Live 8 DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
I just got the Live 8 DVD for Christmas and was saddened to see 'Unchained Melody' after 'One' was cut off

but did any of you laugh your asses off at Chris Martin's yelps at the end of 'In My Place'?

He sounded like a monkey :lol:

KhanadaRhodes said:
still haven't watched any of the dvd :hmm:

never got a chance to watch live 8 the day it happened either as i was busy that day moving :(

I've only gotten to the end of Coldplay's bit, but his yelpings are comic gold

U2's set was pretty awesome and Bono has an F-bomb edited out in Vertigo

Canadiens1160 said:
Cause nothing says pure RAWK AND ROLL more than Status Quo :wink:

mmmm.... I think the point was that Status Quo opened the original Live Aid...there was lots of press in the UK that they should also open Live 8....Chris Martin was meerley nodding in the direction of this methinks....

Anyway cut the U2 vs Coldplay crap - there both great in the own right... (If you have any doubts go see a Coldplay show - :drool: )

I'm not comparing U2 to Coldplay

I'm just talking about my favorite Live 8 moment so far that just has to do with me laughing at Chris Martin:wink:

I have it, and its incredible how they have edited the thing, not tven the "ehen in london its 2 in the afternoon, we welcome the world to LIVE 8"... or the apoteosic entry of Macca and U2...

and if you recorded the show, you can clearly see that some takes in the DVD were not the originals, also the sound is changed... like in Bon Jovi's LIVING ON A PRAYER, when it happened live, the loudest crowd readction was in that song: the OH, LIVING ON A PRAYER were deafening.. and in the DVD, they were rturned down or at least they increased the ritchie/bryan vocals..

no... it starts with that "world" thing where you go to london, then some aerial shots and sudenly they start playing... I thought that was the intro, then it happened... "U2 & Paul McCartney" appears and I'm like :shocked:

I want to get this, as I didn't get to see much of it, it started at 1am here and I was alseep.

I think I might avoid Elton John and Pete Doherty's version of "Children of the Revolution" though :ohmy: .

LemonMacPhisto said:

but did any of you laugh your asses off at Chris Martin's yelps at the end of 'In My Place'?

I laughed until I cried. :love: The least they could have done was edit it out to spare the boy some grief. But I suppose the DVD editors felt it needed some comic relief.

The only performance worth watching again and again on that DVD is Pink Floyd's. It gives me chills. Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour occupying the same stage for the first time since 1981. :drool:

Re: Re: Live 8 DVD

GibsonGirl said:

I laughed until I cried. :love: The least they could have done was edit it out to spare the boy some grief. But I suppose the DVD editors felt it needed some comic relief.

The only performance worth watching again and again on that DVD is Pink Floyd's. It gives me chills. Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour occupying the same stage for the first time since 1981. :drool:

Hell yeah, "Comfortably Numb" gave me mega chills :drool: . Fantastic :).

pepokiss said:
no... it starts with that "world" thing where you go to london, then some aerial shots and sudenly they start playing... I thought that was the intro, then it happened... "U2 & Paul McCartney" appears and I'm like :shocked:

That is just idiotic.

pepokiss said:
I have it, and its incredible how they have edited the thing, not tven the "ehen in london its 2 in the afternoon, we welcome the world to LIVE 8"... or the apoteosic entry of Macca and U2...

Yes, I also miss the classic intro. :| Its on another clip I recorded however.

Some sound editing is just natural for a DVD release so thats fine with me. The backstage blah is nice to watch. Nice you know. The Floyd rehearsal is more interesting.

Other than that, I can´t find the JoBurg set was released anywhere and that is a heavy mistake.

I'm a fan of the entire dvd... yeah, it's missing some stuff. yeah, some things were edited... but as a record of the incredible performances that day... it's one of the best live dvds I've ever encountered... if only for sheer volume! lol

Some of my favorite bits are

* Annie Lennox singing "Why" :sad:
* Robbie William's entire set
* The Scissor Sisters entire set :drool: ... though editing out "Everybody Wants the Same Thing" was a shame... that's a great song I can't wait to see on the new album!
* Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft doing "Bitter Sweet Symphony" :drool:
* Snoop Dogg -- to me, THIS was comic relief :yes: :heart:

And MacHat... you should definitely indulge in Pete and Elton doing "Children of the Revolution" ... it's so bad it's good! :lol:

hippy said:
And MacHat... you should definitely indulge in Pete and Elton doing "Children of the Revolution" ... it's so bad it's good! :lol:

Pete scares me..........:lol:

I probably will see it at some point, out of morbid curiosity :wink:

Pete isn´t scary at all - he just sucks - actually you can see pretty much talent for ruining a great song on this DVD. I mean, everyone hated that performance because pete was so unprofessional.

Sure there are good performances. salut to Madonna´s dancers :hyper: Snoopy Dogg does a fine set. Same for Annie Lennox. Stevie Wonders set is just fucking incredible.

Coldplay and REM have always bored me and that´s not gonna change anytime soon.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I just got the Live 8 DVD for Christmas and was saddened to see 'Unchained Melody' after 'One' was cut off

He sounded like a monkey :lol:

ONE WAS CUT OFF?

that's the dumbest idea ever...this is Bono's show, the whole One Campaign dealy and whatnot...

^ only the Unchained Melody bit after One was cut off, One was still there, don't worry

lst night I saw the 3rd disc...

and I can clrearly hear when in Pink Floyd were some thigs fixed up, especially for the Roger waters vocals.. he made some up again, I know. I hava CD with the performances and when hearing the DVD I can recognize some things that were not like that, especially some pitching sounds that Waters had mede the day of the show in some lines he sangg and their not on the DVD...

also, in Confortably Numb there was a part where Waters didn't played a note, so for one moment there was no bass... well. in the DVD the bass was there...

things like that are not my favorite at ALL... :no:

also... you know you think this when you see him: "that Paul McCarteny drummer is going to eat the drums or brake them!!!" :yikes:

I've watched parts of this several times already.

I'm so pleased to have it, even though the One speech is cut and other edits must have occurred, even though I missed it the day of, so I have not much to compare most of it to.

The U2 - McCartney set sets the stage, but I'm also
in love with the sets by:

Killers, Scissor Sisters, Sarah McLachlan, REM, Coldplay, Madonna, Pink Floyd, Keane, Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas . . .

The whole Live 8 premise is problematic in terms of what it actually accomplishes socially-politically, but in terms of something as a pop-rap-rock orgy of amazing, this really does it for me.

Anu

Back
Top Bottom