Looking For Movies Similar To..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
American Beauty.

That is one my top 10 movies of all time, and I'm wondering if there are any more with similar themes and/or plot lines that you would recommend. i.e. I'm looking for movies that have a theme that's saying all of the things we're told to work for, all the things we're told are ideal, all the things we're told will satisfy us and give us the life we've always wanted are empty in the end. Thanks in advance!

How very specific of you. :wink:

I'll have to think about this a little bit. But in the meantime I'd say just to check out Mendes' other films, Road To Perdition and Jarhead. The themes in those films aren't exactly the same, but there are similar threads, and more importantly they continue his impeccible streak of filmmaking goodness.

You need to see all of the "American" series,
American Beauty
American Pie
American Graffiti
American History X
and
American Splendor

Second Little Children, one of my top favourites from this year so far.

Fight Club is pretty similar in those themes, but not so much in terms of plot and style. I know there's more but that's all that springs to mind at the moment.

Hewson said:
You need to see all of the "American" series,
American Beauty
American Pie
American Graffiti
American History X
and
American Splendor

and of course, American Psycho.

Thanks guys! I actually haven't seen any of those yet, but I've been meaning to check a lot of them out.

Except for American Pie....my boycott on that movie and it's 300 sequels still stands.:lol:

The Ice Storm, which was directed by Ang Lee and stars the likes of Sigourney Weaver, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Kevin Kline, Katie Holmes, Joan Allen and Elijah Wood.

It's very similar to American Beauty thematically, but is a stronger film overall - although I can see why American Beauty, which was released later, was a big hit.

Slapnutz said:
The Ice Storm, which was directed by Ang Lee and stars the likes of Sigourney Weaver, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Kevin Kline, Katie Holmes, Joan Allen and Elijah Wood.

It's very similar to American Beauty thematically, but is a stronger film overall - although I can see why American Beauty, which was released later, was a big hit.

Good call.

Back
Top Bottom