Live suicide at a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
I am not sure of the validity of this. I read it at another music site I post at, but I guess it has been talked about all over the world:

Industrial rock band HELL ON EARTH will feature a "live suicide" at their State Theatre performance in St. Petersburg, Florida on Saturday, October 4. A Euthanasia Society member will carry out the suicide to raise awareness for dying with dignity. The Euthanasia member, who suffers from a terminal illness, is using the event as a platform to help make backstreet suicides a thing of the past.

Though his identity is being withheld until the day of the event, he did have this to say, "I thank the Lord that HELL ON EARTH is giving me this opportunity to end my suffering. I just want to say as my last will and testament that this is my God-given choice to end my life. I'd prefer to have a physician-assisted suicide but until the laws are changed, those who are in pain like me will either have to continue to suffer or do it themselves."

The event, "The Hell On Earth Haunted Tour", is part of a national tour the band is on to support their new album, "All Things Disturbingly Sassy".

I am not sure if dying with dignity could be found by killing yourself at a HELL ON EARTH concert. :eyebrow:

This is disturbing. And its NOT in that "disturbing but I wanna see it anyway" kind of fashion. This angers me maximum. Maximum anger.

No one should ever make light or glorify that act. Its wrong, and when are people going to understand THAT!!!

Very wrong. And sick to make light of.

If it's against Florida law, which he makes it sound like it is, and they are announcing it beforehand, me-thinks this is bullshit as it would be stopped by police before the band even unloaded their first amp from their shitty van.

zonelistener said:
Industrial rock band HELL ON EARTH will feature a "live suicide" at their State Theatre performance in St. Petersburg, Florida on Saturday, October 4. A Euthanasia Society member will carry out the suicide to raise awareness for dying with dignity.

Where is the dignity in killing yourself at a rock concert???

that's disturbing. i don't know, i kind of see it as being slightly disrespectful towards people who have been killed at shows.

Hmmm.

While I have no problem with people who have terminal illnesses wishing to end their suffering through euthanasia...I personally don't think that'd be the thing I'd want to witness at a concert. Most people go to concerts for fun, not to watch people die (I've never understood why people came to see hangings or the other methods people have been put to death by-like those who watch someone get a lethal injection or something...I find it really disturbing that people enjoy watching that stuff).

But then again, with that crowd, it might make more sense to them to witness this.

*Shrugs* I dunno. I find it disturbing...but whatever.

Angela

A backstreet suicide runs along the same vein as the abortion debate MissV. Anyone willing to get assistance with euthanising themselves must find a doctor willing to help which is extremely difficult as the doctor risks losing his/her licence by breaking the Oath.
The one big difference with this is it simply is no more than a public suicide while wishing to create a huge spectacle. This can't possibly fall under the already tenuous label of euthanasia as I cant see how any doctor would be willing or able to stand up in such a large public audience and help. Suicide on its own is illegal, and currently euthanasia is as well. the only difference I see between the 2 is one is after the support and backing of the law and medical profession to help ensure it is humane and done only as a last resort to put an end to unimaginable suffering.

Sorry for rambling, this is not a political debate in FYM. This makes me sick. Its a mockery.

this person is making a mockery of the cause, i hope they realize...do they honestly think people will take them seriously by staging this at a concert? i'm baffled...

has anyone checked the link bonochick provided?

they seem like one heck of a band, don't they?? :eyebrow:

i'll stay out of this debate, it's way too fymish for me. bottom line is i think it's disturbing if it's real, but i have a feeling it's a publicity stunt.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
"Hell on Earth -- whose songs include "Toilet Licking Maggot" and "Raped by the Virgin Mary" and whose past stage stunts, according to Tourtelot, include having intercourse with cows and drinking blended rats"

their mom's must be so proud

Wow they make Cannibal Corpse look like a boy band with all these crazy songs :lol: :tongue:

The show has been canceled:

...the theater's owner, David Hundley, promptly canceled the band's show, and another venue also turned away the event.

Band leader Billy Tourtelot has vowed that the concert and suicide will still take place at an undisclosed location in the city, broadcast live on the band's Web site.

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=135666

Last edited:
Point one, it's sick. And point two, how in the world do they think this raises awareness for "dying with dignity." All it will do is to turn people against the idea of euthanasia, because it's such a provocative and disturbing stunt.

Back
Top Bottom