London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkayet

New Yorker
I have a question for everyone out there :confused:...I'm headed to London in a few weeks for graduate school. I've only been to London once, and then only for a couple days. Basically, I'm looking for any thoughts, advice, etc...I know this is extremely general, but I figured a lot of you might be familiar with the city and able to offer insight...the nerves are setting in, so I thought I'd ask. :help: (oh, and yes, i know it's a VERY expensive city...:slant: ) Thanks! :)

Don't get in the black cabs, especially from Heathrow. They are VERY expensive!
Take the tube or the red buses.
You want travel toursity advice or living in London advice?
Its split into zones and the closer into the city, the more expensive things are. I believe those living in the closest zone are even given extra money in their paychecks from the government, just because they need it in able to afford living there!
Stores don't open till 10 am. I found that so bizarre. :slant:

I live in London. Depends what kind of things you wish to know!

As you move nearer and nearer to Central London, it gets more expensive, especially the cost of living.
Its better to take a tube or a bus rather than a taxi, especially the black cabs - they are damn expensive!
You can get main trains (out of London) from Euston usually.
The best place to go to shop is Oxford Street or Bond Street :D

Good luck! :D

*not jealous*
*not jealous*
*not jealous*
*not jealous*

;)

there's a great restaurant you must check out in Covent Garden, called Food for Thought. Great food, tons of it and it's affordable. It's actually a vegetarian restaurant but even if you're not a veg you'll like it anyway.

and yes, the tube is the way to go.

*goes to think some more

Advice? Find Snuggy and have his ant babies.

Try not to drool over the accents.

___
:wave:especially one in particular, or I will hurt you when I get there

no, no ant babies...

madonna's child said:
~LadyLemon~ was in London in the past year, maybe she could help you. :)

Cowgirl said:
You want travel toursity advice or living in London advice?
I suppose more advice about living there, since I will be, although I?ll take anything. :D

ZooEuropa said:
I live in London. Depends what kind of things you wish to know!
Umm?to be honest, I?m not even exactly sure what I want to know! :huh: The info about the black cabs and places to shop is very helpful though. :yes: I?ll be living in university housing (flats for postgrads), in central London ? well, zone 1, anyway?

Fritzy said:
there's a great restaurant you must check out in Covent Garden, called Food for Thought. Great food, tons of it and it's affordable. It's actually a vegetarian restaurant
Oooh, I actually am vegetarian, so that sounds wonderful! :D

meegannie - :laugh: no worries, i'll send him off w/ the cell to call you ;) umm...will be other-accents drooling though ;)

I spent a week in London as a student and all I can say is their subway system is the cleanest I've ever seen. I would recommend going to the West End for theatre.

The biggest surprise was the fact that all the nightspots seemed to close at 2am or earlier. This was weird and I still wonder if I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Danospano said:

The biggest surprise was the fact that all the nightspots seemed to close at 2am or earlier. This was weird and I still wonder if I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hey I know what you mean! I live in London, and I hate the fact they close so early! I prefer it when the nightlife stays out longer :D

Fritzy said:
*not jealous*
*not jealous*
*not jealous*
*not jealous*

Well I sure as hell am! I don't think I could give you any more great advice than those who live there...can't think of anything in particular. I just have one request: take me with you! I want to move there...

:love:

Been in England for a month, studying Shakespeare.

In the summers, the sun sets at 10pm... but everything other than the pubs and night clubs, close at 5pm.

English food is generally bland... but they have great India restaurants... and don't forget them fish and chips.

England still doesn't have the concept of "free refill drinks"... everything is dispensed in small portions, like 8 oz. Coke cans.

dunno... that's all i remember :crack:

I live in west London, and its safe to say, I think, thats its the best place to be (except the centre, where I go to University).

Well, it depends what you want to know! Its a HUGE relief on your economic burden that you're living in zone 1 and therefore don't have to commute everyday... London transport, like London anything, is very expensive.

If you're in zone 1, then you wont have trouble finding anything at all, its all within an arm's reach from you. May I ask, where are you staying at (Highbury, Bloomsbury... ), and which Uni are you attending (if I'm not being too nosy, it could very well be mine - lol).

Ant.

Anthony said:
If you're in zone 1, then you wont have trouble finding anything at all, its all within an arm's reach from you. May I ask, where are you staying at (Highbury, Bloomsbury... ), and which Uni are you attending (if I'm not being too nosy, it could very well be mine - lol).

Ant.
Thanks for the info!! :D I'll send you a pm if you don't mind....

Anthony said:

I agree totally. Its called the Tory Party. :ohmy:

Ant.

lol...

Try to steal the crown jewels. They?re worth quite a lot. And send my 20% away the same day. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Other stuff you shouldn?t miss: if you are female, check the tower, and take a walk thru Notting Hill, you might meet Hugh Grant. Have a tea with him at five, try wonderful little cakes with jam and cream.

If you are male, slap Kylies butt in Madame Tussauds. Eat lots of cereal, scrambled eggs, sausages and toast for breakfast, so you can cut lunch.

If you go to Nandos (a restuarant) you can get drink refills! If you like chicken its a plus, but if you dont like chicken, then theres always salads and pastas and stuff :D

I love London. There are tons of things to do, but the centre is a bit overrun with tourists.

I'm considering grad school there next year, at Imperial or King's College. It's terribly expensive for overseas students, unfortunately.

Cowgirl said:
Don't get in the black cabs, especially from Heathrow. They are VERY expensive!

Oh yes. A five minute ride cost ?6.00 or more. OTOH, they're safe when going home late. I got the same driver twice after a night of drinking and safely drove me to my friend's place.

Stores don't open till 10 am. I found that so bizarre. :slant:

Hmmm...stores in Europe seem to have weird hours. They also close at 1700H, usually.

And Jenn, I know I told you this, but go to Windsor and try the maple fudge. Forgot the name of the shop, but it's in front of the castle. :)

For clothes, try Miss Selfridge...but uh, when they're on sale.

:wink:

i thought some more

when i was thinking of moving over there, i read a great book called 'Living and Working in London' (I'm 99% sure that was the name of it) - it had some very useful practical info - you might want to check it out.

dizzy said:
And Jenn, I know I told you this, but go to Windsor and try the maple fudge. Forgot the name of the shop, but it's in front of the castle. :)

For clothes, try Miss Selfridge...but uh, when they're on sale.

:wink:
I do vaguely remember you saying that...glad I have it in writing to remember now though. :D I will DEFINITELY find it...yum, fudge....

Thanks to everyone with good advice!! :)

originally posted by anitramIt's terribly expensive for overseas students, unfortunately.
Yeah, no kidding...:rolleyes: :slant: I'm making it work out somehow, I guess! :|

maybe the social?!?! please??? a few hours???

Well, unless you are passed out and I'm trying to hold up both of you, so I end up dropping you both and heathrow medics have to come help, and i get kicked out for public intoxication since i'll be drunk, and....
:wave: :sad: :hug: :D :wave: :| :reject: :huh: ;)

sorry, i'm booked

...wait...why are YOU drunk? We can't have all three of us drunk. Until we go out to the bar, at least.

And, hey, I'll see you at Doves, and ride back with you to London. So I'll see you for a few hours total. :D

sniff, sniff...

well, if you guys are drunk, i'm at least tipsy...:yes: :|
doves will be good. :up:
Sigh...i'll probably have to be in the library anyway, so the few hours might work...:tsk: :huh: :(;)

Back
Top Bottom