Look out, the girl scout cookies changed recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnRKeyintheUSA

War Child
I bought ONE box yesterday and I'm glad I didn't get more. I got my fave, tagalongs, but they are now called just 'peanut butter patties.' For years, they had been delicious- a cookie wafer with a blob of peanut butter on top dipped in dark chocolate. The peanut butter was so soft you could lick it off like licking it of the spoon. The chocolate was soft and good. When I bit into my new 'pattie' I was furious because I thought I'd been given something that was stale and left over from last year. Honestly, it looked and tasted exactly like a Reese cup that had been left in the freezer for months. The peanut butter is now hard and tasteless, the chocolate thin, light and poor quality, the wafer chalky. I took it back and asked if I had a bad box, but the lady said they changed the recipe and baking companies and that they were all like that now. They were trying to economize and cut out transfat, but whatever they did dipped them beneath the quality of Walmart 99 cent a box cookies (GS coookies are still $3.50)

I called the 1 800 number to tell them I didn't mean to be mean but honestly they are going to lose faithful customers once they find out how gross the cookies are now. GS cookies have been the one fundraiser kids sell that people actually want and don't just buy out of obligation but that could change. I am so glad I didn't preorder a half dozen boxes like I usually do or I'd be stuck! Now I'm also afraid to buy any other flavor, even the mints, because they may have changed too.

So let this be a warning to only buy one box first and see if you think you can stand it before you waste any more money. The cookies aren't what they used to be.

I'd also like to hear all your comments and opinions once you taste them. Thanks.

We bought a bunch from my boyfriend's niece and have so far tried three kinds, including the peanut butter patties. Taste as good as always to me. :shrug:

U2democrat said:
As long as they don't change the Thin Mints they can do whatever they want.

Change "Thin Mints" to "Samoas/Caramel Delights," and I'm with you.

I like Thin Mints, but that's all my mom bought when I was growing up, and I got soooo sick of them.

Carmel Delights :drool:

A co-worker's daughter's troop was selling cookies before Christmas, and I couldn't resist buying a box. They were as good as always.

Maybe you just got a box that sat in the back of someone's trunk and froze or something? Weird things can happen to chocolate if it gets too cold then goes back to room temperature.

Has anyone had Edy's Girl Scout Cookie ice cream? I had the Carmel Delight lowfat kind, and it was so good :drool:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Has anyone had Edy's Girl Scout Cookie ice cream? I had the Carmel Delight lowfat kind, and it was so good :drool:

No, but I've been meaning to try it. Usually when I crave ice cream, I get Ben & Jerrys or Haggen Daazs (sp?) because they come in small tubs.

I hate to buy those giant Edy's containers because I'll eat a little bit of it to satisfy my craving, and then it'll just sit in my freezer collecting freezer burn.

Sicy said:
Overpriced crappy cookies :tsk:

Yeah. I never thought they tasted any good. But I always buy some anyway, it is for a good cause. But only if the girls themselves are selling them. When I see the moms or whomever selling for the girls, I get annoyed.

I ordered just 1 box of my favorites, luckily I guess. :ohmy: If the Tagalongs/pb patties are a lot different I will be mad!
But at least I won't eat them then so it will probably be good. But the thin mints better not have changed!

I just finished the 1st of 4 boxes of Thin Mints... good as ever :drool:

And there's something about the excitement of something you can only get once a year.

peanut butter sandwiches (not the chocolate covered ones, those are like lame reasces) are my 3rd favorite. I didn't get any this year. I've already eaten my way through one of my two boxes of Thin Mints and 12 of my 15 Samoas. I can't decide which are better...

Also, funny story. The girlscouts from town come and sell cookies at the entrance to the dining hall and do great business. There will be various 8-10 year old girls with a parent and a wagon full of cookies all the time. The dining hall entrance is used for all sorts of tabling, from causes to grad school recruiters to girlscouts. Well the day before Valentine's day the Sexual Health Counselors always hand out "condoms and candy" at the entrance. These are condoms with candy taped to them so you can pretend you are grabbing a few for the lolipop or chocolate or whatever. So I walk into dinner on Feb 13 and right next to each other are a girl scout going "girl scout cookies" and a girl going "condoms and candy!"

after dinner I asked the condoms and candy girl, she said it got awkward when the girlscout asked her mother why everyone kept laughing. :lol:

I quit buying the Girl Scout cookies a couple years ago because it seems to me something changes each year. The cookies get smaller, the boxes get smaller, the flavor is not the same. Not worth it to me. It's just not the same. Another changed American tradition. :sad:

Here in Canada, they're called "Girl Guide Cookies." I bought a box at work a few weeks back, thinking I was helping them out. I stashed them in my drawer for emergency purposes. One evening, I was working late, and pulled out the cookies to fuel my brain. I ended up eating five or six. They were good. Then I looked at the ingredients. Next to the chocolate, the lecithin, the colour # 6, the sugar, and the "tender, loving care," there was TRANS FATS. :(

I opened up my heart, and my wallet, and those girls tried to kill me. :angry:

Last edited:
I teach basic skills ice skating, and about 25% of my students attacked me for Girl Scout Cookies. Tomorrow I have 2 boxes of Thin mints and 2 of Samoas coming to me. The roomie brought home exactly the same order from work the other day.

I could live on Samoas. In fact, I just had two. :drool:

The cookies have several different bakers. Thats why sometimes the names and recipes are different. Its very possible that the Tagalongs you know and love are still being made in a different part of the country.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
I bought ONE box yesterday and I'm glad I didn't get more. I got my fave, tagalongs, but they are now called just 'peanut butter patties.'
actually, it sounds like the girl scout troops in your area just switched bakers. there's two companies who provide cookies for the girl scouts. little brownie bakers are the ones who use the "nicknames" (tagalongs, samoas, trefoils, etc.) for their cookies, while abc smart cookies use the "descriptive" names (peanut butter patties, caramel delites, shortbread, etc.) for them. in florida, i was used to the latter, but here, they use the former. i don't remember a difference in taste, but then again it's been ~15 years since i've had a peanut butter patty vs. a tagalong, so i'm not sure.

but i definitely agree on what everyone's saying about them being overpriced, etc. i was a brownie and a junior scout, and i remember the boxes being bigger than they are now, and i remember a box of cookies being $2.50 - which was fantastic because it made math easy when you're like six or seven trying to sell girl scout cookies "by yourself" (meaning your mom's standing behind you letting you do all the work, which is a good thing, i'm just saying).

Back
Top Bottom