Lollapalooza Cancelled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
From Rolling Stone:

Poor ticket sales have prompted the cancellation of this year's Lollapalooza tour. The festival was to visit sixteen venues starting July 15th in Auburn, Washington, with two dates of different music for each stop. But facing potential losses of millions of dollars, organizers pulled the plug.

Morrissey, Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, the String Cheese Incident, the Flaming Lips, the Pixies, Wilco, Modest Mouse and the Polyphonic Spree were among the more than thirty bands scheduled to take part in the tour.

"My heart aches along with the bands, and all our employees, whose hard work developed one of the most exciting tours this nation was to see," organizer Perry Farrell said. "My heart is broken."

The news comes amid reports that the summer concert industry is suffering from tepid sales. Though Eighties icons like Prince and Madonna have fared well, tours by Fleetwood Mac and the Dead have yet to catch fire. Organizers were hoping that Lollapalooza's broad-based list of performers and modest ticket price would draw a substantial audience.

"I am in utter disbelief that a concert of this stature, with the most exciting lineup I've seen in years did not galvanize ticket sales," co-founder Marc Geiger said. "Concert promoters across the country are facing similar problems."

I am dumbfounded. The best line-up in probably 7 years and it's cancelled. I have to admit. I didn't see much publicity for this tour and had to search out information on my own. Maybe it's their own damn fault having such incredible acts and not shouting it from the rooftops. In fact, the tour wasn't even coming to Florida! the 4th or 5th most populous state. What the hell. I was ready to drive to Atlanta...

I hope Modest Mouse still tours.

Here is the funyy thing...I was laughing at all the Minneapolis floks who would have to pay near $200 to see all the bands I was going to see at Lollapalooza (MSP didn't have a date). Now who is laughing? :mad:

Well, it's certainly in the news now that it's over. fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

My overall faith in humanity has decreased significantly. That was to be the highlight of my summer.. had hotel reservations and everything. But what about the poor artists? This has got to totally fuck them around.

Everyone who didn't buy tickets is an asshole. :mad:

SkeeK said:

Everyone who didn't buy tickets is an asshole. :mad:

OK, if that makes you feel better about it.

I for one, can only afford to go to maybe 2 concerts a year, not to mention, it takes 1-2 years to save to go to a U2 concert.

Hate to say it, but this may be a new trend and in the long run may be for the best for all of us. Can't say this was the problem with Lollapaloser because the ticket prices looked very reasonable from what I've read, but there are more and more cancellations these days and promoters and such are gonna have start doing something about outrageous ticket prices. See below from a recent article:

Lollapalooza is not alone in this," he said. "Everyone from the Dead to Dave Matthews to Norah Jones is suffering. There's not one explanation for this. It might be that ticket prices are too high, which doesn't account for Lollapalooza, because our tickets were priced between $15 and $25. Maybe it's the sundry add-ons [like service charges] that up the cost? Maybe gas prices are too high? Just like the record industry is suffering, the concert business is not exempt.

"After people get through this summer season," he added, "there's going to be a lot of fixing that needs to be done in the concert industry."

wolfeden said:
I wonder how much was competition from Ozzfest and the Vans Warped Tour... :|

yeah i highly doubt that slipknot and good charlotte are hurting at all for tickets sales. :barf:

Back
Top Bottom