Looking to form a suport group- U2 fans who dislike Coldplay, please confess!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grr, too late. I was just coming back to edit my post to read 'wusses' or 'nerds' instead :reject: But I'm sticking with the "very ugly" and "creepy" and "grossed out";)

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
wait till i start the 'radiohead is boring and can't rock although i have to say i think the bends was good but not as great as everyone says' thread. :wink:

Yertle:

Make sure you get your point across. In order to do this, it might be helpful to use words like: pussies, very very ugly, creepy, fucking and shit. :up:

yertle-the-turtle said:
for christ's sake can some mod close this. the main purpose of this thread seems to be to piss off the coldplay fans on this board, and that's trolling. :angry:

Not true at all! If I had wanted to troll, I'd have crashed the pro-Coldplay thread going 'they suck they are so ugly' but I didn't! But still I cannot understant the appeal of this band or their comparison to U2 and I REALLY DID want to find other fans who felt the same way and have a support group. I got the idea from Jick's DMB thread in EYKIW. It's not my fault Coldplay lovers came in here and got offended. This is a U2 board, not a Coldplay board, so I'd think an anti-Coldplay discussion has as much right to exist as a pro-Coldplay one?! As the mods always say, if you don't like the subject matter of a thread, and you know it's gonna piss you off, don't click on it!!

It doesn't piss me off that people don't like Coldplay (I'm not a big fan myself), but it pisses me off when people are childish and insulting and feel the need to make comments on another person's physical appearance. I don't understand hating something so much that it occupies that much of your time. :confused:

It seems as if everything is based on appearance for U2Kitten though....whether it be Ugly Chris Martin, or Ugly soccer socks and American football players with cute asses, or, whatever is over in the PLEBA forum.

Shallow Hal!

Zoner, quit it.

fwiw, I think Clocks is a beautiful composition. Then the vocals start and that beautiful music is drowned out. I got way over Coldplay after Yellow, which was just ok.

Put me in the "I'd rather not listen to them" category. But really, there's some nice music in there, I'm sure.

meegannie said:
I don't understand hating something so much that it occupies that much of your time. :confused:

Oh, it wastes no more time than reading through people's posts looking for something to pick at them for and making critical posts yourself ;)

Don't let it get your drawers in a bunch, it's not worth it! :wave:

Zoner, I admit appearance is a factor with me, but the boringness of soccer an Coldplay have just as much to do with me not liking them! :yes:

Last edited:
If everyone keeps this on topic, which is to post why you may not like Coldplay, this won't be closed.

If anyone has the shits with this thread at the moment, take a break from it, read something else and come back when we're all shiny happy people, ok?

:mad: stupid typos :mad:

I feel better now!

Last edited:
Shiney happy people :happy: Good one! Good song!

Good idea Angela. I'm sorry, I never thought it would turn out like this. My husband stayed home from work today, and he is being a total ASS, so I don't need the stress, see ya :sigh:

why did this have to turn nasty? if you like coldplay, read the title of the thread and realize you might disagree with the sentiments voiced therein. if you dislike coldplay, say so without being insulting. it's not rocket science. :huh:

Not a big Coldplay fan at all. I like a few songs by them and I think those songs are very good (IE Clocks, The Scientist, Yellow). But seeing them live, listening to bootlegs of them and their albums overall I think they are kind of boring. I know their thing is the slower kind of depressing rock and alot of people like that. I think it is ok in small doses but an entire show or album of it makes me yawn. What would be interesting to me is if they tried to incorporate a few more "rocking" type of tunes on their next album along with what they are already doing. Then I would find them more interesting.

yertle-the-turtle said:
for christ's sake can some mod close this. the main purpose of this thread seems to be to piss off the coldplay fans on this board, and that's trolling. :angry:
:hmm:
I think posting a thread like this on a Coldplay forum would be trolling

because of the way this thread turned out now this one is just annoying

The only good thing of Coldplay is that they sell Tour t-shirts that are not made in sweatshops. :up:

I really care either way for Coldplay. I like the songs Politik and Don't Panic, but other than that, I too agree that they are a bit boring. BUT they are refreshing to hear with so many completely worthless bands on the radio these days. And I have a thing for guys that play piano.....

adamswildhoney said:
Okay I personally like Coldplay and of course U2 :wink:

but the one thing I dont understand is why the 2 are compared to another bc their styles of music are completely different??
Coldplay are actually very heavily influenced by U2 (and bands like Echo and the Bunnymen believe it or not). Songs like 'Clocks', 'Yellow' and so on definitely have strong U2 influences. They incorporate the "melodic bass" in much the same way that U2 does. The bass line becomes a very integral part of hte song's melody, a trait you'll find in many, many U2 songs, ranging all the way from 'New Year's Day' to 'Beautiful Day'. 'Clocks' is a shining example of this, and is also a song which uses a melodic atmosphere blended with piano (much like 'The Unforgettable Fire' in this respect). I know many have said they don't see any similarity between these two songs, but the similarity resides in the feeling and atmosphere of both songs. Put it this way, if you were listening to the normal top 40 sludge, and all of a sudden you heard the opening sounds of 'The Unforgettable Fire' it is conceivable you would have a similar reaction if you heard the opening sounds of 'Clocks' instead. Atmospheric piano and distinct rythem and bass. That's the similarity in not just 'Clocks' but in a few other Coldplay songs as well.

Maybe so Michael, but all I can say is when I hear the first strains of UF, I go like this :)
And when I hear the opening strains of Clocks, I change the channel. :shrug:

LOL, me too. But you know why? It's because they play 'Clocks' 300 times a day, and they NEVER play 'The Unforgettable Fire'!! It's easy to get sick of any song if overplayed.

Anyway, I don't think Coldplay are "the next U2"...I don't think they're the next anything. They're just Colplay. Just like U2 were never the next Beatles or Rolling Stones (thank God!). Same with Radiohead, same with Doves, and same with The Strokes, etc...none of these bands are anything but themselves, and I like it that way.

well actually, to be a pest...for me it's not because i've heard it a thousand times. I have heard the song a few times but I don't listen to commercial radio unless I can't find a CD or NPR is boring me (which is essentially never). So my decision to change the channel is because the song annoys me, not because i've heard it too much. ;)

i like them in the studio better than live.
chris martin..great voice no chrisma w/little eye contact on stage.

db3

enjoy ;)

[q]Coldplay's Champion Clears Up Band Rumors

Coldplay blow into Australia as the biggest new British band of 2003 in America. Formed just six years ago after meeting at a London college and with a reputation for being down to earth good guys, they're playing to larger crowds than their nearest rivals, Radiohead. The U.S. media is acclaiming them as the new U2. The "Los Angeles Times" chuckled that Coldplay leader Chris Martin was to be "fitted for a halo" as the heir to "St. Bono's crown".

All which is perturbing to drummer Will Champion. "I honestly don't know how to answer that," he mumbles. "Coldplay aren't into competing with other bands, all we're interested in is to get better as a band." Last month Coldplay played some massive shows in the U.S. These included the legendary Hollywood Bowl to a total of 34,000 fans where they met Brian Wilson backstage, the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver where U2's Stateside fortunes changed forever, and Madison Square Gardens in New York. $46 tickets were exchanging hands for $800 outside the venues. (The Hollywood Bowl show, with a brilliant lighting show, was to have been recorded for a DVD. But Champion says that they might shoot their DVD during their Australian trip).

These shows still might not touch Glastonbury 2002 as Coldplay's most special gig ("It was the first time we played songs off the new album, there were 80,000 to 90,000 there, and that memory will last with me forever") but "Clocks" is exploding all over radio, and "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" is back in the U.S. Top 20 after six months in the stores. Martin accompanied his girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow to the A-list bar mitzvah of Steven Spielberg's daughter; remains a rock star who doesn't smoke, drink or swear; and he's shaved his head. In September, Martin travels to the World Trade Organisation meeting in Cancun, Mexico, to meet with UN Secretary Kofi Annan and politicians to show that people are genuinely concerned about issues as unfair employment conditions.

They've been introducing new songs like "Poor Me" and "Moses" about Paltrow ("Like Moses had power over the sea/ So you've got power over me") into the set. The latest is "The World Turns Upside Down" which Martin finished writing on the afternoon of the second Hollywood Bowl show and which they played that night. "There are about three or four more songs in the works," reports Champion. "We tend to write songs on the road and work them out at soundchecks. We're going into the studios in November."

Coldplay might ask their audiences, "Do you still like us?" but their stardom is nothing they're reluctant about. "Even before we started work on the second album we sensed Coldplay was going to go into another league. The songs were designed for larger venues. We're a band that likes playing these larger places. We don't necessary tend to use the whole space, but we roam a bit. People are a long way off in the audience, so you have to work to include them."

But as they continue their rise, Coldplay also are working to maintain who they are. They've grown from "one song wonders" (read: "Yellow") to a set with a number of highs, including "Clocks", "The Scientist" and "In My Place". They distance the band from the Paltrow/Martin tabloid circus, and try to keep on the thin line between making interesting videos and turning into glam-horses.

"I don't watch music video shows, only a handful that I think are good. 98% of music videos are terrible. We struggle with videos. We're not good at coming up with ideas. We leave it to the directors. I liked the one for 'The Scientist'. That's the one where everything is going backwards, from a horrifying car accident back to happy times. We shot some bits in a forest outside London which was also used as the battleground in the movie 'Gladiator'. The clip for 'Clocks' was good too, weird, in places but still emphasising we're a live band."

What does he remember most about the sessions for "Clocks"? "We'd ended the album but we just needed another kind of song. The piano riff had been in Chris' head for a month. It came together quickly in the studio, quite exciting."

What's his attitude to stage props? "We had a lit up globe (of the world) which was on Chris' piano, it was on the cover of the first album. We used to say it was our symbol of our ambition to conquer the world. The truth was, it was all we could afford in those early days. I don't go for stage props in a big way. A good light show and a good sound engineer is all we need. We have a big light show, there were 300 moving lights at the Hollywood Bowl show."

What's the best rumour he's heard about Coldplay? "Last year there were all these stories that Coldplay were splitting up. I heard a recent one that we don't drink, which I can tell you categorically is not true. There's also one that backstage, Chris and Gwyneth demand a private place where no other band member can go into, which is also utter nonsense." Are Coldplay really that po faced? "We're not interesting in interviews, so it's not surprising we come across like that. When we're in our element, or onstage, we're relaxed and different, I guess. When we're out for the night, we have fun."

Among their backstage riders, Coldplay ask for postcards with stamps. It's one way to keep in touch with their loved ones in Britain. Champion gets very homesick. He rings home every day, and Coldplay fly family members to various shows around the world. There are no diva-type affectations. When Coldplay have four days off in August, all Champion wants to do is to chill out with his girlfriend in their London flat. They rehearse for some major UK festivals, do South America in September and then work on the next album.

What does he do on tour to entertain himself? "I've started to compile my own travel guide for each city. So when I come back, I know the best restaurants, the best bars and the best record stores. I used to keep a journal in the early days of Coldplay, but it took too long, and to be honest, there weren't that interesting things happening to justify it! I guess it's more interesting looking into the bubble than you are looking out."[/q]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom