London Calling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tennispunk

Acrobat
Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad
Ok everyone. I'm reading about the Clash for class right now so they're on my brain. I just wanted to express my opinion that

"London Calling" is possibly the most over-rated album of all-time. I believe both "The Clash" and "Give 'Em Enough Rope" are far superior albums.

anyone wanna argue with me? :madspit:

They all pale to the greatness that is Cut the Crap.

ARE YOU RED....Y?

I think London Calling is perhaps the best album ever made. Period. The s/t is amazing, Give 'em Enough Rope is decent but redundant, but London Calling is just so broad in scope. There're maybe two songs on the album I halfway like, the rest are all like 9 out of 10 or better.

They are not over- rated..... they are an extraordinary band and London Calling is just brilliant piece of music

but maybe Sandinista is my favorite. Its great!

London Calling has a couple great songs. "Rudie Can't Fail" and "The Guns of Brixton" I think are the 2 best on the album. But as an album, I think it's too long (yes, obviously I know it was a double album) and so it gets boring to listen to straight through. I like it more when I listen to it in chunks of 3 or 4 songs.

I think both The Clash and Give 'Em Enough Rope have a higher ratio of great songs-- "I'm so Bored with the USA," "London's Burning," and "Career Opportunities" on the former, and "Last Gang In Town," "All the Young Punks," and "English Civil War" on the latter.

London Calling I think became the image of UK punk though because of the album cover and so it's taken on this mythic status in punk.....I don't think it's a bad album by any means, just not a great one.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I think London Calling is perhaps the best album ever made. Period. The s/t is amazing, Give 'em Enough Rope is decent but redundant, but London Calling is just so broad in scope. There're maybe two songs on the album I halfway like, the rest are all like 9 out of 10 or better.

tennispunk, you are on crack.

i've got nothing to say that hasn't been said, coming to this thread a little late.

London Calling is great,, But not as good as so many say.

This has nothing to do with London Calling, BUT this verse of the song Bankrobber cracks me up everytime i hear it.

My daddy was a bankrobber
But he never hurt nobody
He just loved to live that way
And he loved to steal your money

This is as 4th grade as it gets, but actually the remaining verses pull the song back up.. But this is one verse for the history books.

I dunno, the first 14 or so songs are just brilliant, from there out it's not quite as great. But I'd hardly say that there are only a few chunks of songs worth listening to.

tennispunk said:
it has been suggested. i stand by my theory. :eyebrow:

:wink:

that's cool, you like what you like.

what i find so amusing is that at a glance, you and i have very similar music taste. once you get into it, though, we're nowhere near the evil twins i initially thought :shrug:

different strokes for different folks, so to speak.

Well, it usually takes me a long time to make up my mind about this or that album. When I listened to "London Calling" though I at once thought that it was one of the best albums I've ever heard, and my opinion hasn't changed since then.

The only song I MIGHT skip sometimes is Lover's Rock but the other 18 are top songs. Their first two records were also fantastic and "Give 'Em Enough Rope" is rediculously under-rated but the variety of genres in LC puts in on another level, not to mention Clampdown and Death or Glory. Any album with those two songs is on my top 5. (I know it's all been said before, sounds very Cliche, and makes me sound like a 12 yr old school-girl but I couldn't keep my mouth shut on probably my favourite album :reject: )

My favorite album EVER. :up:

Here comes the rant I always give:
I think we ALL need to remember that music is completely personal opinion. It really makes no sense to say any album is better than any other album, but makes complete sense to say you like one album more than another. Anyways, whatever.

London Calling changed my life in 1979. Maybe you had to be there.

What Joyfulgirl Said

joyfulgirl said:
London Calling changed my life in 1979. Maybe you had to be there.

My head has exploded at the thought of anyone not appreciating this album. It, along with "Achtung Baby," are my two favorite albums of all time.

Maybe it's a generational thing...:sigh:...but, like joyfulgirl, I WAS there, and this band, and this album, were very, very important to me.

Listen to "(Working For The) Clampdown" and tell me honestly that you have never felt the way the lyrics describe. I won't believe you. I still feel that way, often.

Open your ears, open your minds, open your hearts and listen, really LISTEN to this album. It is THAT good.

Um... no disrespect, but technically a theory isn't a theory until it's proven - until then it's a hypothesis. :reject:

London Calling is my second favorite album of all time (after the joshua tree)...

Back
Top Bottom