Looking for opinions about a potential eventual mass purchase of CDs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I have a collection of probably 220-ish albums.

Roughly 120 or so are 'real', store-brought albums.

About 55 are 'free' downloaded albums.

The rest are burned albums that were copied from 'real' copies belonging to my friends or my parents.

I'm still a college student, so I have no money. I haven't made up my mind whether or not I'm ever going to buy all the albums I downloaded(when I have money, that is, don't know when that will be), but I've certainly been thinking about it recently.

But for shits and giggles, I made a list of the 55 downloaded albums, went to amazon.com, and went down the list, adding the cheapest used copy of each album to my cart, just to see how much it would cost to 'legitimize' that chunk of my collection(By the way, a lot of these used records on the Amazon marketplace are C-H-E-A-P - you can get records in 'very good' condition for less than a buck sometimes, usually no more than five bucks at most). It came out to roughly $270 without shipping. Amazon doesn't show you the total shipping costs unless you go all the way to the last page before confirming, and I'm not actually buying now, so quickly doing the math in my head, at $1-3 shipping per album, plus the $270 base, it would come to anywhere between $370-$420. That's not exactly a small amount of money, but it's not exactly that large of an amount of money either.

However...

It's not like I'd be giving any money to any artist or record label - I'd just be giving money to various used record shops or even individuals across the country(because I'd be buying them all used in this hypothetical - if I were to buy them new, the figures would be waaaaay higher).

And 55 new CDs would take up space, and I'd end up ripping them all into ITunes anyway, just like the downloaded albums are now, and that would be my primary means of listening(ITunes/IPod), and the 55 physical CDs would sit on a shelf somewhere.

But for some reason, there's still this pull in me to drop that money, when I have it, on these records just so I can say I have them 'for real'.

I guess my question is, if you were in my position - actually, some of you probably are in similar situations - would you eventually drop the money when you had it to actually buy those records - used - that you had been listening to for years via downloaded copies, knowing that you still wouldn't be giving any money to the artist, that the cds would just end up sitting on a shelf, and that nothing about the way you listen to the music(ITunes/IPod/whatever) would change?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I don't get burnt stuff to begin with, and anything that I have which happens to be burnt (like my RHCP stuff) I won't ever go and buy in a shop, despite the fact I prefer to have hard copies.

Personally, if I was in that possie, I would not waste the money on that.

I completely understand feeling compelled to own legitimate copies of everything. I don't own anything that's burned or freely downloaded. Of course, I spent 10 years or so building my collection. But anyway, instead of going the Amazon marketplace route and spending all that money on shipping, why not just start going to used CD shops? You could probably also trade in CDs you don't want for store credit. Or there's also sites like spun.com or secondspin.com where you'll only pay a single shipping fee.

I guess my question is, if you were in my position - actually, some of you probably are in similar situations - would you eventually drop the money when you had it to actually buy those records - used - that you had been listening to for years via downloaded copies, knowing that you still wouldn't be giving any money to the artist, that the cds would just end up sitting on a shelf, and that nothing about the way you listen to the music(ITunes/IPod/whatever) would change?

Yes.

I've gotten many used CDs to replace some burned copies that I had. Even though the artist isn't getting more money, I still like having an official copy for my sake...the actual disc, the liner notes...it seals the deal. It probably seems like a waste of money to some, but it doesn't to me.

My favorite store to get used CDs went out of business probably over a year ago though, so the burned discs I've been properly replacing since then have all been new purchases.

I'm in the same boat as well. A good chunk of my collection I did not buy. So as and when time and finances permit, I replace those albums with official CDs. I'm sure some people don't even bother with that cos they don't care about the liner notes or whatever but I do. Like Bonochick said, I like to have the real thing even if it is in a slightly used condition. I buy from the Amazon Used section a lot! And also from other online and offline stores. But no way will I replace everything all at once! I just don't have that kind of money... still paying off loans! Ideally I'd love to have legitimate copies of every single album but it's not gonna happen overnight.

I've gotten many used CDs to replace some burned copies that I had. Even though the artist isn't getting more money, I still like having an official copy for my sake...the actual disc, the liner notes...it seals the deal. It probably seems like a waste of money to some, but it doesn't to me.

:up:

Bonochick speaks for me here. I'm not much for having burned copies of things in my collection - sometimes a friend will burn something for me to listen to, and if I like it I'll toss the burned copy and eventually get the CD myself.

When I download things, if I like it, I don't keep it on my hard drive - I put it on my wish list and eventually buy it. The only exceptions are those import CDs that cost an arm and a leg even used. Those usually hang around my hard drive until I stumble across an affordable copy.

I buy LOADS of used CDs - I'm a big supporter of Amazon Marketplace, and there are two local CD shops that have great used selections.

I always wonder if the folks against downloading illegally are also against buying used CDs, since the artist doesn't get the money in either case. (Remember Garth Brooks pitching a hissy some years back about used CDs?)
Then again, I completely understand the downloading issue is also about the principle of the thing, not just having the artist get the dough.

When I was a student, I burned a lot of CDs from friends and admittedly downloaded things illegally. Now that I'm working full-time, though, I've stopped downloading (except live music and things artists put on their websites) and have been buying a lot more CDs. In a silly way, I feel like I have to make up for the fact that I wasn't buying a lot of CDs for the last six years because I was making crap grad student wages. I haven't gotten around to replacing every burned CD I have with an official one, but I'm making a start.

Buying music is good for the music industry and for the artists you love, but don't break the bank getting everything at once.

That's funny. I just sold my entire CD collection (~150) at the record store last week.

You should buy vinyl.

I love buying cd's
the main reason I don't like burnt cd's is because they all sound crap to my ears
but many seem to disagree

I have no issues buying second hand cd's
the artist might not be getting any money
but it beats the cd ending in the trash somewhere
though it's not like i sit around waiting for cd's to become available second hand
if it's good enough I buy it asap

:up:

I completely understand feeling compelled to own legitimate copies of everything. I don't own anything that's burned or freely downloaded. Of course, I spent 10 years or so building my collection. But anyway, instead of going the Amazon marketplace route and spending all that money on shipping, why not just start going to used CD shops? You could probably also trade in CDs you don't want for store credit. Or there's also sites like spun.com or secondspin.com where you'll only pay a single shipping fee.

But the thing is, on the Amazon marketplace, there are a good number of albums going for less than a buck, or just two bucks, in that price range. Used CD shops, while having great deals, would probably never have albums for that cheap. So yeah, I'd be saving on shipping, but whatever I'd be saving on shipping I'd be spending anyway because the albums would be going for $5, $7, instead of 50 cents, $1, $2. Never heard of spun.com or secondspin.com...will give them a look.

But the thing is, on the Amazon marketplace, there are a good number of albums going for less than a buck, or just two bucks, in that price range. Used CD shops, while having great deals, would probably never have albums for that cheap. So yeah, I'd be saving on shipping, but whatever I'd be saving on shipping I'd be spending anyway because the albums would be going for $5, $7, instead of 50 cents, $1, $2. Never heard of spun.com or secondspin.com...will give them a look.
That's true. I hadn't thought of that because one of the shops I used to go to had a blowout rack that I could get amazing deals out of. Another thing you could consider is Half.com, because if you buy multiple albums from the same seller, you save on shipping.

They're good but no way are they gonna beat Amazon Used prices! At least I don't think so from what I've seen. Amazon Used is a gift from heaven! :bow:
Albums that are in low demand are usually really cheap on both sites and secondspin.com puts things on sale or has discount coupon codes all the time.

Only buy proper copies if you think that the album is good or important to you. Waste of money otherwise. Second-hand purchasing is always a cheap and mostly reliable option as well.

The artists not getting any more money thing is a non-issue IMO. Somebody paid for that disc, and the artists have received the money they deserve.

Anyway, if I loved a record enough, I would certainly buy it for cheap just to have a physical copy lying around.

Back
Top Bottom