looks or personality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:

On-line communication is far easier for a shy person than the face-to-face stuff. One reason I am shy in person is that I don't know what to say as part of normal social small talk. On-line, I have the luxury of thinking about what I say (and a chance to edit what I say). The computer is a nice, user-friendly wall in communication.

well said! You can be anyone you want to be online! Say things you wouldn't in a social situation. Online personality hides you body language well.

daafish said:

well said! You can be anyone you want to be online! Say things you wouldn't in a social situation. Online personality hides you body language well.

Do you have any idea how many people are farting as they post on this board? 5. That's right 5 people are farting.

MrBrau1 said:
Do you have any idea how many people are farting as they post on this board? 5. That's right 5 people are farting.

:huh:

Thanks for this piece of useless information.

:eyebrow:

:D

Marty (not farting at the moment... oh wait...)

daafish said:

That sounds kind of shady.

I agree that it sounds kind of shady, but I think we're all aware that it still goes on.

nbcrusader said:

On-line communication is far easier for a shy person than the face-to-face stuff. One reason I am shy in person is that I don't know what to say as part of normal social small talk. On-line, I have the luxury of thinking about what I say (and a chance to edit what I say). The computer is a nice, user-friendly wall in communication.

small talk in real life is just like small talk online. that is what i think. i don't get the concept of being shy when one is outgoing online. :huh:

HeadsOnSticks said:
I agree that it sounds kind of shady, but I think we're all aware that it still goes on.

it is shady. but sometimes what's true in theory is not always true in fact. I believe that your personality doesn't just come from the words you say but your actions as well. Body language tells tales too. I believe that's why meeting people in person help to sum up their personality.

This is a very interesting concept, one I've thought about a lot. I've had a handful of friends that have met people online recently. Some are still dating, some didn't last a week after meeting and one just moved in with her after a month of finally meeting her face to face. This blows my mind. I would never in a thousand years be able to do that. I have to see someone's eyes, shake their hand and or give them a hug before I could ever truly feel anything for anyone or to really believe them. Body language is very important to me. I mean we could all be lying about our real lives here in this forum and no one would ever have to know. I can tell you I live this great jet-set life of meeting celebs and hanging out at all the hippest joints in towns and really be an inmate with computer access that just so happens to like U2. But I'm not.

It would be interesting though to see who or what people thought you were by your daily post here in interference. But never would they really know me, even if I told them everything.

I agree completely with those who said shy people find it easier to communicate online. I'm the kind of person who completely freezes up at parties and has trouble making small talk. In addition to being shy, I also have a bad case of astigmitism or "lazy eye," meaning when I actually do get up the nerve to look someone in the eyes, one eye kind of turns in the other direction. Sometimes I think it freaks people out a little. Of course when I'm online no one can see this, and I also have time to think about what I'm going to say rather than just blurting out something stupid due to nerves. (OK, sometimes I do blurt out something stupid even when I'm online, but still...)

Bono's shades said:
I agree completely with those who said shy people find it easier to communicate online. I'm the kind of person who completely freezes up at parties and has trouble making small talk. In addition to being shy, I also have a bad case of astigmitism or "lazy eye," meaning when I actually do get up the nerve to look someone in the eyes, one eye kind of turns in the other direction. Sometimes I think it freaks people out a little. Of course when I'm online no one can see this, and I also have time to think about what I'm going to say rather than just blurting out something stupid due to nerves. (OK, sometimes I do blurt out something stupid even when I'm online, but still...)

Bono, maybe you should wear your shades at parties!

I am also shy, and sometimes even have trouble posting online.
However, i much prefer the face-to-face communication, so I can really know or believe to know what the other person thinks of me. However, i believe that looks are the determining factor for the formation of any romantic relationship in that if you are not physically attracted to the other person, you will have no physical incentive to be with them. But on the other hand, personality is far more important once the relationship has been formed, as others have noted. To give a personal example, there is a woman at my workplace, who I've come to know pretty well and is attractive, charming, and extremely nice. i am attracted to her far more than than any woman I have ever met, including many that were more attractive. i guess what I'm trying to say is, try to meet as many potential partners as possible and you will eventually find the right combination of qualities that are attractive to you.
This thread will never end.

You want answers?

You want the truth?

Dial 1-900-MixALot.

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
....most people i have met in person tend to be shy. which always surprises me.

This has completely shocked me in a few cases. I met one Interferencer who was REALLY shy in person - pretty different from the online persona. After meeting the individual, I was convinced that they really didn't like me. It was just the shyness.

I do not hide behind anything here at Interland...most of the Interlanders I have met can tell you that.

Hopefully I wasn't the one who shocked Mrs. Edge or MVD by my appearance/opposed to online photos (which I have very few of).

:yikes:

i'm shy at first but when i get over the initial shyness and nervousness i'm fine. i can make small talk with the best of them....i'd like to think. :eeklaugh:

and i think that it's a combination of both looks and personality. cause let's face it when your at a party where you don't know many people it's not the man/woman's personality the gets you off your butt moves you across the room to chat and ask for their phone #. well at that's never happened to me.

i think for the most part (not including online stuff cause that's a totally different situation) looks are what starts things off with a potential partner and personality keeps you there.

Mrs. Edge said:
Actually Zone, you are one of the people who is pretty much exactly as you seem! :D

i spent the weekend once with a bunch of interferencers.
they were all exactly as they seemed.

I think both matter.........

well, I tell you this, I have had pple email or PM me over the net, and once they say something like 'so what do u do?' or 'tell me about you' - well, they way I wackily am, I never really here from them again.

I remember one Interferencer who mailed me over the time I said I was feeling pretty down (when I first started), but, because I dont do much with my life - never heard from him again.

And this has happened on a few occasions with me....its like...I scare pple off or something.........although internet conversation isnt always a healthy thing...I think you are better understood when in the actual company of that person.

Lookwise, I scare every guy off....I have so far.

I dunno, Im just happy enough hanging with guys and being a tomboy really.

:happy:

mad1 said:
I think both matter.........

I remember one Interferencer who mailed me over the time I said I was feeling pretty down (when I first started), but, because I dont do much with my life - never heard from him again.

And this has happened on a few occasions with me....its like...I scare pple off or something.........

i know this feeling...it happens to me all the time.

Back
Top Bottom