looking for anti-spyware software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
What's the best anti-spyware software out there? It seems like there are a gazillion programs out there, for a variety of prices. Some of these prices are outrageous. I don't want to get ripped off. I don't like the idea of having spyware on my computer. I'm tired of spam and telemarketers.

I know it's been awhile since you posted this, but thank you, melon, for letting people know about lavasoft. Just today I realized that my browser was being taken over by an undesirable website, and I figured out how to stop it by finding your post, then reading about what was going on on the lavasoft website.

Thanks again for helping out those of us who aren't as computer savvy. :hug:

Just today I realized that my browser was being taken over by an undesirable website

What happened to make you realize this? If I have windows 98 do I need a spyware program?

Everyone should run a spyware program every once in a while (just my opinion)

EPandAmerica said:

What happened to make you realize this? If I have windows 98 do I need a spyware program?

When I open my browser, I have it set to show a 'blank' page as my homepage. But for about a week, every time I'd open it, there was this stupid search engine website. No matter how many times I deleted it from my internet options, it kept coming back. I knew something was messed up, so that led me on my quest to learn about spyware, etc.

We run Windows 98 at home. I guess anyone who is on the net very often needs to run an anti-spyware program. When I ran ad-aware, we had all kinds of spyware, adware, datamining stuff, and browser take-over stuff on our computer. Wish I'd known about this stuff sooner!

Ad-aware 6 will help with some pop-ups and pop-unders. I may visit the site yertle suggests, too, for even more help. They're so annoying.

bayernfc said:
Does this help with Pop-ups too..... They're driving me insane!

Another way of dealing with popups is to install a new browser, Mozilla for example:
http://www.mozilla.org/
(if you're only interested in a browser and not in a new email client etc. it's advisable to go to the Firebird section).
Apart from the fact that you can set it to suppress pop-ups, it's also quite easy to make it hide adverts, etc. Plus it has far less security holes than Internet Explorer.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom