logo's and brand names on clothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
what do you guy think about that?

do you look for clothes that have no logo or is made either

a) by a certain brand name

or

b) do you deliberately check to make sure that the article is NOT made by a certaion company

or

c) do you not care either way

what about the tags, do you ever check the tags to see where it was made?

personally, i do my best not to by a logo or big name brand, there is no need for it. its incredibly refreshing not to advertise for anyone.

ofcourse that does have its own set of rules. for instance when i wear a u2 or radiohead shirt, im supporting them, and i suppose in a way advertising for interscope or universal, or whatever.

so that gets tricky.

theres no way to really avoid it all, unless your a fanatic. i know fanatics in this sense.

where do you people stand on this issue?

I buy whatever looks nice and feels good. I don't care what brand it is. I buy a lot of my clothes from Wal*Mart cuz I am cheap.

ofcourse its cheap there.

you do understand WHY things are cheap there right?

If I have a favorite pair of jeans that is made by a particular brand, I will look for them when I go shopping next. This is based on what I think *now*. Before I had kids, I had no figure and I could wear any brand, now I have hips (jeez, and I used to *want* hips!) and I still have no waist and so there are few brands that fit me the comfortable way I want them to.

no logo. naomi klein, great author.

klein proposed the concept of an ironic consumer. an individual who is cognizant of the fact that great human expense went into the production of their new good, but they do it anyway.

i count myself amongst them.

i understand the problem as fully as is possible.
but i have to dress well-look respectable.
so i end up the gap. i draw the line at logo wear though. nothing with a logo.

don't kid yourself about the U2/radiohead t shirt. it's not just interscope. the bands themselves are brands.

edited to remove stupidity apparent in my typing:)

Last edited:
very interesting opinions.

koby, im interested in that book, though i feel it may simply be leftist propaganda.

i know im a subject of propaganda already, its the ability to recognize that fact and work from that starting point that is necessary to become a "good" consumer.

I don't really think about the logos, although i probably should. one thing though, I don't own a single article of clothing from Nike or The Gap...wonder why that might be... :sexywink:

Zoomerang96 said:
koby, im interested in that book, though i feel it may simply be leftist propaganda.

it's a great book. klein presents the argument in a realistic sense. she begins by describing her own childhood neighbourhood(an area of toronto historically known for its garment production) and how the present day the area is very much different. she then goes about explaining why. at times she can dip into activistspeak but it is kept to a minimum. her own 'ironic consumer' concept is an indication she has come to wholly accept our environment, dynamic as it may be.

one thing to look out for though-klein was educated as a journalist; that is where she comes from. as such she tells a great story, paints a vivid picture. but the historical basis for many of the activist concepts and theories she brings into play is in parts lacking. she only mentions guy debord(the 'founder' of situationalism) in passing while talking about situationalist ideas being put into practice in modern times

I buy for price. Which means I inadvertantly dont support labels. I dont think a t-shirt is really worth $50au. I would rather buy a $10 t-shirt from k-mart and spend that money I potentially saved somewhere else. But I dont go shopping much. Just start of season really.

Where it is made does matter somewhat too. But I find even name brands with the massive price tags can still be made in illegal sweatshops overseas.

I dunno.

Well, I always go to the same shops if I wanna buy something, coz I'm satisfied with them and I know that I'm gonna find something I like. That's A|Wear, Dunnes and Penneys. Penneys is dirt cheap, quality is not so good, but I like it. I like vintage and the only item I have logo on are my shades. I like them fancy-schmancy Gucci and Chanel shades :shrug:

What Angela said...I'm not gonna pay $80 for a shirt I can get for $10 with the only difference being that the $80 one has designer's/ brand name on it.

However, I do have the exception of band or sport clothing. I will spend the big bucks on a nice UCONN sweatshirt.

Does this make me a hypocrite?

See it all depends. I do indeed own mainly band shirts for instance. But when I am wearing my U2 shirts (of which I own many) I do have to agree that I am supporting U2 more as a brand then a band because of the fact that they are so removed from the sale and the production of their clothing. On the other hand I own mainly punk shirts. SO when I go to the merch booth after the show and buy my shirt from Chris who is the guitar player for Ant- flag or get my hands on a Dropkick's shirt or a Business shirt or what have you there is a tangible difference. The people who are producing the music are also sellling the clothign and I am actually helping support the band because punk bands are so very underground that they do make alot of their profits off of merch sales. But I means it is a different scope altogether.
I do not own a single pice of say Nike clothing however as my moral views find the particular company to be reprehensible. Don't get me started. I also will not wear any clothign with the brand name proclaiming itself to the world around me.
There is one notable exception to this however: I have a terribel weakness for Paul Frank clothing. I MEAN COME ON!!!! WITH THE MONKEYS!!!! HOW COULD I NOT??????
I also like the little snail guy. And the froggy. But I think that that is more a thing cuz I think they pictures are cute. But yeah. That's all.

Thought about this some more...

I do buy brand name sneakers, usually Nike...however, my reason for that is that the cheap ones fall apart a lot sooner than any pair of Nikes I ever had. I was given some Nikes as a gift, and I loved them...I still have that pair (they are about 6 years old now but still pretty decent). So, in that case, I do shop for the brand.

My Two Cents

There are some things I buy brand name for because of the dimensions of my body and how that brand fits i.e. Express and Gap Jeans because of the way they make certain jeans to fit my hips and height ratio. I buy Adiddas (sp?) because I have small feet but they are slightly wider. These brands however are not known for large advertising on their clothes. I think all in all I am not a brand name whore. I would not wear something that would have a Logo plastered all over it so big that Ray Charles could see it though. That is just tacky *coughFUBUcough*:yuck:

I think that when you wear a band shirt however you are not necessarily advertising for that band.

I HATE clothes that have brand names on them! The only ones I own are shirts that other people have given me because I'm too poor to be incredibly picky.

I also hate purses that have the hideous logos all over them and cost $700. :yuck:

I hate shirts that have nothing but a logo (*coughTOMMYcough*). I do shop for certain brands -- I'm very picky about shoes, so I only buy a few brands (Skechers, Nike, etc.), and I'm picky about jeans, and I pretty much only buy them at Old Navy, because they're made well and I like the style and colour (I only buy dark blue jeans, and not many places have the colour I like). I'm far less picky about shirts.. I only have 2 shirts that have logos (both are Esprit shirts). I pretty much just buy what I like, as long as it isn't overpriced or made of cheap/flimsy material. The only brand I avoid is Tommy Hilfiger, for reasons stated above. :yuck:

Last edited:
like 4a, i won't wear clothes that shout a brand name. i think that's tacky and lame looking. i also won't ever buy nike, esprit, and i try not to buy things made in tibet. those are the only "political" type of reasons i avoid certain brands. i'm sure there are tons of other brands that i would find offensive for random reasons, but if i really overanalyzed every brand i would probably never find one i would buy. you have to pick your battles, so to speak.

hmm well, I wear a mixture of things, some of the bigger names, but I dont really wear t-shirts with big logos on them or anything...

For me its a question of price, fashionability, and quality. I bought some things from a cheaper shop for the summer and most t-shirts I got got very stretched.

Generally though I buy in sales, so sometimes I'll get something by a bigger brand, or from a nice shop, I just wear what I think looks good really...

I don't wear stuff with brand names on them but mainly because I don't like how they look. :tsk: tacky!

I do wear U2 shirts. I do think wearing a band shirt is promoting/supporting the band. I have a red tee w/ the American flag on it. I will not wear Bud tshirts or anything in that vein (my father is so against the alcohol industry he wouldn't bring us to Bush Gardens in FLA).

But I am a shopping snob in the sense I pay more for things at Express & Limited which I can probably find somewhere else. Lately i've been trying to tone it down and stick with Filenes, where I get great work clothes on average $20 cheaper than Limited. Shoes I don't go w/ any certain names, just as long as they fit cool.

pub crawler said:
I wear Tommy Hilfiger shirts, shoes, pants, ties and underwear. I also have his name tatooed on each of my wrists and my ankle.

you MUST be joking. if you arent, you are the biggest joke of the entire human race.

I will never wear clothes with logos on them. However I do shop for only the brands I like.

I typically only wear Giorgio Armani's latest collections, however so I need not worry about logos...

Zoomerang96 said:

you MUST be joking. if you arent, you are the biggest joke of the entire human race.

Why? I love Tommy Hilfiger and I am a super intense yuppy. I love Beemers, Tommy Hilfiger, Starbucks (I spend $millions there).

I love my nice flat overlooking the cliffs in La Jolla, California. I spend Friday nights down on the La Jolla Cove promenade, walking slowly past the upscale store windows. I always have my Tommy Hilfiger sweater loosely strung about my shoulders, and I wear my casual khaki slacks. I eat at George's At the Cove with my yuppy friends. It's a fine restaurant. We drink imported wine.

We often shoot up to Sonoma for a wine tasting on weekends.

We live very happy, pleasing lives. We consume goods with important labels on them.

We eat soma.

I thought the first post you wrote was the funniest thing I have read in a long time but your one was even funnier.

Interference - Made In China

I try to stay aware of who is doing what to whom. I know a lot of companies use sweatshop labour. I have heard testimonials from the women and CHILDREN who work there.:sad: I try to buy Australian and I try to buy local.

I've been wanting to tell you guys this story, heres'a good place. I did recently buy some T shirts that were probably made in less than ideal conditions but this time, I couldn't resist them. They were on sale, they came in blue and green(brasil) and red and white(the bears) they have a nifty glittery star and the No.1 on the front.....AND the clothing company that made them? They have a label inside that says...INTERFERENCE....How could I resist those?

logos make you sexy. like if you like wore abercrombie clothes you might like actually be sexy bear.

I do not like having little horses and men and such on my clothes.

I do wear shirts for U2 and other bands, as well as University of Alabama hats and shirts when I go to a game; I find that most of these items are made in the USA.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom