Look out, the girl scout cookies changed recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is funny how special they seem sometimes, even though I think Grasshoppers taste better than Thin Mints, I don't buy them very often. I've avoided the cursed Girl Scout cookies this year despite the fact that Girl Scouts have been hawking them in our campus center constantly...Samoas are so good but soooo bad for you.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
I bought ONE box yesterday and I'm glad I didn't get more. I got my fave, tagalongs, but they are now called just 'peanut butter patties.' ...I took it back and asked if I had a bad box, but the lady said they changed the recipe and baking companies and that they were all like that now.
Maybe it's just in your area. I got some Tagalongs, and they're as delicious as ever. Same with the Thin Mints.

:sigh: I do miss the Scot-Teas, though...

As my husband and I were walking into a store, we spotted some kids hawking the cookies, and hubby let out a groan. I usually buy a case of the Caramel Delights. :wink: I keep a couple of boxes and freeze the rest. I won't tell you how long they actually last in the freezer before I eat them all. :reject:

I think I still have some Thin Mints in my freezer from last year. (Only because I buy way too many.)

One good thing to know: last year we compared side by side a frozen thin mint from the previous year and a fresh one just bought. No difference! They do freeze very well!

kellyahern said:
The place that I bought them from said the money is going to fund that troop's trip to New York.

I really don't care where the money is going as long as I get my chocolate covered peanut butter cookie, damn it :madwife: (the box is already gone - I knew I should have gotten more than one :reject: )

You gotta get to the grocery store and try the Fudge Shoppe cookies. Almost identical (and available all year!).

1168051982_01018.jpg

For those of you getting Thin Mints, do you put them in the fridge?

dsmith2904 said:

You gotta get to the grocery store and try the Fudge Shoppe cookies. Almost identical (and available all year!).

85 cals and 5 grams of fat per cookie = :ohmy:

8 cookies = your total allowable saturated fats for the day :ohmy: :ohmy:

I must not give in here.

Room temp for me. I don't like cold, hard cookies. It takes away the flavor and hurts my teeth. I also like dipping them in milk until they're soggy :drool:

There was a table in front of the grocery store hawking Girl Scout Cookies and they were selling them for $4 a box. I thought they were $3.50 a box?? There were no girl scouts selling the cookies, it seemed they were all Moms selling them. Are kids so spoiled nowadays that the parents step in doing the work for fundraisers? Aren't the kids themselves supposed to do this? Maybe times have changed but in my son's day or my own the parents' help was minimal. :hmm:

Carek1230 said:
There was a table in front of the grocery store hawking Girl Scout Cookies and they were selling them for $4 a box. I thought they were $3.50 a box?? There were no girl scouts selling the cookies, it seemed they were all Moms selling them. Are kids so spoiled nowadays that the parents step in doing the work for fundraisers? Aren't the kids themselves supposed to do this? Maybe times have changed but in my son's day or my own the parents' help was minimal. :hmm:
yeah, they're $3.50 here but i've heard them being sold for $4 a box. i guess it just depends on where you live, which is weird because i don't ever remember in the past them being sold for more in some parts of the country.

and yes, i totally agree about the parents doing the selling. when i was a girl scout, i sold the cookies. sure my parents would bring a sales sheet to work, but i still went door-to-door (back when that was safe), and stood outside of stores and stuff. my troop and i did the selling, the parents just supervised. nowadays, if i see the parents doing the selling while the kids sit and talk, i don't buy any. :tsk:

Carek1230 said:

Even a few years ago I used to see l little girls, but now all I see are parents. Last one I saw was a bunch of parents working out of a back of an SUV, standing on the side of the road in front of a Domino's holllering at traffic. Not ONE kid. Last year I saw a table full of cookies but it was just women.

Finally got some of mine today, yay! So far the thin mints and tagalongs taste the same as always so I'm happy :) They are $4 here like martha and carek already said, and I think that's what I paid last year too. One thing also is that there can be older girls selling as well, although they are not so many these days, there are high school and even adult Girl Scouts. I bought mine from a high school senior GS, and then I was told today that you can also be an adult GS even beyond high school, and I don't mean a troop leader or parent but the actual scout program extends into adult age. Anyways... just thought that was interesting to note that not all adults selling might be parents, although I know they probably mostly are.

bonocomet said:
Finally got some of mine today, yay! So far the thin mints and tagalongs taste the same as always so I'm happy :) They are $4 here like martha and carek already said, and I think that's what I paid last year too. One thing also is that there can be older girls selling as well, although they are not so many these days, there are high school and even adult Girl Scouts. I bought mine from a high school senior GS, and then I was told today that you can also be an adult GS even beyond high school, and I don't mean a troop leader or parent but the actual scout program extends into adult age. Anyways... just thought that was interesting to note that not all adults selling might be parents, although I know they probably mostly are.

Yea I know there are girl scouts of older ages and troop leaders, etc. I was a Brownie then Girl Scout through high school. These at a table outside Ralphs were very much and definitely MOM'S, not scouts or troop leaders. None were wearing any part of any kind of uniform, troop badge, nothing. Just a table piled high with cookies and about 6 moms doing the cold hard sell to people coming and going from the store. I don't need the cookies so I didn't buy any. Besides, it's hard to eat just one, let alone a sleeve or even a whole box at one sitting!! :lol:

Okay, over the weekend I found some being sold by actual little girls in boxes marked Tagalongs and Little Brownie bakeries which is what they used to be. While the peanut butter wasn't as good quality as in the past, the cookie is basically the same. The box I got and complained about is marked only 'peanut butter patty' (though otherwise it looks identical to a tagalong box) and the cookies were very, very different. The inside wrapper is silver, the 'good' ones have a clear inside wrapper. I also got a box of mints and didn't taste any difference. There really are different types going around out there this year so remember to look for the word 'tagalong'.

Back
Top Bottom