Looking to form a suport group- U2 fans who dislike Coldplay, please confess!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
holy fucking crap. after actually reading some of the posts, i'm inclined to agree with yertle in supporting this thread being shut down.

Right Shaun! :yes: Cool sig you got there!

Michael G. brought up the Clocks/UF thing, and I have to say, I always thought of Clocks as a ripoff of UF. I have heard others say it too. It seems to be a direct ripoff in a lot of ways, but the main thing is UF is far superior in lyrics, melody, and the singer's voice!! The basic sound and style is there, but the lyrics of Clocks are so lame, and the tune loses its melody and resorts to a monotone duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh, which sucks, and IMO if someone does that, they are a crappy songwriter. UF is much more beautiful and artsy and good. But I do think they tried to copy it. Play it, then play UF, back to back, and you'll see. The biggest difference is Clocks is by far the weaker song, and don't even get me started on how much worse Martin's voice is than Bono's even at his most strained!! The hilarious thing is, a few months ago someone published a rumor that said U2's new album was being influenced by Coldplay's Clocks, and I thought, how? This is the song Coldplay stoled from U2, now we're stealing it back! :lmao: Coldplay will NEVER be U2!!

Hm...weird, I've never gotten the impression that Clocks was a rip off of anything. I'll have to listen to Clocks and UF closely. I really like Clocks, especially the bass line. I agree, the lyrics aren't impressive (besides the ones used in my sig and most likely taken out of context, but it's how I feel sometimes so haters can deal with it). I guess I don't see the point in comparing them when it's highly doubtful that Coldplay intentionally copied UF and the songs are about 20 years apart. :shrug:

I must say I'm becomming more and more of a Coldplay fan simply because there's so little else out there that interests me right now. I'm a HUGE David Gray fan, but wasn't too impressed with his new album. Sorry, I'm not a Radiohead fan (my respect, but I just don't like the music). Regretfully, I don't have time to get into the lesser known indie or alt stuff.

So right now Coldplay is my main "Top 40" interest from across the pond. I was impressed by their performance at the recent Grammys and really REALLY like the song Don't Panic (I like the riff in the middle, I know nothing about playing guitar, but it sounds refreshingly simple and reminds me of Edge...so maybe that doesn't count). I kinda like Chris Martin's voice, but only for about three songs in a row. When he sings "nothing else compares...." during Clocks, it reminds me of Bono :D

When people criticize Colplay's lyrics, I think many don't realize they aren't concrete songwriters in the sense of using the words, alone, to convey the sentiment intended to be expressed. A lot of what Coldplay does is impressionism...it's a combination of short phrases, words, and ideas with a particular sound to create the intended emotion. For example, when Chris Martin repeats, in 'Clocks', "Nothing else compares," over and over again, we're not really supposed to *know* what he's on about, but rather *feel* what he's on about. It's the phrase in conjuction with the music that creates the lyrical sense, not the literal composition itself. This is the style they use in almost all of their songs, and it's easy to criticize when you don't realize this is what they're up to.

HeartlandGirl said:
Okay, we get it. You don't like Coldplay.

Next!
:lol:

It's funny that people say that Clocks is a rip off of UF. and the "A songwriter sucks when he resorts to a monotone duh duh duh duh" - Fuck, how long have you been a U2 fan? Bono has been putting in goofy things that go along with rhtyhm of the songs forever. Take Pride for example... "oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh" - is that bad song writing? According to your definition!

I have been arguing with people FOR years who have told me that U2 rips off this band, and that band......there are VERY few bands that you cannot pick up a song and say "that is COMPLETELY original." Even OUR U2.

I get the point about personal taste....I could see why someone might not like Martin's voice......and fine, you don't like Coldplay! We got the point.....

But your argument of "he sucks as a songwriter" doesn't really hold up when he does the same thing as the songwriter you hold up sooo highly. :shrug:

who said they were TRYING to be u2?

i don't hear the uf/clocks thing at all...

u2kitten, i don't like the ataris. i don't like any of those crap bands that you listed in diamond's chevelle thread. in fact i HATE them. i think that anyone who writes a song "she hates me nah nah nah nah" can't be a great song writer.

you agree with shaun vox, so why don't you play nice as well? fine, personal taste is a great thing to hide behind. but deathbear's mock love of sum 41 and default threads get shut down, and if i started launching a bunch of seriously opinionated attacks under the pretense that they were valid based on 'personal taste', i have a feeling i'd get closed down as well.

isn't this just the same thing?

IWASBORED: I have a right to hate Coldplay and you have every right to hate the 'crap' bands. "She fuckin hates me" may have lame lyrics, but at least it's entertaining and tuneful, and the singer's voice doens't sound like a whiney, grouchy old lady with butt boils like Chris Martin's does. Look, I opened this thread because I was fed up with the ultra Coldplay glorification, and ok they have a right to it, but I wanted to see how many others don't care for them and get their opinions too.

As I said before, if Coldplay fans are offended or hurt by this thread, DON'T READ IT!! It has just as much right to exist as a pro-Coldplay one, or a pro or anti anything thread. The only thing that is bad here is a U2 bashing thread because this is a U2 board. Other band shoud be respected on their boards, and I don't go to the boards of the bands I hate and troll. That is rude. Even mods always say if a thread offends you don't click on it! I don't see what your problem is. If you like them go post in the pro one. If we wrote everything off to 'oh well we all have our own personal taste' there would be no need for any discussions:tsk: Why can't people state why they like or dislike a band, song or album without somebody jumping in to tell them their reasons are stupid and they don't have a right to them? :scream: It's that easy- if you like them and don't want to hear it, go play in the Coldplay loving thread and ignore this!!

As far as it getting closed for fighting, I had avoided it, and so had everyone else, and it had dropped fast until you and zoney decided to bump it with more critical comments towards me I must answer. I'd be glad to give this thread up if everyone else would!

Originally posted by zonelistener
Fuck, how long have you been a U2 fan?

20 years, since War when I was 13. :)

Bono has been putting in goofy things that go along with rhtyhm of the songs forever. Take Pride for example... "oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh" - is that bad song writing?

No, not the same thing at all. Bono's oh oh's in Pride are very melodic and fit the song, even better than any words could. They are perfect. I don't think he did that to cop out because he couldn't think of anything to say. The tune is not monotone either, it is an excellent melody.

The Clocks thing I'm talking about is his actual singing the main part of the song other than the chorus, with lines like 'part of the disease' and 'open doors and ticking clocks' THAT part has a monotone duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh thing instead of a tune. UF, Bad and Pride are some of U2's best musical melody work. Another good example is RHMT. The closest I've ever heard U2 go to sounding monotone cop out was Elevation, 'mole digging in a hole' but even that is better than the Clocks thing.

Last edited:
it doesn't offend me as a coldplay fan, and i never said you had to like them. it annoys me because i can't figure out how the mods let you keep this open. it's not the thread that offends me, i don't understand why you can slag off bands and say their singers sound like someone's crotchety old grandmother and suddenly it's seen as a wholesome discussion, whereas an 'i hate sum 41' thread would be locked.

you edited your post. your arguement that coldplay is not melodic prompts me to ask you to define melodic. saying that anything you deem to not be melodic is bad is a very narrowminded opinion. it's still your personal preference and you're entitled to that, but it's narrowminded. makes me wonder if in the last 20 years you've put anything in your cd player other than a u2 fans. i know some people around here have that probelm--they get JT stuck in the tray and refuse to take it out for a whole decade.

Last edited:
Because bear has a rep for shit stirring and they knew what he was up to. He wanted to play games and act up. This was, at least at first, an honest thread. I wanted serious answers and a serious discussion, not jokes and crap. It was okay until the Coldplay fans came in and got bent out of shape and the insults got personal. Again, if everyone else would just drop this thread, I'd be glad to myself. I'm tired of fighting about it.

Last edited:
let's see what happens if i start a thread. i have a feeling it's just got something to do with who the mods like and who tehy dislike. i'll find a complacent pleban who barely leaves the hole to start a thread about how i had to turn off HTTT cos i couldn't take it anymore.

well...if that had actually happened...

What do you mean who they like and don't? Who me? I have never been a favorite of the mods :huh: :confused: I always thought everybody liked bear. That has nothing to do with it. It's the subject matter and the intentions. They can tell. What you're doing right now is shit stirring, and unecessary:( If you start a thread to 'see what will happen' that is shit stirring too. If you really wanted to know, it wouldn't be. I really wanted to know. That's all I can say. :sigh:

i know i can't just go start a thread asking who hates some band. i'm not as stupid as i look.

i'm not 'shit stirring', as you so elegantly put it. so far i've seen you say chris martin is ugly, and say he sounds like a whiny old lady with boils on her ass. go for that clocks thing, i don't care about that. if you really want to gripe about how tehy're not going to be the next u2, go ahead and argue until you wear the keys off the keyboard. it's the same thing, "shit stirring" and going off on a band cos you don't like their looks or name-calling.

MVD75, there's a popcorn sale downtown, you didn't raid the table did you? :wink:

*looks out the window*

so was your rampage responsible for the boxes of comics that the comic book store guy is picking off the sidewalk?

First off, I own both Coldplay's albums and I bought the first one before most of you would've known they existed. :p

I don't think there's much point in trying to fault Coldplay musically, because there's not much wrong. They're all sturdy players, while John Buckland plays the odd nice ringing riff. Chris Martin can sing, his voice does hold up well live and although he's never had Bono's charisma he's working on it. That said, solid musicianship, good melodies and a handy frontman do not a great band make.

There's nothing wrong with Coldplay, but they're hardly a band to take the breath away. Yes, they can be achingly dull, and their overplay in the past 12 months has been so ridiculous as to be numbing. Its as if there's nothing else out there. Which is Bullshit.

yertle-the-turtle said:
yes this definitely is a vicarious experience

why not we talk about how much linkin park suck?

oh wait, iris likes them. :sexywink:

:evil:

and if you're really THAT sick of clocks, turn off the radio. you won't miss anything. i wasn't aware that the overplaying of the song was as much of a problem, but it happened with "yellow"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom