrated - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2005, 04:41 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Good thread....

Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 AM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:30 PM
The only good thing about Lost is its high proportion of attractive cast members

Old 09-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Naveen Andrews ...

Old 09-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #19
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero

Exactly, too many races is not realistic.
Right.....because we DON'T live in a racially diverse world????
I mean, what are odds that on an airline flight there'd be an Aussie (seeing as how the plane was going from Australia), a couple of Americans, an older person (imagine!), Asians (not like Asia is close or anything to Australia), as well as some African-Americans. In taking that the flight was going from Australia, already an ethnically diverse country, to America, how can you actually criticize a show for representing various proportions of the population? It's more realistic than having a show of solely affulent caucasians, or solely black-americans, no?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:30 PM
I don't really care; I don't watch much TV anymore, to be honest, but most of my friends love the show.

The cynic in me says it's hype but the premise seems interesting enough.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fan101

because the script, acting, and music is so horrible.
First off, it's quite a far cry to say that Terry O'Quinn (your 'token old guy') can't act. He's been in the business far too long, and is actually quite respected by the acting community. Indeed, he CAN act. The same for actresses like Yunjim Kim (the Korean woman), who not only manages to be bilingual on set, but has also mastered the very subtle Korean inflections that are often missing from other actors when they speak different languages. And Jorge Garcia is brilliant. Ther is no question about that.

I'll admit, some aspects of the show are somewhat off (Naveen Andrew's accent isn't quite Arab) and that TV Guide HAS hyped it quite highly. HOWEVER, what show doesn't have flaws?

I'm curious as to how much of the music you've heard--as a music major/teacher, I can honestly tell you that what they've composed is quite brilliant, especially in having a full orchestra record each piece, as opposed to simply having 'track' music. The orchestral pieces are highly layered--there's a background, overwhich the composer has has sampled various other songs/snippets of music from within the show's repetoire, creating a highly complex and dynamic, interwoven piece of music. Please don't criticize if you don't have the background.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:50 PM   #22
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:30 AM

I watched half of the first episode, and I thought it oozed of cheese and was filled with over-acting, so I turned it off. Now with all of the talk about it, I feel like I'm missing something.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Lost is filled with a bunch of wanna be actors who couldn't cut it in real tv shows/movies, but because they're so attractive, that got on the show.

Jorge Garcia and Terry O'Quinn are a couple of studmuffins aren't they?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, this is the first time I've ever actually been in the position where I have to DEFEND "Lost".

True, the acting isn't GREAT, but it's certainly watchable. But the reason this is the best show on television is because the writers have actually come up with something original, mysterious, consistent, well-written, well-paced, fascinating, compelling, suspensfull, and just plain good.

24 seems to have similar qualities, but I never watched it. I know everyone has their opinion, and I don't have any problem with that, but to say it's not a great show because the acting isn't Emmy-worthy is just silly.

I'm still trying to figure out the justification behind why Lost isn't a "real" T.V. show. In my opinion it's the most captivating drama in years. (Well, besides Nip/Tuck )
Old 09-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing

Please don't criticize if you don't have the background.

I do have the background. I've played piano since I was five, percussion since I was 10, went to Interlochen Arts Academy and camp, and am pursuing a music performance degree. So as for the music goes, I -do- have the background, and I find that music in "Lost" is subpar to the other orchestral/classical influenced music in tv shows and movies.

As for the acting and script, sure I don't have a background, but I've seen my fair share of acting and read my fair of scripts and it doesn't cut the cake.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #26

Quote:

"Lost" is subpar to the other orchestral/classical influenced music in tv shows and movies.

so simply playing pre-recorded tracks from established artisits constitutes as 'better?'
Old 09-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
But the reason this is the best show on television is because the writers have actually come up with something original, mysterious, consistent, well-written, well-paced, fascinating, compelling, suspensfull, and just plain good.
The writing of 'Lost' isn't any of that. That is an accurate description of why 'The West Wing' is the best show on television, though.

West Wing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lost
Old 09-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 06:30 AM
West Wing had been a great show but it is no longer near the best show on television.

--

C.J. taking over Leo's job? I'd grow a trunk before that would happen.

And then Leo, a few weeks into sobriety, being nominated as a V.P. candidate? Don't think so. My poodle would be better qualified.

Aaron Sorkin and his incredible dialogue is what made that show.

Rescue Me
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

All of these are better shows.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Westport
West Wing had been a great show but it is no longer near the best show on television.

--

C.J. taking over Leo's job? I'd grow a trunk before that would happen.

And then Leo, a few weeks into sobriety, being nominated as a V.P. candidate? Don't think so. My poodle would be better qualified.

Aaron Sorkin and his incredible dialogue is what made that show.

Rescue Me
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

All of these are better shows.
What are you talking about? Leo's been sober since the beginning of the show. His alcoholism took place before the show. Unless you're talking about his heart....and in that case look to reality. Dick Cheany is a heart attack waiting to happen, and he's VP. And C.J. as chief of staff...I was a bit skeptical at first but it works. She's intelligent and capable. And the dialog is still incredible...yes, it's not quite as good when Sorkin was there, but it's still incredible.

Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Daily Show are tied for #2. West Wing is #1.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:56 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

'rescue me' is damn good.