Little Snoring, Norfolk Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, you've passed 25. Come back soon and crack 30. :up:

I'm up for that! :up:

I'm gonna crack open a pepsi max. I've just finished checking on the fog rolling in, the serenity of this one roundabout town (the silence is something, I tell ya) and the cold. It's fucking cold. It's absolutely silent. And I think it's going to hit 0 tonight.

brilliant.

Well, it's cool you got something done, anyway :D

Ooh, how is that book? I haven't picked it up yet...

Yeah, I figure 10 pages is better than nothing.

Children of Hurin is quite good, extremely confusing in the way only Tolkien can be in the beginning, but then the story starts and it makes sense.

Honestly, sometimes reading Tolkien's early chapters (like in the Silmarillion or Children of Hurin) is like reading the Biblical genealogies, except more confusing and without narrative sense.

My name is Alison... I am/was something of a dinosaur nut, no aura references intended! :wink:
(The -saura ending is the feminine equivalent of -saurus, to explain why I'm not Alisaurus...)

Well, it's cool you got something done, anyway :D

Ooh, how is that book? I haven't picked it up yet...

Yay! See, I thought your name was Alison, and the saura part was something to do with dinosaurs, but I'm always wrong on usernames so I figured I was wrong on this too! But I'm not!

More brilliant!
:up:

HE HAS LONG TERM PLANS...?!?!

Hope he's doing ok though, when I left he was on the upswing.

Touche.

Yeah, he seems to be doing better these days, though I tend to think hanging around the Superthreads probably isn't the healthiest idea, given this is where some of the shit went down. It's like ... if I kept having problems in FYM, I'd redirect my energies to EYKIW or whatever, you know? Not just keep returning to the place and expect a different result.

Yay! See, I thought your name was Alison, and the saura part was something to do with dinosaurs, but I'm always wrong on usernames so I figured I was wrong on this too! But I'm not!

More brilliant!
:up:

Wait, sorry, Angela, I don't think I've properly met you. I'm the Maj, real name U-Wen. Melbournite. :wave:

And before I forget, who's U-Wen, and who's writing a book? I' love to write a book. I just need a topic, some skills, and the time.

Easy.
:doh:

Children of Hurin is quite good, extremely confusing in the way only Tolkien can be in the beginning, but then the story starts and it makes sense.

Wait, Tolkien? What's this Children of Hurin? Have I been under a rock?

Touche.

Yeah, he seems to be doing better these days, though I tend to think hanging around the Superthreads probably isn't the healthiest idea, given this is where some of the shit went down. It's like ... if I kept having problems in FYM, I'd redirect my energies to EYKIW or whatever, you know? Not just keep returning to the place and expect a different result.

Yeah, though I guess you can't blame the guy for trying, or for having hope. Although I'm surprised that the Superthreads haven't managed to completely destroy his faith in humanity yet...

I'm up for that! :up:

I'm gonna crack open a pepsi max. I've just finished checking on the fog rolling in, the serenity of this one roundabout town (the silence is something, I tell ya) and the cold. It's fucking cold. It's absolutely silent. And I think it's going to hit 0 tonight.

brilliant.

:jealous:

It was far too fucking warm in Melbourne today. I dressed expecting 10, 11 tops, and got 18. The 7 minute walk from the railway station to the supermarket in the direct sun at 2:30 was not fun. I can't believe I easily broke into a sweat IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER and wasn't even in Queensland.

Wait, Tolkien? What's this Children of Hurin? Have I been under a rock?

Yes, yes you have.

The Children of Húrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Children of Húrin is an epic high fantasy novel which forms the completion of a tale by J. R. R. Tolkien. He wrote the original version of the story in late 1910s, revised it several times later, but did not complete it before his death in 1973. His son, Christopher Tolkien, edited the manuscripts to form a consistent narrative, and published it in 2007 as an independent work.

The_Children_of_Hurin_cover.jpg

hey everyone who said hi

see ax i'm not gonna be very good for pushing into a new thread cause i am distracted by other tasks i have to do on this slow ass internet. like getting the address for the hostel i booked in dubrovnik, right now, before i forget again.

Yes, yes you have.

The Children of Húrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Children of Húrin is an epic high fantasy novel which forms the completion of a tale by J. R. R. Tolkien. He wrote the original version of the story in late 1910s, revised it several times later, but did not complete it before his death in 1973. His son, Christopher Tolkien, edited the manuscripts to form a consistent narrative, and published it in 2007 as an independent work.

The_Children_of_Hurin_cover.jpg

Ooooh THAT. I've seen that at bookshops; I'd just forgotten the title. May have to get a copy/borrow yours once you're done because I'm cheap.

Ooooh THAT. I've seen that at bookshops; I'd just forgotten the title. May have to get a copy/borrow yours once you're done because I'm cheap.

Sure, not a problem. Don't hold your breath about me finishing it anytime soon though.

Hey, was it just me, or did anyone else watch Narnia: Prince Caspian and see it as a thinly disguised allegory about the Crusades and how wonderful militant Christianity is? In fact, the entire Narnia series is like that...

Yeah, I figure 10 pages is better than nothing.

Honestly, sometimes reading Tolkien's early chapters (like in the Silmarillion or Children of Hurin) is like reading the Biblical genealogies, except more confusing and without narrative sense.

That's about what I figured, too.

And Ax, I hope you got a photo of that rock you've been under.

18C... thought it was less bitterly freezing than usual. :up:

*gone*

Yeah, though I guess you can't blame the guy for trying, or for having hope. Although I'm surprised that the Superthreads haven't managed to completely destroy his faith in humanity yet...

Yeah, and a few people excepted, I think most of us don't have a real problem with him and would like to be friends with the guy. I think he just needs to take a break for a bit first and work on things, rather than coming back to the threads the very day after leaving "forever".

I was wondering what was up with that book. I've seen it everywhere, and when I see the cover I half expect it to be a historical fiction set in ancient Greece, but with a somewhat fictional take on the armour by the cover artist. But no dice.

Hey, was it just me, or did anyone else watch Narnia: Prince Caspian and see it as a thinly disguised allegory about the Crusades and how wonderful militant Christianity is? In fact, the entire Narnia series is like that...

The same arguments arose when the first Narnia movie was released. You wouldn't expect this from me but personally I think people should just enjoy the goddamn movie. There are still a lot of people that don't get the Aslan/Christ connection, but it may be more blatant in Prince Caspian.

:jealous:

It was far too fucking warm in Melbourne today. I dressed expecting 10, 11 tops, and got 18. The 7 minute walk from the railway station to the supermarket in the direct sun at 2:30 was not fun. I can't believe I easily broke into a sweat IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER and wasn't even in Queensland.
shut up ax it is 33 right now. grrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom