Little Snoring, Norfolk Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was younger I didn't like beer much and drank wine, basically only wine... to the extent it nearly killed me a couple of times, and now I have trouble revisiting. I expect to return to it when I'm older, because I'm intruiged by its different flavours, it's just that I always get reminded of my brash 16 year old self when I drink it now (white or red, and particularly port which was the first thing I ever got drunk on, at an embarrassingly low age!).

Oh, you have V8 over there? Do they have that Citrus Kick one? I loooove that and often use it to wake me up before I go to tafe. Never thought of it as a hangover cure, but I bet it'd work to an extent.

I guess Schnapps aren't as big a thing here, you can get them of course, but the fact that I'm mentioning one imported directly from Austria must say something. I may try some more, but rarely are they available at pubs or clubs. For trying something new... uh, I've been on an absinthe kick this year, and you might want to go with that. :happy:
Beer just doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd had wine and things like that in my teen years but I'd never actually gotten drunk on them. I've found that wine hangovers particularly suck as I had one within the last year. It lasted two days. Not. Revisiting. Ever. Again. Fuck that. :lol:

Yeah, we have V8, I love it. If you stabbed me, I'd probably bleed V8. :giggle: I'm not really sure, I just drink the plain old V8. I'm not a fan of really citrusy things at all. I can deal with lemonade (the real stuff.) and orange juice, but not like, flavoured stuff like citrus sodas and things like that. I can't say I'm particularly fond of a screwdriver either but I'll take a good bloody mary any day!
It does, it's not like an instant thing or anything, but if you've got one of those hangovers that's accompanied by some bad nausea, oddly enough, it works. I pour a glass of it, add a couple grinds of sea salt to it, stir and drink!

Huh, it must not be. It's not really a big deal here, as in you won't see every one who's drinking, drinking that. But it's easy to find. And it happens to be my favourite stuff (albeit they tend to be quite sweet.). But I do want to do something different, I may just try your suggestion. :D

The Wembley show from the early 90s was on TV tonight, and I tuned in only to see the credits, and saw Garry Gay Beers and I was like HOLY SHIT NO WAY THATS AWESOME and so yeah.
:lol: ahh, i think i know which show you're referring to. if so, i've seen it too.

It's the best one yet because Bono was actually rather good looking in 1986 and he seemed cuddly too (but this is more or less where my Plebanism ends). And I like animals. :cute:
:lol: i know what you mean. and that photo, he looks almost sultry or something. it's weird :lol:

Beer just doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd had wine and things like that in my teen years but I'd never actually gotten drunk on them. I've found that wine hangovers particularly suck as I had one within the last year. It lasted two days. Not. Revisiting. Ever. Again. Fuck that. :lol:

Yeah, we have V8, I love it. If you stabbed me, I'd probably bleed V8. :giggle: I'm not really sure, I just drink the plain old V8. I'm not a fan of really citrusy things at all. I can deal with lemonade (the real stuff.) and orange juice, but not like, flavoured stuff like citrus sodas and things like that. I can't say I'm particularly fond of a screwdriver either but I'll take a good bloody mary any day!
It does, it's not like an instant thing or anything, but if you've got one of those hangovers that's accompanied by some bad nausea, oddly enough, it works. I pour a glass of it, add a couple grinds of sea salt to it, stir and drink!

Huh, it must not be. It's not really a big deal here, as in you won't see every one who's drinking, drinking that. But it's easy to find. And it happens to be my favourite stuff (albeit they tend to be quite sweet.). But I do want to do something different, I may just try your suggestion. :D

Yeah, I dig that. I have put a few people onto beer in my time since I was about 17, but a lot of younger people in Australia still prefer to drink pre-mixed spirits drinks. They've become a big problem with Australian youth, however. I enjoyed them when I was younger to some extent, but not at all now.

I think I'll have to try that, but hopefully not tomorrow. :lol: Yeah, I think it would work for me. I personally love citrusy stuff, but the Citrus Kick V8 contains carrot and other vegetables as well as straight orange juice, so it's not too overpowering.

This is cool, I've actually never met someone who loves schnapps more than any other alcoholic drink. Seriously. :up: You know, as someone who often takes boutique Belgian beers to parties where everyone else is drinking the Australian equivalent of Budweiser, I often feel a bit lonely when it comes to drinks. But yeah, that is awesome.

Absinthe is usually very high percentage, generally 55% at the very, very lowest. It's an anise flavoured herb spirit, and its thujone content can create a slightly more reflective experience than just any other spirit. I personally really love it.

:lol: ahh, i think i know which show you're referring to. if so, i've seen it too.

:lol: i know what you mean. and that photo, he looks almost sultry or something. it's weird :lol:

I'm not a huge fan of INXS, they get played a lot on the radio here, but being Australian and all I've grown up with a lot of their songs, plus Michael Hutchence was also a pretty good looking guy back then. :cute: My favourite song of theirs wasn't really a hit though, it's The Gift.

I mentioned before it looked like he was tempted to lose purity points to the mule/whateverI'mnoexpertonthissortofthing. I don't think I seriously think that but I wouldn't be surprised if someone would (probably Jen).

I also got Doolittle by Pixies. Anyone have thoughts on that album?

I just picked up a used copy of that as well! There's loads of good stuff on it, and I know it's widely considered their best album and a classic in the hallowed halls of alternative music.

Overrated, but I love Debaser, Hey, and Monkey Gone to Heaven, and have respect for some other tracks on it. But my favourite Pixies albums are Bossanova and Trompe le Monde (hell, my screen name is from a track from Trompe le Monde), which makes me a very rare breed of Pixies fan.

I grew up on the Pixies though, so my opinion is sort of developed a little differently, over time and over certain memories in a lot of cases.

For a really long time, my favorite Pixies song was their cover of "Head On" by the Jesus and Mary Chain.

I like Bossanova a lot - Velouria is one of my favorites.

For a really long time, my favorite Pixies song was their cover of "Head On" by the Jesus and Mary Chain.

I like Bossanova a lot - Velouria is one of my favorites.

I agree, that's a really good cover. :up: Think it's one of those rare ones I enjoy more than the original.

Velouria, All Over the World, Dig For Fire and the Happening are all some of my favourite Pixies songs. The second one there in particular. It's their longest studio track, but I absolutely adore it.

Yeah, I dig that. I have put a few people onto beer in my time since I was about 17, but a lot of younger people in Australia still prefer to drink pre-mixed spirits drinks. They've become a big problem with Australian youth, however. I enjoyed them when I was younger to some extent, but not at all now.

I think I'll have to try that, but hopefully not tomorrow. :lol: Yeah, I think it would work for me. I personally love citrusy stuff, but the Citrus Kick V8 contains carrot and other vegetables as well as straight orange juice, so it's not too overpowering.

This is cool, I've actually never met someone who loves schnapps more than any other alcoholic drink. Seriously. :up: You know, as someone who often takes boutique Belgian beers to parties where everyone else is drinking the Australian equivalent of Budweiser, I often feel a bit lonely when it comes to drinks. But yeah, that is awesome.

Absinthe is usually very high percentage, generally 55% at the very, very lowest. It's an anise flavoured herb spirit, and its thujone content can create a slightly more reflective experience than just any other spirit. I personally really love it.
That's definitely never a good thing. Most of the younger people here drink beer and the people who are closer to 25-35 drink the stronger stuff. Strange how that works. I prefer the stronger stuff because I tend to be one who gets filled up easily by liquids, so when I get too much in me, I often wind up feeling very miserable. Not only that, but I prefer the taste. :up:

It's a good remedy, I've found. My friend taught me about it the time I had the bad cinnamon schnapps hangover. We were all drinking this big bottle of it before 7 pm and we were doing the shots rather quickly. So by the time 8:30 pm had rolled around, I went and passed out in my room. I woke up at 1:30 in the morning, wondering how I'd gotten upstairs. My computer was still on (and I do believe I was logged in here.) I was still half drunk too. :lmao:
But the next morning was horrible. Which is when I learned about the V8 trick and it really helped my upset stomach and made me feel a bit better because it puts those vitamins back in your body.

:yes: I love schnapps very much. I tend to prefer it because it's easy to drink, has a very good flavour and I don't usually wind up hungover very often and when I do, it's never very bad. (The cinnamon schnapps happened to be 80 proof.) But I am also growing quite fond of spiced rum too.

I think I am going to look into that for this weekend to find out whether or not that's what I want. Sounds pretty awesome to me. :D

I'm not a huge fan of INXS, they get played a lot on the radio here, but being Australian and all I've grown up with a lot of their songs, plus Michael Hutchence was also a pretty good looking guy back then. :cute: My favourite song of theirs wasn't really a hit though, it's The Gift.

I mentioned before it looked like he was tempted to lose purity points to the mule/whateverI'mnoexpertonthissortofthing. I don't think I seriously think that but I wouldn't be surprised if someone would (probably Jen).
hehe, i love inxs! i used to be a huuuuuuuge fan and played their music way too much. the gift is a good tune :up:

haha, you're right on both counts! i can picture jen doing that to try to get her score down to 0 :tsk:

I'm not a big beer fan but will occasionally drink something on the lighter side. Sometimes a shitty beer like Bud or Miller hits the spot when I'm out carousing with friends and I need to slow down after a few "real" drinks. The only sort of "real" beer I'll drink is Hefeweizen, because it's lighter.

I really like cider ale, and will drink that if it's available, but usually will drink some sort of liquor mixed drink.

I'm not a big beer fan but will occasionally drink something on the lighter side. Sometimes a shitty beer like Bud or Miller hits the spot when I'm out carousing with friends and I need to slow down after a few "real" drinks. The only sort of "real" beer I'll drink is Hefeweizen, because it's lighter.

I really like cider ale, and will drink that if it's available, but usually will drink some sort of liquor mixed drink.
I never really saw what people got out of drinking beers like Miller or Bud other than frequent visits to the loo!

Ooh, that sounds good. I bought some butterscotch schnapps last year when I read that people were making the Harry Potter drink "butterbeer" by mixing the schnapps with cream soda or tonic water. It was pretty tasty.

I also have some Bailey's, but it's caramel Bailey's. I wonder how that would be. I think it's too early to find out. :wink:

I never really saw what people got out of drinking beers like Miller or Bud other than frequent visits to the loo!

Oh, I can get buzzed on one or two of those. I know the "real" beers will get you hammered, but I just can't stand the taste.

I absolutely love that album. :up:

So I ditched seeing my Drama buddies' performance of Grease today after seeing it two nights in a row. It was bad, very very bad.

Only con: I may not see the lady friend before she leaves on a her week-long trip to London. Do you guys know how to get a passport?

Ooh, that sounds good. I bought some butterscotch schnapps last year when I read that people were making the Harry Potter drink "butterbeer" by mixing the schnapps with cream soda or tonic water. It was pretty tasty.

I also have some Bailey's, but it's caramel Bailey's. I wonder how that would be. I think it's too early to find out. :wink:
i've had it with regular bailey's and the caramel kind, i kinda prefer it with caramel :hmm:

Seriously. The smell and the taste is HORRIBLE. I have no idea how people can stand to drink them, I really don't.

I have a theory about this sort of thing, and, it might be a tad radical, but, this is how I see it:

Different people find different things to be enjoyable. For example, some people on this forum enjoy Coldplay. Some do not. Some people like Coors Light or Miller Light, some people do not. Stay with me people.....

In the case of the beer, it could have to do with everyone having different sets of taste buds, and so what is pleasing to one person could taste like a can of piss to another. It also could revolve around what one is used to as well. If you grow up eating lox and continue to eat lox as an adult, that could explain why you like lox, whereas someone that tries lox for the first time at age 27, with a fully formed palate, might puke upon smelling the lox, let alone tasting it. Same with the music....one person could find true joy in, let's say, Bluegrass, while another might favor Death Metal.

So, to sum up, my theory is that everyone has different tastes, be it due to genetics, physiology, habit, nature, nurture, etc.....and that is a good thing, it keeps us from being sad little clones of one another.

:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom