Lockout!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I side with no one. They are all assholes. They should of been working hard months ago to prevent this, instead of the last two weeks. They learned from last time (94). They have shitloads of cash put aside for this. This will be a long one. They don't care for the fans one bit.

:mad:

We all said goodbye to the nhl when gretzky retired.

Yes, of course I joke.

What kind of crazy would say something like that?

:sexywink:

Suicide for the league...both the owners and players will regret this. It'll be 2033 before the league rebounds in the fans' eyes.

i think the fact that the story about the lockout was first played on yesterday's 6:00 SportsCenter 24 minutes into the show should tell ya' something...

the league was in ruins before this lockout... the effect of a 12-18 month work stoppage? forget it... take what happened to the montreal expos after the 94 baseball strike and multiply it by 30.

this league NEEDS revenue sharing and a salary cap, but the players say there's no way they'll agree to a salary cap... i hope you all like basketball, 'cause that's all you're gonna be seeing come the winter

hahaha, I doubt basketball will ever overtake hockey in Canada as our national sport.

It might have taken 24 mins to make it onto sports news in the U.S. but it's practically headline news here...although that probably doesn't mean a lot! lol!

anyhow, it's not all doom and gloom - I read that if the NHL declares an "impasse" then the NHL's guidelines take precedence over the Union's and the players can choose to play or not...Something like that - I'm sure someone else knows what I'm talking about and can explain it better!

Bill Maher: The only difference between Iraq and Vietnam is that George Bush had an exit strategy for Vietnam

Last edited:
wait, theres an nhl still? :wink:

i havent heard anything about it other than espn.com and this thread

This scares the bejeezus out of me.

I know the league truly does need a cap, but I just can't side with the owners on this simply because Gary Bettman spews so much shit and is such a pompous dickhead that I can't imagine ever being on his side.

I think after this ends that the NHL Board of Governors seriously needs to look at replacing Bettman. I mean, there have been two stoppages in his tenure and not a single one before he came along...either he's a poor negotiator or he's a hardass (or both). Either way Bettman is a shit-eater.

Lockout Rocks! :applaud:

We get all the players you have stolen from us back!;) :combust:

Fredrik Modin and Henrik Zetterberg (I personally know both of them .:cool:) will play for my hometown team as will Miika Kiprusoff!:laugh:

Peter the Great, Markus Naslund,The Sedin Twins,´Mats Sundin, Daniel Alfredsson They're all coming HOME!

plus we get some bonus players like Brendan Morrison and Mike Knuble.

But I still hope for your sake that it will only last one season.:hug:

Apparently there's a branch league of the WHA that's going called the Original Stars Hockey League. It's a 4-on-4 league that plays three 17-minute periods, and apparently they've gotten a whole lot of NHL players. They're touring the country, and the money made from the gate goes to charity. The players make no money except only if there are any profits remaining at the end of the season.

http://www.oshl.ca

Anybody find it really ironic that the WHA couldn't sign up any NHL players for it's full league, but somehow every spot in a branch, unpaid charity league is filled by an NHLer? :p

well the WHA has a salary cap

it would be pretty hypocritical for nhl players to go to a league with a salary cap in order protest the nhl getting a salary cap

Blah, "football". The only football I'll watch involves 11 players a side and thousands of crazed Europeans!

Plus, there's not much hockey to talk about now, anyway. It seems like most of the players are heading over to Europe. I wish they'd televise some of the games. :sad: I'm going to be lost without hockey this year...

The following is a copy of an email I received. I believe all prices are in Canadian dollars:

Hundreds of Professional Hockey players in our very own nation are locked out, living at well below the seven-figure salary level. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their life giving pay for several months, possibly longer, as a result of the upcoming lockout situation.

But you can help!

For only $20,835 a month, about $694.50 a day (...that's less than the cost of a large screen projection TV...) you can help an NHL player remain economically viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the problem as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it's a start, and every little bit will help!

Although $700 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a hockey player it could mean the difference between spending the lockout golfing in Florida or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, seven hundred dollars is nothing more than a month's rent, half a mortgage payment, or a month of medical insurance, but to a hockey player, $700 will partially replace his daily salary.

Your commitment of less than $700 a day will enable a player to buy that home entertainment center, trade in the year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or enjoy a weekend in Rio.

HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?

Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the
player you sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds,
401(k), real estate, and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the player lounging during the lockout on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (...for a signed photo, please include an additional $150...). Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.

HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?

Your NHL player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP!

I would like to sponsor a locked out NHL player. My preference is
(check below):

[ ] Forward
[ ] Defenseman
[ ] Goaltender
[ ] Entire team (Please call our 900 number to ask for the cost of a specific team - $10 per minute)
[ ] Jaromir Jagr (Higher cost: $32,000 per day)

Please charge the account listed below $694.50 per day for the
duration of the lockout. Please send me a picture of the player I
have sponsored, along with an Jaromir Jagr 2001 Income Statement and my very own Bob Goodenow (Executive Director of the NHLPA player's Union) pin to wear proudly on my hat (include $800 for hat).

Your Name: _______________________
Telephone: _______________________
Account #: _______________________
Exp. Date: _______

[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Other

The lockout is really lame. Did you guys know that there is no real incentive for the players to get a deal done. The players I belive will be paid an average of nearly $200 000 dollars even if the season is a total wash. Yeah must be tough having no job and have to worry about how they're gonna make ends meet. FUCK OFF!!!! In my opinion the players need a reality check. They've forgotten what it is they do for a living. They play a freaking game. Seriously what do they even need a union for? What? The wages and working conditions not up to par? FUCK OFF!!!! Next the coaches will have a union. The owners own the teams, there for they should be making the bulk of the money. Not this lame ass shit of the players taking in about 75% of the revenue. Also don't you all find it absolutley laughable that a player can and is actually making more in a year than the owner which I might remind you is who the players are working for. Players suck. Nothing about this thing will ever make me sympathise with them. they are to blame and they deserved to be locked out and here's why.....

We all work for a living wheather you are a plumber, janitor, doctor, a teacher or whatever. We all work and we all work under a structured salary. There is a limit(cap) to what 99% of us can make in our certain area of profession. Are any of us under this ludacris impression that we must make well beyond our necessary lifetime earnings? NO!! So where and when did these players ever come up with the idea that it is a must that they make their entire lifetime and beyond worth of earnings by the time they are 40? It's insane. Most of us could make it through the rest of our life on a one year salary at the league minimum and yet these players feel they need to insure themselves for the future. The very concept of it is furiating. Also the players blame the owners for driving up the market which is so bullshit. The players are the ones who demand these contracts. They claim that if the owners didn't want to pay them then they wouldn't but here's the problem. These prima donna players hold a gun to owners head by holding out. Refusing to play untill paid what they deam "fair". Sure the owners could let them sit but then the team starts to lose and the seats start to become empty and the team may miss the payoffs. The owners then feel the need to sign players. Man what a joke the whole thing is. I'm not even started and I've gone on too long.

Oh and by the way. I'm really starting to care less if and when they play again. I've been a diehard Montreal Canadiens fan all my life. Patrick Roy was my absolute hero growing up. Well now I'm all grown up(somewhat) and my childhood hero has retired. The imagination of the game that comes with being a kid is gone. I'm sure that when they get back to it I'll watch and be the same diehard Habs fan but to be honest I don't care when that is. I'm digging the NFL right now and the baseball playoffs are about to take center stage. As far as I'm concerned the NHL can wait untill the Super Bowl is over. Hell if this season is gonna be lost then so be it. I just hope the owners don't give in.

Back
Top Bottom