Llanfairynghornwy, Anglesey, Wales superthread - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 AM   #916
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:21 AM
i think i'm still feeling the effects from heat stroke but i will be o.k. no big deal. i'll get over it. exagerrating heat stroke maybe a little.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 AM   #917
Blue Crack Addict

i'm trying to drink lots of water now, still got a little headache but i'm too lazy to find ibuprofin.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 AM   #918
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:21 PM
RE: Paul McG....that reminds me of the writers strike. The writers wanting profits from internet stream commercial, even though they never got profits from commercials that aired on television in the first place.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:53 AM   #919
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i wouldn't call myself a "bloated american" just because i need to keep the air on so i don't get overheated, get a migraine, and pass out. i get enough migraines in the summer as it is with having the air on full blast wherever i am.
I should have qualified what I said to be with regards to normally healthy people. For most people, air conditioning and central heating is a completely wasteful luxury that churns through shitloads of resources for soft idiots who can't deal with reality and/or don't have the common sense to move somewhere with a climate more suited to them (if you can afford to centrally heat your home, you can afford to move somewhere with a climate more suited to you). Now, if you've got a medical condition that's aggravated by certain weather, then of course central heating and air conditioning's going to be a good idea and I'm not going to criticise anybody who has it.

The reason I slam "bloated Americans" is that almost the only people I know who are so lazy and materialistic as to have central heating (something I associate with shopping centres, office blocks, and other large developments) are Americans. None of my family have anything like that in their houses in New Zealand or Australia. Neither do my friends, with the exception of Fellow Albino Railfan who requires it due to medical reasons. I once lived in a house which had a wall-mounted air conditioning unit for the downstairs living area, and we never used it because it churned through our power bill, and frankly a fan does enough of a job.

Hell, I'm so cheap and so unwilling to churn through electricity that I keep putting off buying an electric blanket!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-08-2008, 01:56 AM   #920
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
RE: Paul McG....that reminds me of the writers strike. The writers wanting profits from internet stream commercial, even though they never got profits from commercials that aired on television in the first place.
I think it's very diffferent and the writers' demands were quite reasonable, the whole industry has seen a new avenue for profits from the internet and dvd sales, while other avenues have possibly gone down, so they deserve to share in the profits; why should the networks get them instead of the creators?

it's very different - with music, i feel like the musicians are the creatorsand deserve a bigger share while it's the record companies who take most of the money. mcguinness's bitching isn't gonna help the musicians get any more.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #921
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
i'm trying to drink lots of water now, still got a little headache but i'm too lazy to find ibuprofin.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 AM   #922
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I should have qualified what I said to be with regards to normally healthy people. For most people, air conditioning and central heating is a completely wasteful luxury that churns through shitloads of resources for soft idiots who can't deal with reality and/or don't have the common sense to move somewhere with a climate more suited to them (if you can afford to centrally heat your home, you can afford to move somewhere with a climate more suited to you). Now, if you've got a medical condition that's aggravated by certain weather, then of course central heating and air conditioning's going to be a good idea and I'm not going to criticise anybody who has it.

The reason I slam "bloated Americans" is that almost the only people I know who are so lazy and materialistic as to have central heating (something I associate with shopping centres, office blocks, and other large developments) are Americans. None of my family have anything like that in their houses in New Zealand or Australia. Neither do my friends, with the exception of Fellow Albino Railfan who requires it due to medical reasons. I once lived in a house which had a wall-mounted air conditioning unit for the downstairs living area, and we never used it because it churned through our power bill, and frankly a fan does enough of a job.

Hell, I'm so cheap and so unwilling to churn through electricity that I keep putting off buying an electric blanket!
no it's okay, i understand what you mean. because like you said, most people just keep it on because "waah i'm hot" - well why do you live in the south?* i like the hot southern weather because i'm a weirdo, and i can't imagine it NOT being 100+ degrees in the summer. but i need the air on! hehe.

it's funny, even my mom, who hates having the house closed up has to have it on when it gets to be hot. she can't sweat. really! so she gets all flushed and stuff when she gets hot. i can't imagine how uncomfortable she is when we go to the gym!

*note i'm jealous of the fact that lots of these people have cushy jobs at fed ex and i want them to move so i can have their job and money
Old 06-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #923
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:21 PM
I'm having a quickie.

Er, sorry. I mean quiche.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:02 AM   #924
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

we have a/c as a unit we put into the living room in the summer, and when i'ts really bad, my asthmatic mother and sister sleep in there. we have radiator heating but our house is also 200+ years old. i don't really see your gripe with the systems in general - americans do overheat and over-a/c their homes and offices in comparison to the rest of the world, and i hated that in my office last summer i needed a shawl or sweater cause of the chill. but the world's population is big and people need to spread out and live in places with extreme climates, and those systems make us more comfortable, healthy and efficient when used in moderation. so like i said, yes, americans overuse those systems, but seriously, this is another example of you having your panties in a wad about the us/things other people do that you look down upon.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #925
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I'm having a quickie.

Er, sorry. I mean quiche.
my friends and i had that joke for such a long time, ah good memories.

i first saw that and i thought "oh ian, why rush your self love"
Old 06-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #926
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Ax, moving to a new place >>>>expensive>>>> Central Heating/Air, but I understand your point.

As far as television writers and the strike, I think both sides were being pretty ridiculous, and as far as DVD sales are concerned, yes, profits should be given to the writers, but I really don't know about internet streams.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #927
Blue Crack Addict

ok should i watch tudors or read how lazy am i....and which will put me to sleep faster...
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #928
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Re: Air conditioning.

I don't have it and don't bother with it. In my experiences everywhere i go with air conditioning is too cold in the summer (and as such, is great for causing colds as you step back into the heat) and too hot in winter (same as before, except replace heat with cold).

I imagine if i lived somewhere with central heating or whatever i might employ it every now and then - but i have a heater plugged in right outside my room and i haven't switched it on in months so i'm in the stingy Axver camp.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #929
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Ax, moving to a new place >>>>expensive>>>> Central Heating/Air, but I understand your point.

As far as television writers and the strike, I think both sides were being pretty ridiculous, and as far as DVD sales are concerned, yes, profits should be given to the writers, but I really don't know about internet streams.
agreed about the expenses of moving

well, people are more and more watching streams rather than on tv (my friends who are just getting post-college apartments are all doing that rather than buying a tv!) so i really think it's fair, yes, both sides were overboard but the writers (and actors and directors and such) deserve some of it.

ok bed/distractions until bed.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #930
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I could not imagine living with a fan in summer Thank goodness and technology for air conditioning , one of the greatest things invented.

Tags
superthread