Llanfairynghornwy, Anglesey, Wales superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, Wales! :yippie:

It's not enough to keep me awake though. :yawn:

:wave:

:laugh: :wave:

I ended up walking half an hour from Moonee Ponds railway station to home. I am thoroughly buggered, but for some reason still glued to the computer ...

Yep. Should sleep soon, but I'm enjoying some port right now. Never realised just how much I like the stuff.

Did you see my post earlier about my drinking last night?

I think so, yeah. What'd you have, four glasses of port, a bit of vodka and some red, that right? Not bad - a few cups of port really does me in. :lol:

I'm sort of pissed off. I'm back in Minlaton and went over to a mate's place and asked him if anything was going on there tonight (usually there is), he said there probably would be, it's complicated - he and some others went over to another nearby town to get a bunch of people to come over, but as far as I can tell they're still over there. Wouldn't be surprised if they show up when I'm about to go to bed. Fucking annoying, though. Especially since all I really wanted to do was score pot from someone there.

I think so, yeah. What'd you have, four glasses of port, a bit of vodka and some red, that right? Not bad - a few cups of port really does me in. :lol:[/B]

Yep. Also had this huge cup of a mix Fellow Albino Railfan made - lemonade, red cordial, and vodka. That was ... interesting. I was concerned about how scullable it was! :laugh:

Surprised I didn't get substantially drunk. But god, I love port. Had a bit more this evening just because I like the taste so much.

I was also joking last night that vodka seems like it will be this winter's cheap solution to heating ... :lol:

I'm sort of pissed off. I'm back in Minlaton and went over to a mate's place and asked him if anything was going on there tonight (usually there is), he said there probably would be, it's complicated - he and some others went over to another nearby town to get a bunch of people to come over, but as far as I can tell they're still over there. Wouldn't be surprised if they show up when I'm about to go to bed. Fucking annoying, though. Especially since all I really wanted to do was score pot from someone there.

Bah, complicated social stuff is too much of a hassle. My solution is usually just to tell people precisely what I think and then do what suits me best! As for you, you should just be in Melbourne already and have come to U2 3D!

Incidentally, Bonnie, be proud: the port I bought yesterday is from the Barossa Valley.

Yep. Also had this huge cup of a mix Fellow Albino Railfan made - lemonade, red cordial, and vodka. That was ... interesting. I was concerned about how scullable it was! :laugh:

Surprised I didn't get substantially drunk. But god, I love port. Had a bit more this evening just because I like the taste so much.

I was also joking last night that vodka seems like it will be this winter's cheap solution to heating ... :lol:[/b]

You think that's interesting? Wait til you try iced coffee mixed with chardonnay. Or one of those drinks where it's a group effort and everyone just puts whatever they want into the bottle (rum, vodka, tabasco, coffee, whiz fiz, pot etc.) and some lucky bastard gets to drink it. Actually, you might genuinely want to wait for that.

Port is delicious, I'm glad you like it, it's one of my favourite drinks too.

Bah, complicated social stuff is too much of a hassle. My solution is usually just to tell people precisely what I think and then do what suits me best! As for you, you should just be in Melbourne already and have come to U2 3D!

Yeah, well - that's really difficult with a lot of my friends. Nigh on impossible. In comparison to some of them, I'm almost organised.

You think that's interesting? Wait til you try iced coffee mixed with chardonnay. Or one of those drinks where it's a group effort and everyone just puts whatever they want into the bottle (rum, vodka, tabasco, coffee, whiz fiz, pot etc.) and some lucky bastard gets to drink it. Actually, you might genuinely want to wait for that.

Port is delicious, I'm glad you like it, it's one of my favourite drinks too.

:lol: I must say, I feel mixing any wine with any kind of coffee feels like such a waste of perfectly good wine. And next time we have a booze-up, maybe we'll try doing some kind of group effort! That sounds like it has potential for lulz. Speaking of our next booze-up, we were thinking we'd have to get something with an even higher alcoholic content than vodka next time, and Fellow Albino Railfan and I were a bit worried when we both blurted out absinthe at the same time. Neither of us have anything to properly serve absinthe though.

As for port, it's just a shame that I can't exactly afford the very best, i.e. vintage port.

Yeah, well - that's really difficult with a lot of my friends. Nigh on impossible. In comparison to some of them, I'm almost organised.

I'm kind of fond of the reputation I've cultivated as a bit of a mild arsehole. It means that my friends EXPECT me to be bluntly honest - and are bluntly honest to me as well. Less difficulty in social relations. :up:

:lol: I must say, I feel mixing any wine with any kind of coffee feels like such a waste of perfectly good wine. And next time we have a booze-up, maybe we'll try doing some kind of group effort! That sounds like it has potential for lulz. Speaking of our next booze-up, we were thinking we'd have to get something with an even higher alcoholic content than vodka next time, and Fellow Albino Railfan and I were a bit worried when we both blurted out absinthe at the same time. Neither of us have anything to properly serve absinthe though.

As for port, it's just a shame that I can't exactly afford the very best, i.e. vintage port.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - you should try something like that! I'd almost suggest we did one while I'm around, though that may not be the wisest of ideas!

As for absinthe - well, you don't have to go to a higher spirit immediately, perhaps you just need something different to vodka that's also around the 40% mark, if not in slightly higher quantities. Though serving absinthe correctly is of course part of the fun, you can drink it just fine with cold water and a drop of sugar shaken in. You could try shots too, but... well, you probably don't want to do that. :lol:

I'm kind of fond of the reputation I've cultivated as a bit of a mild arsehole. It means that my friends EXPECT me to be bluntly honest - and are bluntly honest to me as well. Less difficulty in social relations. :up:

I think I need to do a bit more of arseholing about, unfortunately I'm a bit more carefree socially than I may seem here. Sticking to the point is something I would like to teach a few of my mates to do. And listening.

I'm not up to date with this - details?

The entire Adelaide suburban rail network is being electrified except the Belair line (it is pending some review, and until that is undertaken, electrification is not actually possible for some obscure technical reason I believe is related to signalling). The entire Adelaide suburban rail network is also being regauged from broad gauge to standard gauge for better national compatibility. There will be significant tram expansion, firstly to the Entertainment Centre and then to AAMI Stadium/West Lakes and Port Adelaide/Semaphore. The latter will involve an Australian first in that the tram will in places share a line with the Outer Harbour railway line - can't wait to see how the fuck that works out. Obviously, this means they're also ordering new trains and trams.

It's all stuff that should have been done a long time ago, but I am MASSIVELY impressed with the huge scope and vision of this. No half-measures here. The government's pulling out all the stops.

If you care enough, this PDF file has more info: http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/general/pdfs/OMPbudget.pdf

Whoa, cool! I'm surprised they'd go with something like this, public transport isn't really one of the strongpoints here.

Would be nice if there was another tram going down south (possibly Noarlunga, Blackwood or Marion?) but that's still neat. :up:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - you should try something like that! I'd almost suggest we did one while I'm around, though that may not be the wisest of ideas!

As for absinthe - well, you don't have to go to a higher spirit immediately, perhaps you just need something different to vodka that's also around the 40% mark, if not in slightly higher quantities. Though serving absinthe correctly is of course part of the fun, you can drink it just fine with cold water and a drop of sugar shaken in. You could try shots too, but... well, you probably don't want to do that. :lol:

:lol: Must admit, it seems we have intentions to do plenty of things when you get here, but how much will actually get done! We need to hammer out some plans in the coming week; I think this is one of those times when having stuff determined nicely in advance would be really helpful. Plus it means we might be able to get U-Wen in on more stuff!

The whole "we need something with a higher alcoholic content" thing came from one of the guys who was a bit of an alcohol n00b, who was impressed by the alcoholic content of vodka and wondered what out there is stronger; that discussion evolved into "yeah, let's get something stronger next time!" I actually liked the straight vodka, and the others were impressed when I went back for more after my first little bit! Having proper glasses would've helped; it seemed a bit odd drinking vodka out of a wine glass.

Plus, I've got to admit, I'm quite curious about absinthe. It sounds interesting, especially the proper serving method.

Whoa, cool! I'm surprised they'd go with something like this, public transport isn't really one of the strongpoints here.

Would be nice if there was another tram going down south (possibly Noarlunga, Blackwood or Marion?) but that's still neat. :up:

Apparently Family First managed to convince parliament to launch an inquiry into passenger rail and the possibility of reintroducing regional passenger trains. I've seen a lot of people criticise that though; they think it's sheer populist politics from Family First that ignores the real issues of getting more freight onto rail first, then reintroducing passenger services. Not being familiar with the details of SA's transport network, I don't have an opinion, but I see anything in favour of public transport to be a positive step. Looks like SA may have reached a turning point; just wish VIC would. Sure, we've got everything that's only now being started in SA, but Melbourne's a much bigger city and the same problem of transport inadequacy is present here and we need a project of similarly large scope to rectify decades-old problems.

I note there's also a plan to reserve land for a possible rail extension to Aldinga/Seaford; not being familiar with Adelaide geography, I've no idea where that is, so would something like that help out down south, or is it totally in another direction?

Sweet jesus, check out this quote from some guy at u2torrents.com:

(on Syracuse JT video)
"That's right! This is not recorded for Rattle and Hum. If you see the date, is it from 'The Joshua Tree Tour' in 1987. Rattle and Hum was recorded on 'Lovetown Tour' in 1989. So the conclussion is clear.. "

Fuck me, if you're going to go download bootlegs of a band, you'd reckon you'd have a basic idea of their history.

Sweet jesus, check out this quote from some guy at u2torrents.com:

(on Syracuse JT video)
"That's right! This is not recorded for Rattle and Hum. If you see the date, is it from 'The Joshua Tree Tour' in 1987. Rattle and Hum was recorded on 'Lovetown Tour' in 1989. So the conclussion is clear.. "

Fuck me, if you're going to go download bootlegs of a band, you'd reckon you'd have a basic idea of their history.

:lmao: :lmao:

Oh, that's too funny.

:lol: Must admit, it seems we have intentions to do plenty of things when you get here, but how much will actually get done! We need to hammer out some plans in the coming week; I think this is one of those times when having stuff determined nicely in advance would be really helpful. Plus it means we might be able to get U-Wen in on more stuff!

The whole "we need something with a higher alcoholic content" thing came from one of the guys who was a bit of an alcohol n00b, who was impressed by the alcoholic content of vodka and wondered what out there is stronger; that discussion evolved into "yeah, let's get something stronger next time!" I actually liked the straight vodka, and the others were impressed when I went back for more after my first little bit! Having proper glasses would've helped; it seemed a bit odd drinking vodka out of a wine glass.

Plus, I've got to admit, I'm quite curious about absinthe. It sounds interesting, especially the proper serving method.

Yeah, we should start getting some ideas in place. I wanted to meet up with another mate too, and I need to figure out what I'll be doing with him and when. I imagine it won't be much more than a quick stop at a pub or going to his place for a bit and ordering Indian takeaway. So yeah, I'll try to get his word first since he's working a fair bit these days.

Figures a newbie would say something like that! :lol: Like I said, you don't necessarily need to get something of a higher content. But absinthe will do you just fine if that's what you're really after. I would love to see that guy's face the first time he takes a sip of it (preferably straight). It feels like your throat's gone numb. The bottles can be pricey ($50+) so you might want to all pitch in for it. Don't worry, it tends to last!

As for proper glasses, don't worry about it. The way dishes are done at my place, I drink milk out of one of those proper Stella Artois glasses every day. I know at least one time I had to drink it out of a shotglass!

Apparently Family First managed to convince parliament to launch an inquiry into passenger rail and the possibility of reintroducing regional passenger trains. I've seen a lot of people criticise that though; they think it's sheer populist politics from Family First that ignores the real issues of getting more freight onto rail first, then reintroducing passenger services. Not being familiar with the details of SA's transport network, I don't have an opinion, but I see anything in favour of public transport to be a positive step. Looks like SA may have reached a turning point; just wish VIC would. Sure, we've got everything that's only now being started in SA, but Melbourne's a much bigger city and the same problem of transport inadequacy is present here and we need a project of similarly large scope to rectify decades-old problems.

I note there's also a plan to reserve land for a possible rail extension to Aldinga/Seaford; not being familiar with Adelaide geography, I've no idea where that is, so would something like that help out down south, or is it totally in another direction?

That sounds about right. I'm no expert on our transport network either, though - all I know is that buses are real smelly and it tends to be the worst possible person that sits next to you.

Seaford is way down south, so that sounds good to me. :up:

the thread is halfway down the page...

i just had a really wack dream about buying houses vs apartments or something, not my own but someone else's, and putting my grandparents in wheelchairs.

and i can't believe my mom let me sleep til now, she said she was waking me up early :D

Funny dream, sleepyhead. Don't tell the grandparents :)

I dreamt I was helping Jennifer Aniston clean her house (I was wiping down the walls) cuz she was moving and David Schwimmer was moving in :lol:

:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom