los angeles is on fire!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i am in no way trying to minimize the situation, but i grew up out there, and doesn't this happen quite often, if not almost every year, all the wildfires and such?

i also hope that everyone stays safe.

bonosgirl84 said:
i am in no way trying to minimize the situation, but i grew up out there, and doesn't this happen quite often, if not almost every year, all the wildfires and such?

I was thinking the same thing.

2_22_092905_wildfires2.jpg

3_23_092805_socal_wildfires.jpg

PH2005092902074.jpg

Last edited:
good, you have an elvis.
:up:

(the water bombing helicopter, if you didn't know :) )

out of curiosity, and an undying addiction of hating fires, what causes california's fires, on the whole? pyros? carelessness?
:slant:

i used to love to sit through the chaparral exhibit at the los angeles museum of natural history.

A unique exhibit, "Chaparral: A Story of Life from Fire," demonstrates fire's importance in the life cycle of chaparral through a multi-media presentation that surrounds the visitor with the sights, sounds and even the smells of a chaparral ecosystem.

remembering my monthly trips to that museum is the only time i truly get homesick for southern california.

So.CAL misses you; wish you were here! :sad:

The museum's comment is right on...these fires are part of nature's way, through intent or accident, to maintain the balance of the ecosystem.....

:mad: I mean, kinda makes clearing the hillside for more homes and mansions easier doesn't it????

:wave:

Angela Harlem said:
out of curiosity, and an undying addiction of hating fires, what causes california's fires, on the whole? pyros? carelessness?
:slant:

Southern California is an arid region - naturally dry. We pump in the water to keep it green (and for auto detailing :wink: ).

But given that many wildfires start about the same time we have Santa Ana winds (gusty dry winds that come from the high deserts), it makes me wonder how many are started intentionally.

Last year, I know that a couple of fires were arson.

it's so sad. . .We live in the valley, Mid-valley area. I'm close enough that there are ashes on my car. I give it to those firefighters. They rock!!

This world...

I looked for a fire thread yesterday, but didn't find one. We're in Ventura County and yes, there are ashes all around. Not in a hilly area, but when they said the fire was in eastern Ventura County... it was just a few miles away. We have friends in Bell Canyon, which is still in harms way... Hope his house survives... Just heard on the news that the fires are 20% contained. At least that is for this valley fire...

I think there should be a proposal for National Firefighters Day, that is if there isn't one already. They have simply amazing, at least from watching the non-stop coverage yesterday :applaud:

:eyebrow: I guess no one posted here before this is because it seems to happen often in Ca. I know, I am from LA, and it Always seems to be the 'dry season' for this!! Despite the warnings, and all-the fires seem to happen every year! I thought all the recent rains out there helped, but maybe wasn't enough! I will definetly keep them all in my prayers, I still have family there! :wink:

all the rain increased the amount of vegetation that grew... Yes, we have a fire season every year - but this one started a little early, not to mention the heat and the low humidity and the early Santa Ana winds that come with the territory...

Everyone here knows that I was a police officer for 18 years BUT...those Firefighting men and women are my heros...:up: always have and always will...

Not only from what I saw in the line of duty, but from a personal note - local fireman have come to my house to render first aid to me and several times to check the smell of something burning; since we have a home business, they sometimes pull up for a property inspection; each courteous and professional in every way...
These men and women are not paid enough to do their jobs; let's never take them for granted.....:applaud:

Ahh, the smell of ash in the air. It's fire season. I too must give props to the brave firefighters, so far it is estimated that they have saved over 2100 homes. I also think that these residents and the city/county are more prepared. They have been making a big deal about the brush clearance.

On another note, the fire coverage as per usual is way over the top. Alas, Chuck Henry's van has yet to catch fire.

trojanchick99 said:

On another note, the fire coverage as per usual is way over the top. Alas, Chuck Henry's van has yet to catch fire.

:lmao:
that was too funny! I'd forgotten about that

Those reporters not listening to the police then the firefighter end up having to help them.

And Brush Clearance seems to be the key :up: The homes that have good clearance seem to almost always get saved.

:lol:

I grew up in SoCal (Camarillo), and remember on several occasions watching flames and smoke on the ridges of the surrounding mountains. We never really thought much of it, but it sure did look cool at night, though.

trojanchick99 said:

Today on Inside Edition, they did a story about how even Hollywood has been affected by the fires! :shocked:

"actress Sally Field was forced to walk the red carpet today while ashes rained down upon her as she arrived for a charity fundraiser..also, singer/actress Jennifer Lopez surveyed the devastated areas from an airplane as she arrived in Los Angeles for a charity fashion show"

I hope they're both okay :( :sad:

:rolleyes:

Bono's American Wife said:

Today on Inside Edition, they did a story about how even Hollywood has been affected by the fires! :shocked:

"actress Sally Field was forced to walk the red carpet today while ashes rained down upon her as she arrived for a charity fundraiser..also, singer/actress Jennifer Lopez surveyed the devastated areas from an airplane as she arrived in Los Angeles for a charity fashion show"

I hope they're both okay :( :sad:

:rolleyes:

And the Governator was supposed to be in Thousand Oaks today at one of the command centers or something. :rolleyes:

Bono's American Wife said:
singer/actress Jennifer Lopez surveyed the devastated areas from an airplane as she arrived in Los Angeles for a charity fashion show"

Woah, that's a pretty bad typo. They called J-Lo a singer.

:D

Back
Top Bottom