Live Earth: Al Gore's Global Warming Concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on which artists are performing. :hmm:

If D.C. gets some killer acts lined up I'll totally be there.

Not to totally de-rail this thread but Lance I find it amazing what a shock a simple change of avatar can give you. It took me a few seconds to realize who you are. I had always associated you with Colbert so this will take some getting used to! Good choice though.

:drool:

Uh, yeah about the concert. It looks promising enough but like Lance I will wait and see what other artists get booked.

Who the hell will be in attendance at a concert in Antartica? The penguins?

:hmm: :

Has DC been confirmed as the U.S. spot? I know it was strongly rumored that it would be the U.S. city, but the site has the U.S. city as TBD still.

If it is in DC (or anywhere between there and Boston), I am considering going, but it will be dependent on who's performing there. Also depends on venue - if it's someplace like the Mall, then I probably would pass.

Roger Waters is interested in performing with Pink Floyd...

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/roger-waters-talks-of-touring-the-incas-and-of-pink-floyd.html

Tomorrow night sees the Roger Waters 2007 tour resume with first of a total of ten Mexican and South American concerts. Naturally thrilled with the upcoming appearance of Roger, the local media have been conducting a number of interviews with him.

In the interviews, he again expresses his wholehearted willingness to perform again with his ex-Pink Floyd buddies should circumstances permit...

In the most extensive of the interviews, Roger tells the Washington Times that "I would do something else (like Live 8) in a heartbeat -- but if it was for anything more than a few songs, then I think there would be difficulties." He added: "I felt it was very important for me to do Live 8, and I thought it was great to get onstage with the other three guys. I had nothing but positive feelings about that."

Having clearly spent much time thinking about the conflicts within the band which lead to the split in the mid-eighties, Roger admitted that "I don't think any of us came out of the years from 1985 with any credit, really. It was a bad, negative time, really. And I regret my part in that negativity.

"I was actually more attached to the philosophy and politics of Pink Floyd than the others were -- certainly more so than David was. In a way, whatever I did I did in a way to protect the integrity of what I saw as being important about the work that the four of us did together.

"I realize now that move was doomed to failure ... and why should I have imposed my feelings about the work and what it was worth on the others if they didn't feel the same? I was wrong in attempting to do that."

In a telephone interview with Peruvian media, the Live 8 show inspired a question about the upcoming Live Earth concert on July 7th. Whilst there have been many rumours of acts that will be involved in the shows worldwide, the confirmed artists have hardly inspired music fans.

In the interview, Roger is asked if it were possible that Pink Floyd could reunite again for the Live Earth show. He said: "I'm up for it if David Gilmour will agree to play with me. I will honestly join him, if he agrees... I've got no problem with it, in fact, I would love it."

Elsewhere, on the andina website he is asked what made him decide to perform in Peru. "When they asked me about [playing in] Peru, I said that it would be a good idea. I knew of the Inca culture, as they taught us about it in school. A lot of people have also said that I must go to Machu Picchu, although I don't believe we'll have time on this visit."

They asked him how it felt to sing with Pink Floyd at Live 8 after so much time had passed. "Wonderful, I enjoyed every moment on the stage. I felt the wave of expectation of the public present and of the people who saw us on television. The emotion of the public to see us - the four of us together again - could be felt. Personally, I felt that it helped my perception with people, because at the time at which we separated, they saw me as the bad one of the group. But it was not thus, we separated because things happened."

And again, the suggestion of Pink Floyd appearing at the Live Earth concert came up: "I do not have any problem with that. Let us hope that they don't either. If they ask me, I will be there."

Finally, in an article in the Mexican El Norte newspaper, Waters talks at length of how his treatment of Dark Side of the Moon was designed to impress in a visual, as well as musical, manner. “The visual part is more powerful [than earlier tours]; it is very beautiful. All the show is monochrome, the idea is based on the six colours of the rainbow, and I said "hey - we didn't use a colour for each song". So the starting point, the simplest thing that we could make, was to show the moon on the screen and have changing colours”.

He noted that he holds rich memories from Mexico, when he was there in 2002.

“Fans did something amazing the last time that I was there. As an encore I played 'Flickering Flame', and something happened that I'd never seen before: 30 thousand people igniting and extinguishing its lighters to the sound of a song that they'd never heard.

“That was fabulous, absolutely fabulous. I have never seen it in any other city of the world. I hope that they do it again”, he said, smiling.

On the subject of the reunion in 2005, he reflects on the importance of the "symbiosis between the four band members, in which I call the golden years of the band, all we contributed, the combination of the four separated talents was something very very special”.

However, he has thought about the possible obsticle to another reunion. “The problem is this one: during 20 years [Pink Floyd] has been [David Gilmour's] baby, for that reason he is so obstinate. If we reunited for any reason, I would be delighted to do it. Not a single show, but a series of events that we could do. It would be very satisfactory for me... but I do not believe that Dave wants to do it.”

:hmm:

Lineups were announced for the US and UK today. Even though the US show is ending up right here at Giants Stadium in NJ, this lineup is not exciting me, except for the Pumpkins (I am already seeing the Police in August). As always the UK lineup appeals to me more but not enough to go there... Cut and paste of two press releases:

U.S.A. LIVE EARTH REVEALED

Tickets for the 7/7/07 Concert to Combat Global Warming Go On Sale 4/16

NEW YORK -- Organizers today announced sixteen of the headliners who will perform at the U.S. leg of the 7-continent, 24-hour Live Earth concerts on 7/7/07. The concert will be held at Giants Stadium in New Jersey, Live Earth founder and executive producer Kevin Wall said. Tickets for the show go on sale Monday, April 16 at 10 a.m. EDT. "Capping Live Earth with a blockbuster show like this will ensure we meet our challenge of building a mass audience to combat global warming," Wall said. "Live Earth will be a monumental event both in terms of entertainment and in turning the tide against global warming."

The global concert on 7/7/07 will begin in Sydney and continue across all 7 continents, concluding with the U.S. show.

"We hope the energy created by Live Earth will jump start a massive public education effort," Live Earth co-chair vice president Al Gore said. "Live Earth will help us reach a tipping point that's needed to move corporations and governments to take decisive action to solve the climate crisis."

The U.S. show will feature live on stage:

Kanye West
AFI
Kelly Clarkson
Akon
KT Tunstall
Alicia Keys
Ludacris
Bon Jovi
Sheryl Crow

Melissa Etheridge
Dave Matthews Band
Rihanna
Fall Out Boy
Roger Waters
Smashing Pumpkins
John Mayer
The Police

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. EDT on Monday, April 16 and will be available at livenation.com/liveearth or by calling Ticketmaster at (212) 307-7171. All ticket information is available at LiveEarth.MSN.com. All proceeds will go to The Alliance for Climate Protection and other international NGOs.

LIVE EARTH U.K. UNVEILED

Ticketing for London Leg of 7/7/07 Concerts to Combat Global Warming Begins 4/13

LONDON (10 April 2007) -- Seventeen of the headliners who will play Wembley Stadium in London as part of the 24-hour, 7-continent Live Earth concerts on 7/7/07 were unveiled today by Live Earth founder and executive producer Kevin Wall. Ticketing for the UK concert begins on Friday, April 13.
Live on stage in London will be:

Beastie Boys
Black Eyed Peas
Bloc Party
Corinne Bailey Rae
Damien Rice
David Gray
Duran Duran
Foo Fighters
Genesis

James Blunt
John Legend
Keane
Madonna
Paolo Nutini
Razorlight
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Snow Patrol

Additional performers will be announced at a future date.

In anticipation of overwhelming demand for tickets and to ensure that everyone gets a fair opportunity to participate in Live Earth, and minimize ticket misuse, the event organizers will be allocating ticket sales by ballot. Registration for the opportunity to purchase two tickets per person will be done online. Ticket applicants will also be given information on how they can help combat the global climate crisis.

Free Registration for tickets opens at midday on FRIDAY, 13 APRIL 2007 and Live Earth ticket applicants are asked to register their details at: www.livenation.co.uk/liveearth

Registration opens from midday on Friday 13th April until Monday 16th April at midday. If your application is successful you will be notified how to buy your tickets on Wednesday, 18 April.

ALL TICKETS FOR LONDON WILL BE PRICED AT £55 EACH

So...who's gonna close the US show...Police or Waters?
And I have no clue who would close for UK...I could see Madonna or Genesis, but even Chili Peppers could too...
And if the UK shows are 55 euros, what do you think US tickets will cost?....I guess a lot more.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
And I have no clue who would close for UK...I could see Madonna or Genesis, but even Chili Peppers could too...
And if the UK shows are 55 euros, what do you think US tickets will cost?....I guess a lot more.

The UK tickets are 55 pounds.. which makes them alot more expensive than 55 euros. I'm suprised tickets are going to cost so much - I thought this concert was supposed to be more about awareness (like live 8 was) rather than raising money?

Good heavens, every performer involved in the US concert sucks except for Roger Waters and The Police. :crack: The UK concert is a bit better, but only slightly.

Ifeelnumb84 said:

The Police most likely - Waters by himself doesn't have the same kind of special buzz - he might even end up behind The Smashing Pumpkins as well... Now if he got his old bandmates together once again, that would be different...

Yeah, hard to tell for the UK - could be any of those three.

GibsonGirl said:
Good heavens, every performer involved in the US concert sucks except for Roger Waters and The Police. :crack: The UK concert is a bit better, but only slightly.

No John Mayer or Smashing Pumpkins love? :shrug:

I agree about everyone else though.

I'm still trying to decide whether london or ny, and I'm trying to convince a couple of friends to go also, but I'll be pissed if I go to London and Pink Floyd reunites for the ny gig

mandy1973 said:
Hmmm...wonder who will play the Sydney show.
Not that (being in Adelaide) I'd have a chance to get tickets, but just wondering...

You could get tickets online. And then make the trip to Sydney.

I'm thinking I might do it if a few more good aussie Artists get on the bill. Would be a great day!

Back
Top Bottom