Llanfairynghornwy, Anglesey, Wales superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our air conditioner has been running nonstop, i'm afraid it's going to break, with temps in the like 95 degrees, it's awful. i almost had heat stroke, strange temps for the beginning of June, these are more like August temps, weird weather in Atlanta.

See, I don't have air con in my place, nor anywhere else that I've lived, and I'm damn proud of it. It's a needless luxury.
when you're cold-blooded like me, you need all the coldness you can get. it's funny, i love hot weather, but i get so uncomfortable when it's hot. i guess i like the idea of having the air on, going swimming, etc. things you can't do in the wintertime. if i were ever crazy enough to own a house, i'd want an indoor pool, but to have it built in like a greenhouse, so it could be used year round :hmm:

I hate Paul McGuiness, should I go read this thread?

And, I hate warm weather, there's only so much clothing you can take off....you can always put on more

you live in a pretty cool climate.

Oh yeah, those 41C days in summer, really fucking cold.

No, I just own a fan. I'm not some bloated American who needs to waste resources having cold air blown up their arse.

Our air conditioner has been running nonstop, i'm afraid it's going to break, with temps in the like 95 degrees, it's awful. i almost had heat stroke, strange temps for the beginning of June, these are more like August temps, weird weather in Atlanta.
i bet! i was down there last month and it was hotter than it was here. i couldn't walk around much because of my foot (that's when it started bothering me, my mom thinks now it's because of the driving, like holding my foot in the position when driving that aggravated it) so we drove mostly instead of walking everywhere like we planned. although i wasn't too bummed because it was too hot to be walking around outside.

Oh yeah, those 41C days in summer, really fucking cold.

No, I just own a fan. I'm not some bloated American who needs to waste resources having cold air blown up their arse.
i hear you about the temperatures, that's how hot it usually gets here.

i wouldn't call myself a "bloated american" just because i need to keep the air on so i don't get overheated, get a migraine, and pass out. i get enough migraines in the summer as it is with having the air on full blast wherever i am.

i bet! i was down there last month and it was hotter than it was here. i couldn't walk around much because of my foot (that's when it started bothering me, my mom thinks now it's because of the driving, like holding my foot in the position when driving that aggravated it) so we drove mostly instead of walking everywhere like we planned. although i wasn't too bummed because it was too hot to be walking around outside.
It's been awful heat, I think I really may have had heat stroke because i was driving around with Mr. Brown in his truck and it doesn't have air conditioning and we went all over to yard sales all day and it killed me.

Ah, bullshit.

This photo would be just about perfect, except for that bloody bird!

IMG_1805.jpg

It's been awful heat, I think I really may have had heat stroke because i was driving around with Mr. Brown in his truck and it doesn't have air conditioning and we went all over to yard sales all day and it killed me.

yeah it's been bad, when i got to the restaurant we went to after the game i was dizzy and headachey and my vision was a little weird.

i think i'm still feeling the effects from heat stroke but i will be o.k. no big deal. i'll get over it. exagerrating heat stroke maybe a little.

RE: Paul McG....that reminds me of the writers strike. The writers wanting profits from internet stream commercial, even though they never got profits from commercials that aired on television in the first place.

i wouldn't call myself a "bloated american" just because i need to keep the air on so i don't get overheated, get a migraine, and pass out. i get enough migraines in the summer as it is with having the air on full blast wherever i am.

I should have qualified what I said to be with regards to normally healthy people. For most people, air conditioning and central heating is a completely wasteful luxury that churns through shitloads of resources for soft idiots who can't deal with reality and/or don't have the common sense to move somewhere with a climate more suited to them (if you can afford to centrally heat your home, you can afford to move somewhere with a climate more suited to you). Now, if you've got a medical condition that's aggravated by certain weather, then of course central heating and air conditioning's going to be a good idea and I'm not going to criticise anybody who has it.

The reason I slam "bloated Americans" is that almost the only people I know who are so lazy and materialistic as to have central heating (something I associate with shopping centres, office blocks, and other large developments) are Americans. None of my family have anything like that in their houses in New Zealand or Australia. Neither do my friends, with the exception of Fellow Albino Railfan who requires it due to medical reasons. I once lived in a house which had a wall-mounted air conditioning unit for the downstairs living area, and we never used it because it churned through our power bill, and frankly a fan does enough of a job.

Hell, I'm so cheap and so unwilling to churn through electricity that I keep putting off buying an electric blanket!

RE: Paul McG....that reminds me of the writers strike. The writers wanting profits from internet stream commercial, even though they never got profits from commercials that aired on television in the first place.

I think it's very diffferent and the writers' demands were quite reasonable, the whole industry has seen a new avenue for profits from the internet and dvd sales, while other avenues have possibly gone down, so they deserve to share in the profits; why should the networks get them instead of the creators?

it's very different - with music, i feel like the musicians are the creatorsand deserve a bigger share while it's the record companies who take most of the money. mcguinness's bitching isn't gonna help the musicians get any more.

I should have qualified what I said to be with regards to normally healthy people. For most people, air conditioning and central heating is a completely wasteful luxury that churns through shitloads of resources for soft idiots who can't deal with reality and/or don't have the common sense to move somewhere with a climate more suited to them (if you can afford to centrally heat your home, you can afford to move somewhere with a climate more suited to you). Now, if you've got a medical condition that's aggravated by certain weather, then of course central heating and air conditioning's going to be a good idea and I'm not going to criticise anybody who has it.

The reason I slam "bloated Americans" is that almost the only people I know who are so lazy and materialistic as to have central heating (something I associate with shopping centres, office blocks, and other large developments) are Americans. None of my family have anything like that in their houses in New Zealand or Australia. Neither do my friends, with the exception of Fellow Albino Railfan who requires it due to medical reasons. I once lived in a house which had a wall-mounted air conditioning unit for the downstairs living area, and we never used it because it churned through our power bill, and frankly a fan does enough of a job.

Hell, I'm so cheap and so unwilling to churn through electricity that I keep putting off buying an electric blanket!
no it's okay, i understand what you mean. because like you said, most people just keep it on because "waah i'm hot" - well why do you live in the south?* i like the hot southern weather because i'm a weirdo, and i can't imagine it NOT being 100+ degrees in the summer. but i need the air on! hehe.

it's funny, even my mom, who hates having the house closed up has to have it on when it gets to be hot. she can't sweat. really! so she gets all flushed and stuff when she gets hot. i can't imagine how uncomfortable she is when we go to the gym!

*note i'm jealous of the fact that lots of these people have cushy jobs at fed ex and i want them to move so i can have their job and money :D

we have a/c as a unit we put into the living room in the summer, and when i'ts really bad, my asthmatic mother and sister sleep in there. we have radiator heating but our house is also 200+ years old. i don't really see your gripe with the systems in general - americans do overheat and over-a/c their homes and offices in comparison to the rest of the world, and i hated that in my office last summer i needed a shawl or sweater cause of the chill. but the world's population is big and people need to spread out and live in places with extreme climates, and those systems make us more comfortable, healthy and efficient when used in moderation. so like i said, yes, americans overuse those systems, but seriously, this is another example of you having your panties in a wad about the us/things other people do that you look down upon.

Ax, moving to a new place >>>>expensive>>>> Central Heating/Air, but I understand your point.

As far as television writers and the strike, I think both sides were being pretty ridiculous, and as far as DVD sales are concerned, yes, profits should be given to the writers, but I really don't know about internet streams. :shrug:

Re: Air conditioning.

I don't have it and don't bother with it. In my experiences everywhere i go with air conditioning is too cold in the summer (and as such, is great for causing colds as you step back into the heat) and too hot in winter (same as before, except replace heat with cold).

I imagine if i lived somewhere with central heating or whatever i might employ it every now and then - but i have a heater plugged in right outside my room and i haven't switched it on in months so i'm in the stingy Axver camp.

Ax, moving to a new place >>>>expensive>>>> Central Heating/Air, but I understand your point.

As far as television writers and the strike, I think both sides were being pretty ridiculous, and as far as DVD sales are concerned, yes, profits should be given to the writers, but I really don't know about internet streams. :shrug:

agreed about the expenses of moving

well, people are more and more watching streams rather than on tv (my friends who are just getting post-college apartments are all doing that rather than buying a tv!) so i really think it's fair, yes, both sides were overboard but the writers (and actors and directors and such) deserve some of it.

ok bed/distractions until bed. :wave:

I could not imagine living with a fan in summer Thank goodness and technology for air conditioning , one of the greatest things invented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom