Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

:lol: Eggs, fish, and nuts are all right out. Yep, I'm difficult.

Eggs, fish and nuts, eh? Hmmm... We can work with that, I think. Remembering that back in China, they didn't really have any of those in the earlier days (depending on where you were), which is why you get some really strange dishes sometimes.

major_panic said:
Ahh ok. I've only been in the country since '01, so I've missed a bit.
Whoops, forgot/didn't realise you weren't here at the time... plus you're still young. :wink:

I'm horribly afraid now that they are planning to rename Flinders St station... :uhoh:

And Parliament station too, to Spring St station... :giggle:

bono_man2002 said:

They have crap songs too.

Damn Commercial Radio!...If it wasn't for Hughsey and Kate, I wouldn't listen to you!

Yeah, Plain White Ts make songs that are liable to cause you to shove a pencil so hard into your left ear that it will come out your right. I can't believe how much they suck.

I gave up on commercial radio in about ... 2001, 2002.

Axver said:
Yeah, it's just ridiculous. I don't see why they renamed it. It's less informative and confuses people. As I'm sure you noticed when we were planning the meet-up, I refer to it exclusively as Spencer Street Station and I didn't even move here until it was officially Southern Cross!
I did notice that, and heartily approve :up:

Alisaura said:

Whoops, forgot/didn't realise you weren't here at the time... plus you're still young. :wink:

I'm horribly afraid now that they are planning to rename Flinders St station... :uhoh:

And Parliament station too, to Spring St station... :giggle:

:lol: I don't think they'd ever be stupid enough to rename Parliament Station. Flinders on the other hand, well... :shrug:

Yes I am still young, I guess... 19 this year! :ohmy:

Axver said:
I gave up on commercial radio in about ... 2001, 2002.

I gave up on mainstream and indeed most contemporary music about three years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made.

Some of the crap that's coming out these days... "R&B" and rap :yuck: :slasheswrist:

major_panic said:

Eggs, fish and nuts, eh? Hmmm... We can work with that, I think. Remembering that back in China, they didn't really have any of those in the earlier days (depending on where you were), which is why you get some really strange dishes sometimes.

Whenever I've looked at Chinese food menus, I've just been confused. If I have been able to figure out exactly what the food is, it's invariably been stuff I'm allergic to. I'd really love to try something though, so I hope there's some good stuff that I can have.

major_panic said:
For me, anything with fetta and sundried tomatoes, or smoked salmon and cream cheese, is instantly an automatic SuperWin.

Satay sauce is pretty good too, but not as exotic.
OMG smoked salmon and cream cheese... :drool: :drool:
Had THE BEST sandwich in Tasmania.

Big fan of avocado too...

Have you been to either of the Satay Bars in the city? There's one in Manchester Lane, and another in Custom House lane (practically underneath my work) ... they used to be amazing, but have slid back to merely very good... the sauce is still great though. :drool:

Axver said:

Whenever I've looked at Chinese food menus, I've just been confused. If I have been able to figure out exactly what the food is, it's invariably been stuff I'm allergic to. I'd really love to try something though, so I hope there's some good stuff that I can have.

You're right there. Believe me, often the names in Chinese are worse than in English - "Three Spice Congee", I mean, what the hell.

major_panic said:

:lol: I don't think they'd ever be stupid enough to rename Parliament Station. Flinders on the other hand, well... :shrug:

Yes I am still young, I guess... 19 this year! :ohmy:

Nah, don't worry about Flinders. Take it from me as a railfan - they're not stupid enough to rename that. Incidentally, trivia there used to be a railway station where Fed Square is now, Princes Bridge Station. The two weren't even linked originally! But they were gradually assimilated. The far end of platform ... 1, I think it is, that disappears at the Swanston Street end is the last remnant of the old station.

:nerd:

Alisaura said:

OMG smoked salmon and cream cheese... :drool: :drool:
Had THE BEST sandwich in Tasmania.

Big fan of avocado too...

Have you been to either of the Satay Bars in the city? There's one in Manchester Lane, and another in Custom House lane (practically underneath my work) ... they used to be amazing, but have slid back to merely very good... the sauce is still great though. :drool:

No idea where either of those places is :reject: I'll have to look them up.

Satay sauce for me is a bit everyday, although I do love it. I'd rather have Mediterranean than Asian most days, unless it's curry. Damn I love curry. :drool:

Axver said:
Ooh, really? I remember you said you had flexible lunchtimes, but I didn't really expect you'd be able to go past 2pm. But that would suit me perfectly, it would give me time to both get to your end of town and then make it back for my tute.

But with this being the first week, I don't have to stay at uni because I just have a lecture 12-1:30pm; the afternoon tutes aren't being held.
My team leader is very awesome. I like having late lunches anyway, and 'cos I don't start till 10am now, my old lunch time of 1.30 translates to 3pm... but if I need to buy food and don't want McDonalds or satay, I go earlier while the cafe still has a decent range of stuff left...

Just as well I'm in quarantine this week then :wink:

Also, failed to mention in my last post - Maj., I thought you were older! i.e. my age, 21.

Though you still aren't the baby of our postwhore group. Those would be PFan, LM, and COBL_04.

Axver said:

Nah, don't worry about Flinders. Take it from me as a railfan - they're not stupid enough to rename that. Incidentally, trivia there used to be a railway station where Fed Square is now, Princes Bridge Station. The two weren't even linked originally! But they were gradually assimilated. The far end of platform ... 1, I think it is, that disappears at the Swanston Street end is the last remnant of the old station.

:nerd:

Ahh ok, cause Flinders St station is HUGE. Especially the platform that's on Flinders Lane itself - it goes on forever! And, of course, as you mentioned, the bits that stretch down underneath the building.

Axver said:
Also, failed to mention in my last post - Maj., I thought you were older! i.e. my age, 21.

Though you still aren't the baby of our postwhore group. Those would be PFan, LM, and COBL_04.

Good, I hate being the youngest. Always happens that I'm one of the youngest with my friends, and despite the fact I'm more responsible and mature than all of them, I get paid out for being the youngest. AND I'm the bodyguard too apparently, cause I know kung fu.

/whinge /matrixquote

They're something like 16, 16 and 17 respectively, right?

OK, folks, I'm happy to experiment with food, and I want to try the Maj.'s idea of fetta cheese in toasted sandwiches, but you can leave your disgusting fish out of it. Not only am I allergic to it, but that stuff just smells BAD. :yuck:

Same for egg. :yuck:

Frankly, judging by their smell, I'm not sure I'm really missing out on anything!

major_panic said:
No idea where either of those places is :reject: I'll have to look them up.
Custom House lane comes off Flinders Lane, just near William Street... I believe Manchester Lane is up the other end of town, in the vicinity of Elizabeth st...?

*addicted to satay* :drool:

Axver said:

There are so many interferencers who I thought were older than they are... :reject:

Axver said:
OK, folks, I'm happy to experiment with food, and I want to try the Maj.'s idea of fetta cheese in toasted sandwiches, but you can leave your disgusting fish out of it. Not only am I allergic to it, but that stuff just smells BAD. :yuck:

Same for egg. :yuck:

Frankly, judging by their smell, I'm not sure I'm really missing out on anything!

You're missing out on the amazing things you can make with eggs, and smoked and raw salmon.

But fetta cheese in toasted sandwiches sounds like a go; I'll have to try that tomorrow too.

Alisaura said:

My team leader is very awesome. I like having late lunches anyway, and 'cos I don't start till 10am now, my old lunch time of 1.30 translates to 3pm... but if I need to buy food and don't want McDonalds or satay, I go earlier while the cafe still has a decent range of stuff left...

Just as well I'm in quarantine this week then :wink:

Ahh, well, that's really handy then. :up: I think that with finishing at 1:30, I should probably be able to get down to your part of the city by 2pm. Depends on how Swanston Street is, I guess.

And McDonald's has got to be the worst fast food ever. Especially their chips. Hungry Jack's at least is edible. Though I hate how they aren't Burger King here. I often accicdentally call them that, as I grew up with that name in New Zealand.

Holy crap, look at the time. I'm supposed to be getting bed rest, people! :tsk:

Still, I can sleep in and postwhore more tomorrow... :yes:

*begins extracting self from internet* That big plug in the back of my head is a pain to pull out on my own...

</matrix>

:wink:

Alisaura said:

There are so many interferencers who I thought were older than they are... :reject:

I know a lot of people have been surprised to find I'm 21! I suppose with my setlist habits, I seem like I'm a fan from way back or something. No, I just spent far too much time on elevation-tour.com (U2VT's predecessor) during 2003-04 in study periods at high school.

Axver said:

And McDonald's has got to be the worst fast food ever. Especially their chips. Hungry Jack's at least is edible. Though I hate how they aren't Burger King here. I often accicdentally call them that, as I grew up with that name in New Zealand.

I only eat Maccas because it's cheap, fast and easier to eat on the move than most other things. It's a pity sushi's expensive.

And at least the oil they fry their chips in is decent - I work in a cafe and usually end up doing some deep-frying, so I'm pretty fussy about oil quality when I eat deep-fried stuff.

Axver said:
Ahh, well, that's really handy then. :up: I think that with finishing at 1:30, I should probably be able to get down to your part of the city by 2pm. Depends on how Swanston Street is, I guess.

I had severe HJ/BK confusion... I never ate it at all until I was living in Canberra, where it was called Burger King for some reason. Then I moved back here and it's Hungry Jacks... except in Tullamarine Airport. :crack:

I'm rather proud of myself... haven't touched Maccas in months. :up: Been rather good with the other junk too... although we had HJ on Sunday. :reject:

Alisaura said:

... woah, 1am! How did that happen!? I should be off to bed in the next hour too. You certainly should be getting some rest. I'd like to sit around and postwhore tomorrow, but I've got two hours of uni to interrupt that. :(

At least I get all of Wednesday off. :up:

*begins extracting self from internet* That big plug in the back of my head is a pain to pull out on my own...

</matrix>

:lol:

Alisaura said:

</matrix>

I think we all need to sleep around now. The Americans should be on soon; they'll take over, I suppose.

So far:

Alisaura 95
Axver 95
bono_man2002 71
major_panic 55
mysterious_jen 47
TranceEnding 28
Canadiens1160 23
cinnaminson 21
The Sad Punk 12
Varitek 9
coolian2 6
phillyfan26 5
unico 5
Dalton 2

No tutes and a dental appointment mean I get tomorrow off, hurrah! But my dad's back from Malaysia, so I'm not gonna be online till late. Wednesday is right out, got church after uni. And Thursday, mwahahaha, Axver gets ambushed by a random Asian!

Alisaura said:

I had severe HJ/BK confusion... I never ate it at all until I was living in Canberra, where it was called Burger King for some reason. Then I moved back here and it's Hungry Jacks... except in Tullamarine Airport. :crack:

I'm rather proud of myself... haven't touched Maccas in months. :up: Been rather good with the other junk too... although we had HJ on Sunday. :reject:

Oh, they're actually Burger King in the ACT? And I didn't even notice that at Tullamarine! I once read why they're Hungry Jack's for the most part, but I can't remember it now. Bah.

I've had almost no fast food besides Subway since November. Haven't had anybody to eat it with! The one friend who does eat that stuff returned to the US then for the summer holidays, and since she returned is now very much an ex-friend who I wouldn't trust with a five cent piece ...

Wow, you people are healthy. But I exercise to compensate for that, which I really hope actually works...

Axver said:

The one friend who does eat that stuff returned to the US then for the summer holidays, and since she returned is now very much an ex-friend who I wouldn't trust with a five cent piece ...

She's Asian?:ohmy:

:lmao: It's great, only I can make that joke without it being racism...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom