Little Snoring, Norfolk Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just usually don't like music that is or at least sounds overly sunny. There are, of course, exceptions. But I find a lot of pop music comes across as far too contrived and insincere. The more pop-y a song, the more I think "you're having me on to make a quick buck". There is a great Steven Wilson quote that, to paraphrase, basically says "I prefer melancholic music because it is a shared experience and thus quite uplifting; music that is artificially happy is in fact depressing". Funny you say that Pet Sounds is more an adult record, since I am having trouble getting past the idea of songs like Sloop John B being kids' songs. Though once I get past that, it's a surprisingly enjoyable track. I preferred it to God Only Knows, which I know is massively loved but that doesn't do a terrible lot for me.

Yeah, I absolutely understand that quote, and it applies to a lot, an absolute massive amount of music, for sure. But I don't think anything on Pet Sounds comes under that. I think it's melancholic, but not blatantly.

Sloop John B wasn't a favourite of mine at first, but I've grown to respect it knowing the history of the song (it's essentially a cover). I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is probably the real stand out track for me, moreso than God Only Knows (which I also absolutely adore, even if only for the honesty of the first lyric).

But my favourite Beach Boys songs actually come later. And though I certainly like it, Good Vibrations isn't actually one of my very favourites, not even close, so don't worry about predictability here.

Anna! Don't normally see you at this time! :wave:

I fucking LOVE the signature. :lol:

Yeah, I absolutely understand that quote, and it applies to a lot, an absolute massive amount of music, for sure. But I don't think anything on Pet Sounds comes under that. I think it's melancholic, but not blatantly.

Sloop John B wasn't a favourite of mine at first, but I've grown to respect it knowing the history of the song (it's essentially a cover). I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is probably the real stand out track for me, moreso than God Only Knows (which I also absolutely adore, even if only for the honesty of the first lyric).

But my favourite Beach Boys songs actually come later. And though I certainly like it, Good Vibrations isn't actually one of my very favourites, not even close, so don't worry about predictability here.

You may be surprised - I sure am - but I'm actually finding myself enjoying this part of the album. Not massively loving it yet, but there's some good stuff here, and certainly it's well-written. I think I've enjoyed Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times the most, and the instrumentals are great. It is hard to get past some of my skepticism, suspicions of insincerity behind the meticulous songcraft and harmonies.

But yeah, maybe I enjoy this more than I would initially expect.

Hi Bonnie! I have to confess I don't get the Roos thing anymore either. I think I fiddled with him once because of something he or the team did, and then it just grew.

:hmm:

Depends what part of New Zealand, really, though it is generally a maritime climate and there's a good deal of rain about in many areas. I'd say it's more unpredictable than rainy, though. Unless you're in the West Coast region of the South Island, which isn't known as the Wet Coast for nothing! :lol:

I'd consider my place clean in the sense you won't find food scraps or genuine rubbish like discarded plastic or wrapping or anything like that. However, it sometimes (as is the case now) gets a chaotic look because I simply have so many books and papers and they get scattered about. I know what you mean about keeping high school stuff too; I still have some of my work, and had a hard time throwing out some more when I moved to Melbourne and really couldn't cart all of it with me.
Ahhh. Ohio (Or Ohioi.) is unpredictable. We have a saying here. "Don't the like the weather? Wait 5 minutes.". And for the most part, it holds true! We have some seriously fucked up weather.
Winter of 2006, it never went below 70F until AFTER Christmas. Then we ended up with a shitload of snow around Valentine's Day, then again around Easter - when normally, it's beginning to warm up around there. Then it can go from chilly at nights to ridiculously hot. :madspit: Back in September of 2006, we had nothing but 100F+ weather for nearly two weeks. Never went below 80F at night time. It was horrible. And it gets bitter cold in the winter!

Yeah, that's pretty much what my bedroom looks like. Occasionally I will get into fits when I will straighten it out to an excessive point that I have to have everything in a specific order, etc. That can be fun. Usually happens when I get a cleaning bug up my arse.
Well, at least I'm not the only one who still has school work being out of school for 3 years now! :lol:

hey Axver, do you like Shivaree? Dunno why I'm asking this.

No idea what Shivaree is, I'm afraid.

And you're off as soon as you've arrived? Boo! You should spend some more time around here one day! Well, have a good one! :wave:

Shivaree are a band. I guess I asked because you said above somewhere that you don't like sunny music and Shivaree aren't sunny. They're more a smokey bar, with 3 regular patrons and some dimly lit stage with a female singer and one sad looking band member behind her. Actually, I don't know what the band look like, but that is what their sound looks like (in my mind!).

I should spend time on here more. I would, if I could. Alas, little people have it in for me. I'm only up tonight because I had to dry clothes. As you do, at 2am...
:lol:

You may be surprised - I sure am - but I'm actually finding myself enjoying this part of the album. Not massively loving it yet, but there's some good stuff here, and certainly it's well-written. I think I've enjoyed Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times the most, and the instrumentals are great. It is hard to get past some of my skepticism, suspicions of insincerity behind the meticulous songcraft and harmonies.

But yeah, maybe I enjoy this more than I would initially expect.

Hey, that's awesome. :up: I hope this means at least two and a half stars!

Hey, anytime. :hug:

I understand it will be a long journey. Just remember though, we're here for you all the way.
I really appreciate that, thank you. I will remember that. :hug:

I've no idea what ZC thread you mean since I never look in ZC (though now I'm thinking maybe I should go see what you're referring to), but yeah, I second the general sentiment. Serena, I've really liked you being around the threads the last few days, it's been nice. :)
Thank you. It's been fun being here, I like this thread a lot! And I'm sure you'll be seeing me more as I try to get out of my general shyness. :)

Ahhh. Ohio (Or Ohioi.) is unpredictable. We have a saying here. "Don't the like the weather? Wait 5 minutes.". And for the most part, it holds true! We have some seriously fucked up weather.
Winter of 2006, it never went below 70F until AFTER Christmas. Then we ended up with a shitload of snow around Valentine's Day, then again around Easter - when normally, it's beginning to warm up around there. Then it can go from chilly at nights to ridiculously hot. :madspit: Back in September of 2006, we had nothing but 100F+ weather for nearly two weeks. Never went below 80F at night time. It was horrible. And it gets bitter cold in the winter!

Yeah, that's pretty much what my bedroom looks like. Occasionally I will get into fits when I will straighten it out to an excessive point that I have to have everything in a specific order, etc. That can be fun. Usually happens when I get a cleaning bug up my arse.
Well, at least I'm not the only one who still has school work being out of school for 3 years now! :lol:

Hah, yeah, I know what that sort of unpredictable weather can be like. Are you familiar with the Crowded House song Four Seasons In One Day? That was written about Melbourne, but it could just about be about most of New Zealand too (and Neil Finn's a Kiwi anyway). I love it when I'll go to a lecture and it's brilliantly sunny and warm, walk outside into driving rain, go into another lecture, and come out to a reasonably cool, dry evening.

Occasionally, if I get frustrated with my inability to find something I need urgently or just little things build up, I'll go on a cleaning frenzy and set everything right. But soon, a few papers get strewn about, some books go out of place, a pile of something slides onto its side ... and before you know it, the place looks like a tornado hit it again. I'm convinced I have the nerdiest mess ever. Right now, the mess on my coffee table includes two Honours theses, a book of essays about explorers in early New Zealand, Leo Tolstoy's War And Peace, and the deluxe edition of the remastered Joshua Tree. :lol:

I really appreciate that, thank you. I will remember that. :hug:

Thank you. It's been fun being here, I like this thread a lot! And I'm sure you'll be seeing me more as I try to get out of my general shyness. :)

As said, while I don't know exactly how you feel (we are unique, after all), I have been where you are, and I would do anything in my power to prevent it happening to someone else. :)

In regards to this... well, I had only a 100 posts up until early 2007 (most made initially as I joined up, as I had no cares for U2 during 2006) so yeah, even on a forum I can understand the shyness thing. No worries, I think you'll pick up pretty well in the superthread!

Shivaree are a band. I guess I asked because you said above somewhere that you don't like sunny music and Shivaree aren't sunny. They're more a smokey bar, with 3 regular patrons and some dimly lit stage with a female singer and one sad looking band member behind her. Actually, I don't know what the band look like, but that is what their sound looks like (in my mind!).

I should spend time on here more. I would, if I could. Alas, little people have it in for me. I'm only up tonight because I had to dry clothes. As you do, at 2am...
:lol:

Ah, right. I'm on a huge new music kick right now, so anything I don't know is of interest right now.

Ha, of course. I find the early hours to be a surprisingly productive time, myself. You wouldn't believe how many loads of washing I've done and batches of muffins I've baked between the hours of midnight and 2am!

Oh yeah, a big welcome from me, too, serena, even though I just barged into these threads myself a few weeks back. :lol:

I'm Anna, by the way. Nice to see you here!
:wave:

And a hug re: your zc. I read it earlier but didn't know what to say really. I went through something like it once, but I don't know if I can say anything useful. There's lots of people here if you need to chat or vent or just be distracted.
:hug:

Hah, yeah, I know what that sort of unpredictable weather can be like. Are you familiar with the Crowded House song Four Seasons In One Day? That was written about Melbourne, but it could just about be about most of New Zealand too (and Neil Finn's a Kiwi anyway). I love it when I'll go to a lecture and it's brilliantly sunny and warm, walk outside into driving rain, go into another lecture, and come out to a reasonably cool, dry evening.

Occasionally, if I get frustrated with my inability to find something I need urgently or just little things build up, I'll go on a cleaning frenzy and set everything right. But soon, a few papers get strewn about, some books go out of place, a pile of something slides onto its side ... and before you know it, the place looks like a tornado hit it again. I'm convinced I have the nerdiest mess ever. Right now, the mess on my coffee table includes two Honours theses, a book of essays about explorers in early New Zealand, Leo Tolstoy's War And Peace, and the deluxe edition of the remastered Joshua Tree. :lol:
No, I'm not. But I'm willing to get acquainted!
Definitely does sound like our weather. I had Jury Duty two weeks ago and when I first went in, it was raining, chilly and nasty outside. When I got back out (4 hours later.), it was sunny, warm and nice outside. Then later that evening it stated storming. Fun stuff right there. Weather does fascinate me though, I like to sit and watch a storm (as long as the lightning and thunder isn't to severe! Then I go running for my life. :yikes:) and in general, it interests me how climates work. Maybe that's why I like The Day After Tomorrow so much. :hmm:

That's how I get sometimes. I couldn't find my tv remote for the longest time and I didn't really care because really, what was it to get up, walk two feet and change the channel? But then one day I got all pissed off 'cause I couldn't find it, tore the room apart looking for it and straightened up the entire room. Takes next to nothing to make it look like I've gone through everything searching for something because usually, that's what happens!

Axver I would also highly recommend John Lennon for all your needs

-

Shyness? Guess I shall make my way to ZC then. I know about shyness all too well. I'm cripplingly shy, as a matter of fact, despite appearances to the contrary. Once I settle in somewhere and make friends, then I talk my arse off, as I think the Superthreads prove, but it's the initial step that kills me. Most people would never guess from my personality either. I'm a debater, I'm vocal and strong in my opinions, etc. But ... well, you know how most people are terrified of public speaking? Personally, I've no problems with debating in front of large audiences, I'm not even conscious of them, but if you asked me to mingle with said audience, I'd find an excuse to run the other way and hide in a library.

I've been trying to do something about this since things with my ex-girlfriend completely fell apart at the start of this year, and I think I've made some rather good progress. I've observed a few times that I find it hilarious that my greatest bout of posting online, i.e. in the Superthreads, has coincided with me having the most active offline social life I've ever had.

I guess I'm just relating this to say you're not alone at all, and amongst some people here who "get it".

Axver, go for some more David Bowie. I highly recommend the album Space Oddity.

You would. :wink:

No, I definitely intend to give that a whirl.

Edit: Just saw your last post. Sweet, thanks.

Last edited:
As said, while I don't know exactly how you feel (we are unique, after all), I have been where you are, and I would do anything in my power to prevent it happening to someone else. :)

In regards to this... well, I had only a 100 posts up until early 2007 (most made initially as I joined up, as I had no cares for U2 during 2006) so yeah, even on a forum I can understand the shyness thing. No worries, I think you'll pick up pretty well in the superthread!
I feel that way even though I have just hit one of the lower points. A lot of the time when someone else is feeling really shitty, I do whatever I can to prevent it or help it and usually don't wind up giving a damn about myself. Probably where my downfall is, since you've got to take care of yourself before you can help another.

I've been an off and on fan since childhood. When Bomb first came out, U2 wasn't exactly on my list of favourite bands, I was pretty annoyed by them, actually. I ended up rediscovering my love for them through seeing them perform with Green Day at the Superdome. When I first joined a few months after that, I had a had time feeling comfortable. Probably because I'm young yet. I'm not really sure. But I felt kinda outta place. I missed a lot in the U2 realm having not had internet access until the Vertigo era anyway and not even being interested until late 2006. So a lot of the time, I've no idea what people are on about!

But ... well, you know how most people are terrified of public speaking? Personally, I've no problems with debating in front of large audiences, I'm not even conscious of them, but if you asked me to mingle with said audience, I'd find an excuse to run the other way and hide in a library.

I guess I'm just relating this to say you're not alone at all, and amongst some people here who "get it".

Hah, this actually applies to me too. I love getting up somewhere and performing or talking to the masses, but in a small group, not so much. I'm more of an observer in those cases. I try to change this but I just like paying attention to people and hear what they have to say, because I think I don't have as much to say, or if I do I'll try and say it in fewer words.

Also Ax, you were doing much talking the night I saw you, not at all shy... whether this had anything to do with the wine, sir, or not, I'm not sure. :wink:

Oh yeah, a big welcome from me, too, serena, even though I just barged into these threads myself a few weeks back. :lol:

I'm Anna, by the way. Nice to see you here!
:wave:

And a hug re: your zc. I read it earlier but didn't know what to say really. I went through something like it once, but I don't know if I can say anything useful. There's lots of people here if you need to chat or vent or just be distracted.
:hug:
Nice to meet you Anna! Thanks for the welcome. :wave: :hug:

It's alright, just knowing people are there for me helps tremendously. Thank you for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom