Live Earth on the Mall in D.C. - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #751
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 AM
We had awesome coverage in Canada on 5 channels, so you could see all the shows in their entirety.

Madonna was the best. The best! So damn entertaining. I was surprised by how little I cared for The Smashing Pumpkins, especially since they were so huge when I was a teenager. But I think they're a good example of a band whose time has come and gone. James Blunt is genuinely ugly and makes awful faces when he sings. So does John Mayer. He looks like he's in pain on stage. Richie Sambora is so damn nasty. Those are my thoughts.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #752
Refugee

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Aside from the Pumpkins (there was a real sense of danger there) and Foo Fighters, I thought it was incredibly boring.

I actually felt a little embarrassed watching Madonna prancing around like a drunken aunt at a wedding. She tries so hard to remain "hip" and "relevant" that it reeks of desperation.

I think this mini review from the New York Times hits the nail on the head:

July 7, 2007, 10:05 pm
Live Earth: First Politeness, Then Came an Elemental Force
By Jon Pareles

EAST RUTHERFORD,N.J. — Until the Smashing Pumpkins came on, everything was polite at Live Earth. The strutting rappers, the heartsick but revved up emo guys, soul-belting Alicia Keys, brooding, bluesy john Mayer — they all dug into their songs the way they were supposed to. But in a day when the speeches invoked impending doom, only Dave Matthews’s deep drone version of “Don’t Drink the Water” started to sound truly ominous. Then the new Smashing Pumpkins arrived, dressed in white, and charged into a barreling, pummeling triplet beat as Billy Corgan unleashed a landscape-leveling power-chord drone and yowled words that may well have been “Air pollution!” He worked over his guitar, and the only posturing came when he briefly and gratuitously played part of “The Star-Spangled Banner” within a solo. It was the sound itself that crashed through the decorum, and it arrived with elemental force.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #753
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Slapnutz
I actually felt a little embarrassed watching Madonna prancing around like a drunken aunt at a wedding. She tries so hard to remain "hip" and "relevant" that it reeks of desperation.
I disagree with that paragraph so much, I don't even know where to start.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #754
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:42 AM
The few songs of Madonna I caught I enjoyed
I'm with you on that corianderstem
Old 07-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #755
War Child

not trying to provoke a fight, but i found it kind of repulsive that the "official video//song" (??) for the event was by madonna... i'll admit i didn't see her performance, but i couldn't make it through that video.. since when has environmental awareness been something she advocated?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #756
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't think it's a very good song, but I don't find anything repulsive about it.

Since when does someone have to be a lifelong advocate for something to say something about it now?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #757
War Child

...granted, it's not required, but it lends a great deal more credibility, when it's the "official song" of the event.

I wouldn't deny madonna the opportunity to be involved, but there are any number of bands out there that have been concerned about the issue for a long time- Joni Mitchell, Neville Brothers, Don Henley, Crosby Stills, Nash (& Young), Michael Franti, REM (among many others, not to mention U2, but that's another topic)... who've been dedicated to this cause for years.

sure there's the risk of them being called "old hippies" or whatever, but madonna's not so "young" either.

I think a lot of U2//Geldof success with Live 8// Live Aid come from the fact that they've been concerned about it for so long.

The same goes for Al Gore. He's been concerned about this cause for years, despite whatever momentary criticisms or ulterior motivation his political opponents attempt to pin on him.

I'm not saying this to be arbitrarily critical, but out of concern for the cause. I think there were better choices for "official song" or the artist to have come up with it.

anyway.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #758
The Male

I did NOT enjoy the official Live Earth song she did, but Ray of Light was great, and Hung Up was quite good.

Now.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #759
Blue Crack Distributor

Not to pick on you, dr. zooeuss, but you're not the only one whose made some kind of comment about Madonna "not being young," and it's driving me batty.

Who cares? She's nearing 50 and put a lot of those other performers to shame yesterday. She commanded that stage with her energy, dancing, and just the all-out performance she gave. And hey, if I can look half that good when I'm her age, I will have nothing to complain about in that department.

And as for the comments about how she's "desperate" to be relevant or hip or whatever ... how so? She set out to record a dance record with her last release, and she did. It was a damn good one, too. If dance music (or Madonna) isn't your thing, fine. But to just dismiss her because it's not your thing or because she's old? Come on.

As for the official song, who knows? Was she the only one approached? Did she volunteer? Did others who were approached to write something first turn it down for one reason or another? Hard to say.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #760
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:42 AM
I'm surprised Melissa Etheridge didn't sing it, but I guess it would've interrupted her story-time between every song.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #761
Blue Crack Distributor

She already has her Oscar-winning song from "An Inconvenient Truth." That's plenty.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #762
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I'm surprised Melissa Etheridge didn't sing it, but I guess it would've interrupted her story-time between every song.
She wins for post boring performance of the day. (The Police put up a good fight, but not even an 8 minute version of Roxanne can beat her)

Taking Back Sunday wins for most paint-peelingly bad performance of the day.

And the Antarctica Psychedelic Penguin Posse Band wins for most indietastic.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #763
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
She already has her Oscar-winning song from "An Inconvenient Truth." That's plenty.
Even that one was a bore. Eminem won an Oscar, too, so I take that category with a grain of salt.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #764
Blue Crack Distributor

Seriously. I was so disappointed that song won. And I don't even remember what it was up against.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #765
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Every song from Dreamgirls and a Randy Newman song.

"I could be wrong now... BUT I DON'T TINK SO!"

Tags
live earth