Live - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Mental Jewelry! Thank you! I was racking my brain trying to remember the name of that album.

Back then, Ed had hair.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:45 PM
I LOVE the song "Lakini's Juice". It's actually one of my favorite songs to, ummm. . . ahem . . . . do certain things to.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:45 AM
My fave band until I became a hardcore U2er (2002).

Throwing Copper was my bible in my mid-teens, and it is a masterpiece - Selling The Drama, Iris, Top, Al Over You, Stage, and the ever-brilliant perfect Waitress.

Secret Samadhi, I feel is just as good as Throwing Copper, the lyrical themes of the album seem to match the musical feel of the album perfectly.

Distance To Here is majestic, and some of the instrumentation is beautiful (Face And Ghost, Meltdown, Sparkle)

V is great, cept for a few filler tracks (Nobody Knows, Call Me A Fool. Life experimenting with a new direction. For the most part their 6th and 7th abums sound more like V than their first 4 albums.

Being a hardcore Live fella, I got Birds Of Pray and Songs From Black Mountain pretty muchimmediately. These albums are nothing too remarkable. Kowalczyk seems too content with life to have anything interesting to say. Whilst happy for him, they are kinda tedious now.

Still a few sprinklings of greatness - Life Marches On, Like I Do, Out To Dry, What Are We Fighting For, Sofia, Night Of Nights, the intro to Love Shines (A song for my daughters about God) and the ever-uplifting Sweet Release (Up To Better Times!)
Old 04-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:45 AM
I haven't listened to V in ages, but I'm immediately reminded of the fact that Ed's lyrics often relate to Bono's.

And then of course he sings he dreamt he was on stage with Bono and all these other great artists (Queen, The boss..) , singing Hallelujah in People like you (I had to look that up though)
Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Great group. I saw them last summer in Rotterdam. Did even played a bit of "bad". I've been following them since Throwing Copper. Very energic. Allthought my opinion that the latest 2 albums really suck, their performance are still brilliant.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:45 PM
First 2 albums were amazing, they tried to be a little tongue in cheek with Secret Samadhi and it didn't work. Great live band. Everything after, with the exception of a song here and there, just didn't compare.

Talk about a band that jumped the shark.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Their first two albums were superb, Throwing Copper with hardly a dud on it. I thought Secret Samdhi was average though Lakini's Juice is a fantastic tune. They're playing a show near me on April 13 at their old haunt, The Chameleon Club, in Lancaster, PA. $40. A little too steep having already seen them several times in clubs for a lot less money.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
Local Time: 07:45 PM
Mental Jewelry
Throwing Copper was pretty darn good.
The Distance to Here was eh in my opinion.
Haven't really listened to them too much beyond that.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:45 PM

Back in October of 2001, I had the unique experience of seeing Live and Jane's Addiction perform at the Continental Airlines Arena in New Jersey. Live were great! They had the whole Vegas Lounge Act vibe going. They had couches set up on stage and just chilled out and played. Jane's Addiction were awesome too. Their set was like a sex party. They had women in cages. They had women on stage. Perry Farrell was like the MC of a crazy house party. I had a great time. The arena was only half full, but everyone played like it was a packed house.

I loved Live, but when they started playing more radio friendly pop, I kind of lost interest. If one of their songs comes on the radio, I stop and listen though.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

There's so much good stuff on Throwing Copper!

Waitress
Old 04-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

It's like I'm re-discovering Throwing Copper! What a fantastic album! Okay I admit I only liked the first half for years until a couple of days back when the other songs hit me! They sound like not only U2 but REM especially! Listen to that intro of Top.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Mental Jewelry! Thank you! I was racking my brain trying to remember the name of that album.

Back then, Ed had hair.
Ed without hair.

I saw Live last year.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:45 PM
T.B.D and Stage are great songs and Meltdown from Distance To Here is one of my all time favourite songs. It gives me chills
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think I'm one of the five people who actually owned Mental Jewelry (on cassette, no less) when it first came out. Most people I know didn't buy it until after Throwing Copper made the band huge. I would highly recommend it to people who love Throwing Copper. It has some powerful, beautiful tunes.

Glad to see so much love for Live here. I really adored them back in the day.

Does anyone remember when they played Unplugged? I think I still have it taped on VHS. They played a cover of a song called "Supernatural" that was stunning, but I don't know who did the original or if there's an official recording of their cover anywhere out there. All I remember is that it was superb.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 AM   #30
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
They played a cover of a song called "Supernatural" that was stunning, but I don't know who did the original or if there's an official recording of their cover anywhere out there. All I remember is that it was superb.
The original is by Vic Chesnutt and it's available on the Sweet Relief II compilation album, which is basically a tribute to Vic.