logo's and brand names on clothing - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:37 PM
logo's and brand names on clothing

what do you guy think about that?

do you look for clothes that have no logo or is made either

a) by a certain brand name

or

b) do you deliberately check to make sure that the article is NOT made by a certaion company

or

c) do you not care either way

what about the tags, do you ever check the tags to see where it was made?

personally, i do my best not to by a logo or big name brand, there is no need for it. its incredibly refreshing not to advertise for anyone.

ofcourse that does have its own set of rules. for instance when i wear a u2 or radiohead shirt, im supporting them, and i suppose in a way advertising for interscope or universal, or whatever.

so that gets tricky.

theres no way to really avoid it all, unless your a fanatic. i know fanatics in this sense.

where do you people stand on this issue?

Old 09-25-2002, 12:03 AM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:37 AM

I buy whatever looks nice and feels good. I don't care what brand it is. I buy a lot of my clothes from Wal*Mart cuz I am cheap.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-25-2002, 12:07 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

ofcourse its cheap there.

you do understand WHY things are cheap there right?
Old 09-25-2002, 12:11 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 09:37 PM
If I have a favorite pair of jeans that is made by a particular brand, I will look for them when I go shopping next. This is based on what I think *now*. Before I had kids, I had no figure and I could wear any brand, now I have hips (jeez, and I used to *want* hips!) and I still have no waist and so there are few brands that fit me the comfortable way I want them to.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:12 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:37 PM
the only thing i dont buy is Kathy Lee Gifford clothing.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:13 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

no logo. naomi klein, great author.

klein proposed the concept of an ironic consumer. an individual who is cognizant of the fact that great human expense went into the production of their new good, but they do it anyway.

i count myself amongst them.

i understand the problem as fully as is possible.
but i have to dress well-look respectable.
so i end up the gap. i draw the line at logo wear though. nothing with a logo.

don't kid yourself about the U2/radiohead t shirt. it's not just interscope. the bands themselves are brands.

edited to remove stupidity apparent in my typing
Old 09-25-2002, 12:13 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 PM
down with logos

i won't be branded
Old 09-25-2002, 12:17 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

very interesting opinions.

koby, im interested in that book, though i feel it may simply be leftist propaganda.

i know im a subject of propaganda already, its the ability to recognize that fact and work from that starting point that is necessary to become a "good" consumer.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:52 AM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:37 AM

I don't really think about the logos, although i probably should. one thing though, I don't own a single article of clothing from Nike or The Gap...wonder why that might be...
Old 09-25-2002, 01:16 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
koby, im interested in that book, though i feel it may simply be leftist propaganda.
it's a great book. klein presents the argument in a realistic sense. she begins by describing her own childhood neighbourhood(an area of toronto historically known for its garment production) and how the present day the area is very much different. she then goes about explaining why. at times she can dip into activistspeak but it is kept to a minimum. her own 'ironic consumer' concept is an indication she has come to wholly accept our environment, dynamic as it may be.

one thing to look out for though-klein was educated as a journalist; that is where she comes from. as such she tells a great story, paints a vivid picture. but the historical basis for many of the activist concepts and theories she brings into play is in parts lacking. she only mentions guy debord(the 'founder' of situationalism) in passing while talking about situationalist ideas being put into practice in modern times
Old 09-25-2002, 02:05 AM   #11
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:37 PM
I buy for price. Which means I inadvertantly dont support labels. I dont think a t-shirt is really worth $50au. I would rather buy a $10 t-shirt from k-mart and spend that money I potentially saved somewhere else. But I dont go shopping much. Just start of season really.

Where it is made does matter somewhat too. But I find even name brands with the massive price tags can still be made in illegal sweatshops overseas.

I dunno.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:16 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:37 PM
I don't want to be a walking advertisement. I avoid clothes that SHOUT the brand name. I think it's ugly.

foray
Old 09-25-2002, 05:06 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 AM

Well, I always go to the same shops if I wanna buy something, coz I'm satisfied with them and I know that I'm gonna find something I like. That's A|Wear, Dunnes and Penneys. Penneys is dirt cheap, quality is not so good, but I like it. I like vintage and the only item I have logo on are my shades. I like them fancy-schmancy Gucci and Chanel shades
Old 09-25-2002, 05:16 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Local Time: 12:37 AM
What Angela said...I'm not gonna pay $80 for a shirt I can get for $10 with the only difference being that the $80 one has designer's/ brand name on it.

However, I do have the exception of band or sport clothing. I will spend the big bucks on a nice UCONN sweatshirt.

Does this make me a hypocrite?
Old 09-25-2002, 06:53 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 02:37 PM
See it all depends. I do indeed own mainly band shirts for instance. But when I am wearing my U2 shirts (of which I own many) I do have to agree that I am supporting U2 more as a brand then a band because of the fact that they are so removed from the sale and the production of their clothing. On the other hand I own mainly punk shirts. SO when I go to the merch booth after the show and buy my shirt from Chris who is the guitar player for Ant- flag or get my hands on a Dropkick's shirt or a Business shirt or what have you there is a tangible difference. The people who are producing the music are also sellling the clothign and I am actually helping support the band because punk bands are so very underground that they do make alot of their profits off of merch sales. But I means it is a different scope altogether.
I do not own a single pice of say Nike clothing however as my moral views find the particular company to be reprehensible. Don't get me started. I also will not wear any clothign with the brand name proclaiming itself to the world around me.
There is one notable exception to this however: I have a terribel weakness for Paul Frank clothing. I MEAN COME ON!!!! WITH THE MONKEYS!!!! HOW COULD I NOT??????
I also like the little snail guy. And the froggy. But I think that that is more a thing cuz I think they pictures are cute. But yeah. That's all.