Little Snoring, Norfolk Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose they would have to revive the long-disused Mars to Jupiter line. That asteroid belt made things a bit tricky, though.

*waits for the Uranus joke*

Now there'd be one hell of an engineering feat.

Haven't Uranus jokes gotten old? No, I suppose they probably never will.

*downloading Boston 9/6/01*

Elevation Tour. :tsk:

Though that is one of the better shows, so good choice.

Where did the quote go? And why did that take so long?

Something made me think of Milo Kerrigan today. God, that used to crack my mother and I up. :lol:

Huh, the forum always seems to hiccup like that around this time of day.

And I've no idea who that is.

Our first-year lecturer for Earth Science (in which we would also learn about the basics of astronomy and the other planets in this system) told us that she deliberately pronounced it as "YOO-rannus" rather than "yur-AIN-us", to try to avoid said jokes. Apparently she had only limited success. I imagine the dimmer students probably didn't realise what planet she was talking about.

Elevation Tour. :tsk:

Though that is one of the better shows, so good choice.
I probably got the recommendation from you anyway. *L* I just noticed a glaring hole in my bootleg collection (although I'm also missing War and October shows), and my OCD demanded that I fill it from my list of bootlegs that I one day intend to download. I already got London 21/8/01, and Paris 17/7/01 is on the list still.

And I've no idea who that is.
One of Shaun Micallef's characters... he has this Rowan Atkinsonesque ability to make himself almost unrecognisable, as Milo. He's possibly the stupidest persona I've seen on TV... failed boxer, utterly incomprehensible, and completely unco-ordinated.
Can't be bothered searching You Tube...

(Edit: Bonnie did it for me :D)

Our first-year lecturer for Earth Science (in which we would also learn about the basics of astronomy and the other planets in this system) told us that she deliberately pronounced it as "YOO-rannus" rather than "yur-AIN-us", to try to avoid said jokes. Apparently she had only limited success. I imagine the dimmer students probably didn't realise what planet she was talking about.

:lol: I know I've seen a couple of documentaries on TV where the narrator's pronounced it somewhat differently too. I think it fails to achieve its purpose, since as you say it would confuse the dimmer sorts, while for the rest of us, it just reminds us of the joke in the first place.

I actually pronounce it as "oah-rann-oss" because that's how I pronounce the Greek titan name. :uhoh:

I probably got the recommendation from you anyway. *L* I just noticed a glaring hole in my bootleg collection (although I'm also missing War and October shows), and my OCD demanded that I fill it from my list of bootlegs that I one day intend to download. I already got London 21/8/01, and Paris 17/7/01 is on the list still.

Ahh, right. If you want to get something from Elevation's third leg too, probably the most worthwhile shows are the first (10 October 2001, Notre Dame) and the last (2 December 2001, Miami). Most of that leg is shockingly samey, but those two stand out. Notre Dame's setlist is rather unique, while the Miami show is quite relaxed and fun.

And War and October have plenty of awesome gigs. :drool:

He's possibly the stupidest persona I've seen on TV... failed boxer, utterly incomprehensible, and completely unco-ordinated.

I see what you mean after watching that video of Bonnie's! :lol:

Yes, of course I've heard of Micallef.

And that's just fucking hilarious! :lmao:

Wasn't sure if he was famous in NZ or if you'd picked up on his reputation, but yeah, makes sense that you'd know him. Sometimes you act like you've only been in Australia for a day, so I hope you can understand that. :wink:

You should watch some Roger Explosion, too... fuck, I loved that.

Wasn't sure if he was famous in NZ or if you'd picked up on his reputation, but yeah, makes sense that you'd know him. Sometimes you act like you've only been in Australia for a day, so I hope you can understand that. :wink:

You should watch some Roger Explosion, too... fuck, I loved that.

He probably isn't known in New Zealand, but I've been here long enough to know who he is. Alas, my friends up in Queensland were cretins who did a shit job introducing me to ... well, anything.

And I'm glad I still seem like a Kiwi sometimes. :wink:

Such as? (since I've got my pen out... ) :wink:

October: 13 December 1981, Lido Beach was the first boot I ever owned. 11 February 1982, New Orleans and 17 March 1982, New York are also good. 4 November 1981, Berlin comes highly recommended - not only is the sound quality great, but it has a rare triple solo 11OTT. It's one of the DVDs I'll burn for you; an absolute gem for sure.

War: For the Pre-War leg, you can't go past the quality of 6 December 1982, London. For the tour proper, 26 February 1983, Dundee just for the sheer setlist WTFery, and 6 May 1983, Boston for being a quality show. 20 August 1983, Loreley is also an interesting one from the festivals run, and soundboard quality audio to boot (a few UABRS tracks came from it). I'd also recommend 5 June 1983, Red Rocks, but it looks like we're about to get the whole thing officially anyway.

Should be enough to start you off.

October: 13 December 1981, Lido Beach was the first boot I ever owned. 11 February 1982, New Orleans and 17 March 1982, New York are also good. 4 November 1981, Berlin comes highly recommended - not only is the sound quality great, but it has a rare triple solo 11OTT. It's one of the DVDs I'll burn for you; an absolute gem for sure.

War: For the Pre-War leg, you can't go past the quality of 6 December 1982, London. For the tour proper, 26 February 1983, Dundee just for the sheer setlist WTFery, and 6 May 1983, Boston for being a quality show. 20 August 1983, Loreley is also an interesting one from the festivals run, and soundboard quality audio to boot (a few UABRS tracks came from it). I'd also recommend 5 June 1983, Red Rocks, but it looks like we're about to get the whole thing officially anyway.

Should be enough to start you off.

*scribbles*

Awesome, thanks! :D

I remember thinking that the audience sounded like it had a German accent when I'd listen to 40 from UABRS.

*scribbles*

Awesome, thanks! :D

I remember thinking that the audience sounded like it had a German accent when I'd listen to 40 from UABRS.

Hah, yeah. The majority of UABRS is from the Loreley gig, actually. Gloria and Party Girl are from Red Rocks, 11OTT is from 6 May 1983, Boston (you'll be surprised how much better 11OTT sounds on the bootleg of that show), and the rest is Loreley.

Edit: Hey, post 56543! That's ... vaguely neat? Sorta? Well, should hit 56765 and 56789 tomorrow or Tuesday sometime.

also, i'm listening to an album called "The Midnight Organ Fight" by Frightened Rabbit, it's excellent. if you have the means, i highly recommend picking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom