Llanfairynghornwy, Anglesey, Wales superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their asthma flares up during the summer? For me, it's the other way around: while I lived in hot Queensland, I had no asthma worries (eczema was another thing entirely), but the colder weather in Melbourne and New Zealand winters can set off my asthma. 95% of the time, though, it's simply a matter of dressing appropriately or turning on my little oil heater. Of the remaining 5% of the time, 4.999% of that is resolved with a puff of my inhaler (the 0.001% is when I ended up in hospital a few years back). I know if my asthma were more severe, then I might have to consider some more substantial heating in the winter months.

And let's be honest, most people living in extreme climates DON'T have access to this technology. They're fucking lucky if they've got a fan. And yet these millions upon millions across the globe have been able to stand the summer heat for millennia. Then along come Americans who seem to think air conditioning is a standard feature of any modern household and waste resources like the Rapture's going to happen tomorrow and it doesn't matter if our non-renewable sources of electricity are rapidly depleted due to ten thousand Bobs in Bumfuck, USA being unable to hack 35C. I am disappointed that Australia is beginning to jump on this wasteful bandwagon.

I'd die in 35 degrees. No bullshit, i mean on the floor dead.

Ax, moving to a new place >>>>expensive>>>> Central Heating/Air, but I understand your point.

The cost of installing a central heating system is comparable to moving to somewhere with a climate more to your liking.

If you live in a house that already had central heating when you moved in, curtailing your usage of central heating and instead putting the rather substantial power bill savings into a bank account will soon provide you with the money to move. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to do that, then the power bill savings AFTER the move from not running central heating will very quickly offset the one-off costs of moving.

Also, I'm not just mouthing off here. A massive factor in my decision to relocate to Melbourne was my hatred of Queensland's warm weather.

I'd die in 35 degrees. No bullshit, i mean on the floor dead.

:ohmy: You'd be no good in Singapore then! My sister lived there for 4 years before moving to HK.....the ONLY way we could sleep at night was with Aircon.....it was too expensive to run during the day thanks to incredible electricity rates.....we had to constantly drink water and got very adept at making a fan out of ANYTHING!!!

that's true but not if it's 95 degrees

Bullshit. 95F is about 35C, and I sat through nine Queensland summers of that with a fan on. 41C (which I believe is approaching 110F) struck repeatedly last summer here in Melbourne, and a fan was all I needed to see myself through. Admittedly, though, Melbourne has a dry heat, which I find more tolerable than Queensland's humid heat.

:ohmy: You'd be no good in Singapore then! My sister lived there for 4 years before moving to HK.....the ONLY way we could sleep at night was with Aircon.....it was too expensive to run during the day thanks to incredible electricity rates.....we had to constantly drink water and got very adept at making a fan out of ANYTHING!!!

Actually i'd probably be fine. I did live in Sydney for a few years and survived.

Humid heat is horrendous compared to dry heat....give me dry heat any day.......Same as in the cold....damp cold is fugly compared to that beautiful crisp cold......

I need to move :(

:wave:

Just popped in out of boredom, and noticed your AC convo, and wanted to ask a question - I'm terribly uninformed about Aus/NZ weather, but I do know it's variable depending on where you are, and that you have actual seasons, and stuff. Anyway, the areas where you get 35C temps in the summer, is it also humid there, and how cold does it get in winter?

Just asking because in my particular area, it's the humidity that's brutal. With the humidity yesterday, it felt like 40C here. :scream: But then in winter, we also have temps of -20C, and colder with the windchill.

Oh my god.

I was at the airport for so long today.

The first plane i photographed landing was a Pacific Blue 737, ZK-PBG. The last plane i photographed was the same plane landing again. That means it had flown in somewhere and then flew to Wellington and back again!

Fook me

:lmao:

I've noticed the same trams appearing in my photos, but tram lines are much shorter than plane routes and have quick turnaround times at the end, so it's a bit more OK that I can point out certain trams on repeat runs!

What worries me is that in under an hour on the LaTrobe Street bridge, I can do 400 photos without even trying.

Just popped in out of boredom, and noticed your AC convo, and wanted to ask a question - I'm terrible uninformed about Aus/NZ weather, but I do know it's variable depending on where you are, and that you have actual seasons, and stuff. Anyway, the areas where you get 35C temps in the summer, is it also humid there, and how cold does it get in winter?

Just asking because in my particular area, it's the humidity that's brutal. With the humidity yesterday, it felt like 40C here. :scream: But then in winter, we also have temps of -20C, and colder with the windchill.

Where I am, south of Ian....and about 1/3 of the way down the north island, our summer temp peaks at about 30C, and is humid :yuck:. Winter it drops to about 0C and is damp :yuck::yuck:
My sister in law lives in Ashburton in the South Island. Her summers see her hitting 35C with ease, in a beautiful dry heat, and in winter she gets snow and it's beautiful and crisp.....I know where I want to be living.......

:lmao:

I've noticed the same trams appearing in my photos, but tram lines are much shorter than plane routes and have quick turnaround times at the end, so it's a bit more OK that I can point out certain trams on repeat runs!

What worries me is that in under an hour on the LaTrobe Street bridge, I can do 400 photos without even trying.

:laugh:

It was obviously on Auckland-Wellington-Auckland, and Pacific Blue do turn planes around rather quickly.

I only took 110 photos.

Just popped in out of boredom, and noticed your AC convo, and wanted to ask a question - I'm terribly uninformed about Aus/NZ weather, but I do know it's variable depending on where you are, and that you have actual seasons, and stuff. Anyway, the areas where you get 35C temps in the summer, is it also humid there, and how cold does it get in winter?

I don't keep an extremely close eye on temperatures, but i just have to say, your signature. Awesome.

Just popped in out of boredom, and noticed your AC convo, and wanted to ask a question - I'm terrible uninformed about Aus/NZ weather, but I do know it's variable depending on where you are, and that you have actual seasons, and stuff. Anyway, the areas where you get 35C temps in the summer, is it also humid there, and how cold does it get in winter?

I've lived in three places. The Kapiti Coast of New Zealand has a very mild climate. A hot summer's day is 27-28C and it's typically around the low to mid-20s, while in winter, it rarely drops below even -7C at night and it has never snowed there during my lifetime.

Then I spent nine years in Queensland, on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane. Queensland has four seasons: Summer, After Summer, Slightly Cooler Than Summer, and Nearly Summer Again. It is seriously fucking humid to the point of suffocation in summer. Temperatures may often not be much past 30-32C, and on a raw temperature reading Brisbane will rarely hit the same summer highs as Melbourne, but the humidity is such that the apparent temperature is considerably worse. I have said that 40C in Melbourne does not feel as hot as 32C in Brisbane. As for winters, I think my year in Brisbane in 2006 says it all: there was not a single daily maximum temperature for the ENTIRE YEAR that was lower than 20C. Even the coldest winter day cracked 20. Nights do not hit zero.

Now I live in Melbourne, which thankfully has seasons. It can have very high temperatures in summer - repeated 41C days last summer - but has a dry heat and is more tolerable. Plus it's the kind of place to have 40C at midday and be down to 25C at 1:30pm (not kidding; it actually happened last January). In winter, it will get cold, though not as cold as the Kapiti Coast. Only a couple of nights so far this year have dropped below zero, though some days have struggled to crack 10-11C. The last time central Melbourne had snow was 1951; sleet in 1986. Though the Dandenongs to the east of the city have had snow as recently as 2006 (bizarrely, in mid-fucking-summer on Christmas Day!).

:laugh:

I was just scanning through the photos and wondered what the little white thing at the top of the picture was!

I stared at that pic for like a full minute before I finally found the second...plane? How can you even tell it's a plane!

Where I am, south of Ian....and about 1/3 of the way down the north island, our summer temp peaks at about 30C, and is humid :yuck:. Winter it drops to about 0C and is damp :yuck::yuck:
My sister in law lives in Ashburton in the South Island. Her summers see her hitting 35C with ease, in a beautiful dry heat, and in winter she gets snow and it's beautiful and crisp.....I know where I want to be living.......

I think here, it's the variability that gets me more than anything. Till yesterday, we'd been having an coolish - average spring, around 20C. Then the very next day, it's 32C and feels like 40C with humidity factored in. It's nuts. If there was some sort of transition it would probably be more bearable, but we don't get nice transitions here. :| And I hear you about drier heat. I had a friend that moved to Arizona where it gets a lot hotter, but is dry. She came back here after two years, and said that just walking across the street in humid weather nearly killed her.

So yeah, I guess my point is, yay AC.

I don't keep an extremely close eye on temperatures, but i just have to say, your signature. Awesome.

It's time to retire it till...Feb. '09. :sad:

Sup guys.

So tonight I was in the pool by myself and it was a nice balmy evening with clear skies, and it was just gorgeous to float around on my back in the lukewarm water, with the pool lights on and the stars overhead.

And there was a beachball floating in the pool, so I was like "I'm gonna drift over there and kick it straight up into the air!" I was on my back, see. And so I got over there, and I kicked the ball, and it went up into the air... and came down and hit me in the face.

That is the kind of luck I have.

Sup guys.

So tonight I was in the pool by myself and it was a nice balmy evening with clear skies, and it was just gorgeous to float around on my back in the lukewarm water, with the pool lights on and the stars overhead.

And there was a beachball floating in the pool, so I was like "I'm gonna drift over there and kick it straight up into the air!" I was on my back, see. And so I got over there, and I kicked the ball, and it went up into the air... and came down and hit me in the face.

That is the kind of luck I have.

:lmao: You just made me spit on my keyboard!! :lmao:

I've lived in three places. The Kapiti Coast of New Zealand has a very mild climate. A hot summer's day is 27-28C and it's typically around the low to mid-20s, while in winter, it rarely drops below even -7C at night and it has never snowed there during my lifetime.

Then I spent nine years in Queensland, on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane. Queensland has four seasons: Summer, After Summer, Slightly Cooler Than Summer, and Nearly Summer Again. It is seriously fucking humid to the point of suffocation in summer. Temperatures may often not be much past 30-32C, and on a raw temperature reading Brisbane will rarely hit the same summer highs as Melbourne, but the humidity is such that the apparent temperature is considerably worse. I have said that 40C in Melbourne does not feel as hot as 32C in Brisbane. As for winters, I think my year in Brisbane in 2006 says it all: there was not a single daily maximum temperature for the ENTIRE YEAR that was lower than 20C. Even the coldest winter day cracked 20. Nights do not hit zero.

Now I live in Melbourne, which thankfully has seasons. It can have very high temperatures in summer - repeated 41C days last summer - but has a dry heat and is more tolerable. Plus it's the kind of place to have 40C at midday and be down to 25C at 1:30pm (not kidding; it actually happened last January). In winter, it will get cold, though not as cold as the Kapiti Coast. Only a couple of nights so far this year have dropped below zero, though some days have struggled to crack 10-11C. The last time central Melbourne had snow was 1951; sleet in 1986. Though the Dandenongs to the east of the city have had snow as recently as 2006 (bizarrely, in mid-fucking-summer on Christmas Day!).

Wow, so you've experienced it all, then. Well, except for a *real* winter. ;)

I love weather. :nerd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom