Lord Stanley's Finals:New Jersey V. Anaheim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't switched teams as of yet.

The Duck Cave will redeem...

I knew Gretz, *cough* I mean Kariya, was going to light it up today! He just got *smoked* by Stevens....I really, really hope he doesn't have another concussion because of it...but man, was that goal something else or what? A total throwback Gretzky goal: skating hard down the left side, and just unloaaaaading her, right into the top corner, glove side....made Brodeur look ordinary...

But I digress...the Devils still have a very good shot of winning this thing, as their home record is impeccable. With so much on the line--Chizip and Cujo--it should be a great game 7!! Can you feel it?!!

PS: Anyone think Stevens will get suspended for that hit? Babcock seems to think he should.

Michael Griffiths said:
....made Brodeur look ordinary...

Normally I'd agree with that... seeing as Brodeur has been ordinary the entire playoffs... don't refute it, for it is true!

But, that shot was deflected by Colin White (or another D)... point blank and pretty much no chance for Brodeur. Not as bad as the "Roy-esque" stick self-deflection a few games back. Rules him out as a Conn Smythe candidate for sure.

PS: Anyone think Stevens will get suspended for that hit? Babcock seems to think he should.

No, on CBC post-game they pretty much cleared that situation up. It was a legal hit in my opinion... but then again I didn't see Stevens until it was too late. Could have been charging if it was more than one and a half steps... didn't look like it though. Besides they didn't even give him a penalty. The league is not obligated to review the play if no match penalty was called... I've seen Stevens get off the hook before for such tomfoolery. Back in 2001, when the Devils played the Leafs... old Scotty left the penalty box to participate in a brawl. Definitely a suspendable act. Although, it is Paul Kariya... and the Player's Association and the NHL like to look out for their big name players. In my estimation, at most it'll be a fine... it is Game 7 of the Final after all.

But I digress...the Devils still have a very good shot of winning this thing, as their home record is impeccable. With so much on the line--Chizip and Cujo--it should be a great game 7!! Can you feel it?!!

Oh it will... overtime again. Conn Smythe to Giguere unfortunately... I think anyone who has watched the Ducks progress has seen them turn into a multi-dimensional team. Hot goaltending in round one... mind-numbing defense in rounds 2-4 (ignoring Game 5 :sexywink:). There's just no other stand-out player for either team... other than Friesen.

Cujo, at first I agreed with you, but after seeing more slowmotion highlights, I'm beginning to suspect the hit was not legal. Stevens used his elbow and forearm in the delivery to Kariya's upper areas (ie, head area). It appears others agree too:

http://sportsnet.ca/nhl/story/10550...ckey&association=nhl&STORY_OID=10550851438767

kariya_outcold340_182_10550865247013.jpg

Kariya lay flat on his back for nearly a minute after Scott Stevens caught the Ducks captain with his head down. (AP)

Kariya answers the call after getting bell rung

While Colin Campbell insisted that Scott Stevens used his shoulder to deliver the brunt of the blow, TV replays showed there was a prominent forearm and plenty of elbow.

(posted Jun. 8, 11:11AM EDT)
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Paul Kariya said it was a late hit but the NHL disagreed.

Saturday: Captain Duck leads flock to Game 7

The crunching bodycheck Scott Stevens laid on Kariya in Saturday's Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final will be debated right up until the two captains square off again to decide which of the two will hoist the Stanley Cup after Game 7 on Monday night.

The hit was so contentious that Colin Campbell, the NHL's director of hockey operations, felt impelled to issue a statement to the media during the third period in support of a decision by referees Dan Marouelli and Brad Watson not to call a penalty.

"There were two factors I looked at in reviewing the hit," said Campbell. "One, the hit was a legal hockey hit, as Stevens struck Kariya with his shoulder.

"Two, in reviewing the hit frame by frame, it was clear that the hit occurred less than one second after Kariya made the pass."

The hit occurred at 6:16 of the second period with Anaheim leading 3-1.

Kariya, who was having his best game of the series with two assists in the first period, had just passed the puck as he crossed the blue-line and glanced towards his teammate when Stevens lowered the boom.

Stevens is six foot two and 215 pounds. Kariya is five foot 10 and 182 pounds.

Kariya lay flat on his back for nearly a minute getting his breath back. He was able to leave the ice on his own legs, but with help from his teammates.

The sight of the Ducks star and captain prone on the ice shocked the capacity crowd at Arrowhead Pond into silence, but they cheered wildly when Kariya returned within five minutes.

"The doctors did some tests but I felt great," he said. "They cleared me to go and I was back on the ice."

Stevens also leveled Eric Lindros, now of the Rangers, in his final game for the Philadelphia Flyers in an Eastern Conference final game in 2000. Lindros suffered a concussion on the play.

"I thought it was a little bit late," Kariya said of the check that made his legs wobble.

"I didn't like the hit, obviously," he said. "That's Scott's game. He's very patient with his hits and he times them right.

"He waits for his opportunity and he's done that throughout his career."

While Campbell insisted the shoulder delivered the brunt of the blow, TV replays showed a prominent forearm and plenty of elbow.

"I saw a couple of replays and it looked a little bit like the elbow," said Kariya. "That's the way he hits so it's a fine line there."

Kariya's career was in jeopardy five years ago when he suffered a concussion from a Gary Suter cross-check to the head. The injury forced him off Canada's team for the 1998 Olympics.

This time, however, the Vancouver native jumped back into the play immediately and teed up a slapshot that whizzed past goaltender Marty Brodeur to give Anaheim a 4-1 lead.

"What an incredible way to respond," said Ducks forward Steve Rucchin. "That's the reason why he wears the `C' and he's our leader.

Kariya, who makes $10 million US per season, had one lone assist in the first five games and his lack of production fuelled plenty of critical commentary in the preceding days.

"That's why they pay you the money," Babcock said of Kariya's ability to come through under heavy pressure leading to Game 6.

Ducks defenceman Keith Carney called the Stevens hit a clean hit but joined the chorus insisting it was well after Kariya made the pass.

"It was a clean hit," said New Jersey coach Pat Burns, who said he didn't actually see the violent collision. "The league advised everybody of that so it's a clean hit."

Stevens, who was booed every time he touched the puck after that check, said little.

"It should be harder for those things to happen," he said. "It's pretty well known.

"So, yeah, but you can't let your guard down. Hey, it's a physical game out there."

Kariya wears a different helmet than he did five years ago and he's added a mouthguard to his protective equipment.

"It gagged me a little bit but I found a good one that worked," he said. "I have been wearing it for four years now and also the helmet is a little thicker foam -- the one that PattaFontaine used when he came back."

Ducks head coach Mike Babcock wasn't about to knock referees Dan Marouelli or Brad Watson over the non-call.

"They're doing the best they can," he said. "To me, they're doing everything and they're making the decisions as fast as they can. I think they've done a good job."

Last edited:
Yes, the elbow factor was over-looked. But then again, like Kariya said in a post-game interview:

"That's the way he hits"

Like Marchment with his knee-on-knee hits, and Bryan McCabe with his patented "can-opener" (Dave Manson rip-off)... it's tough to call these guys on what's a legal play or not. A standard needs to be established for "threshold" aggressors like Stevens.

I will only be watching the game in spirit... for I have a ball game at that time. Here's hoping for triple overtime.

Allez Malard.

I got engaged once because my girlfriend would dump me and go out with other guys.

It was around 84 I think. When ever anyone asked me when we were getting married I would say when they balanced the federal budget. We had Reagan and run away deficets then.

She gave me the final heave ho.

it's funny how no one posts while the game is on.

something tells me that the ducks only get a trip to california disney.

that's the suck disney.

Back
Top Bottom