Little Snoring, Norfolk Superthread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I just usually don't like music that is or at least sounds overly sunny. There are, of course, exceptions. But I find a lot of pop music comes across as far too contrived and insincere. The more pop-y a song, the more I think "you're having me on to make a quick buck". There is a great Steven Wilson quote that, to paraphrase, basically says "I prefer melancholic music because it is a shared experience and thus quite uplifting; music that is artificially happy is in fact depressing". Funny you say that Pet Sounds is more an adult record, since I am having trouble getting past the idea of songs like Sloop John B being kids' songs. Though once I get past that, it's a surprisingly enjoyable track. I preferred it to God Only Knows, which I know is massively loved but that doesn't do a terrible lot for me.
Yeah, I absolutely understand that quote, and it applies to a lot, an absolute massive amount of music, for sure. But I don't think anything on Pet Sounds comes under that. I think it's melancholic, but not blatantly.

Sloop John B wasn't a favourite of mine at first, but I've grown to respect it knowing the history of the song (it's essentially a cover). I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is probably the real stand out track for me, moreso than God Only Knows (which I also absolutely adore, even if only for the honesty of the first lyric).

But my favourite Beach Boys songs actually come later. And though I certainly like it, Good Vibrations isn't actually one of my very favourites, not even close, so don't worry about predictability here.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #152
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Anna! Don't normally see you at this time!

I fucking LOVE the signature.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #153
Jesus Online

Holy shit, it's 2am. Hello and goodnight, my stinky friends. Love your work, guys.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Vox View Post
Thank you.
That means so much.

I am working on it. It's gonna be a long road, I know. But I'm not giving up.
Hey, anytime.

I understand it will be a long journey. Just remember though, we're here for you all the way.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #155
Jesus Online

Quote:
Anna! Don't normally see you at this time!

Ax!! It's like the old days for me being up this late

Glad you love Thomas!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
saw this coming

I never actually understood the recurring thing with your Roos sig, Angela, but I enjoy it muchly all the same.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #157
Jesus Online

hey Axver, do you like Shivaree? Dunno why I'm asking this.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #158
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Yeah, I absolutely understand that quote, and it applies to a lot, an absolute massive amount of music, for sure. But I don't think anything on Pet Sounds comes under that. I think it's melancholic, but not blatantly.

Sloop John B wasn't a favourite of mine at first, but I've grown to respect it knowing the history of the song (it's essentially a cover). I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is probably the real stand out track for me, moreso than God Only Knows (which I also absolutely adore, even if only for the honesty of the first lyric).

But my favourite Beach Boys songs actually come later. And though I certainly like it, Good Vibrations isn't actually one of my very favourites, not even close, so don't worry about predictability here.
You may be surprised - I sure am - but I'm actually finding myself enjoying this part of the album. Not massively loving it yet, but there's some good stuff here, and certainly it's well-written. I think I've enjoyed Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times the most, and the instrumentals are great. It is hard to get past some of my skepticism, suspicions of insincerity behind the meticulous songcraft and harmonies.

But yeah, maybe I enjoy this more than I would initially expect.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #159
Jesus Online

Hi Bonnie! I have to confess I don't get the Roos thing anymore either. I think I fiddled with him once because of something he or the team did, and then it just grew.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:06 AM
Quote:
Depends what part of New Zealand, really, though it is generally a maritime climate and there's a good deal of rain about in many areas. I'd say it's more unpredictable than rainy, though. Unless you're in the West Coast region of the South Island, which isn't known as the Wet Coast for nothing!

I'd consider my place clean in the sense you won't find food scraps or genuine rubbish like discarded plastic or wrapping or anything like that. However, it sometimes (as is the case now) gets a chaotic look because I simply have so many books and papers and they get scattered about. I know what you mean about keeping high school stuff too; I still have some of my work, and had a hard time throwing out some more when I moved to Melbourne and really couldn't cart all of it with me.
Ahhh. Ohio (Or Ohioi.) is unpredictable. We have a saying here. "Don't the like the weather? Wait 5 minutes.". And for the most part, it holds true! We have some seriously fucked up weather.
Winter of 2006, it never went below 70F until AFTER Christmas. Then we ended up with a shitload of snow around Valentine's Day, then again around Easter - when normally, it's beginning to warm up around there. Then it can go from chilly at nights to ridiculously hot. Back in September of 2006, we had nothing but 100F+ weather for nearly two weeks. Never went below 80F at night time. It was horrible. And it gets bitter cold in the winter!

Yeah, that's pretty much what my bedroom looks like. Occasionally I will get into fits when I will straighten it out to an excessive point that I have to have everything in a specific order, etc. That can be fun. Usually happens when I get a cleaning bug up my arse.
Well, at least I'm not the only one who still has school work being out of school for 3 years now!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #161
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
hey Axver, do you like Shivaree? Dunno why I'm asking this.
No idea what Shivaree is, I'm afraid.

And you're off as soon as you've arrived? Boo! You should spend some more time around here one day! Well, have a good one!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #162
Jesus Online

Shivaree are a band. I guess I asked because you said above somewhere that you don't like sunny music and Shivaree aren't sunny. They're more a smokey bar, with 3 regular patrons and some dimly lit stage with a female singer and one sad looking band member behind her. Actually, I don't know what the band look like, but that is what their sound looks like (in my mind!).

I should spend time on here more. I would, if I could. Alas, little people have it in for me. I'm only up tonight because I had to dry clothes. As you do, at 2am...
Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
You may be surprised - I sure am - but I'm actually finding myself enjoying this part of the album. Not massively loving it yet, but there's some good stuff here, and certainly it's well-written. I think I've enjoyed Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times the most, and the instrumentals are great. It is hard to get past some of my skepticism, suspicions of insincerity behind the meticulous songcraft and harmonies.

But yeah, maybe I enjoy this more than I would initially expect.
Hey, that's awesome. I hope this means at least two and a half stars!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Hi Bonnie! I have to confess I don't get the Roos thing anymore either. I think I fiddled with him once because of something he or the team did, and then it just grew.

Yeah, I dig... that happens.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Hey, anytime.

I understand it will be a long journey. Just remember though, we're here for you all the way.
I really appreciate that, thank you. I will remember that.

Quote:
I've no idea what ZC thread you mean since I never look in ZC (though now I'm thinking maybe I should go see what you're referring to), but yeah, I second the general sentiment. Serena, I've really liked you being around the threads the last few days, it's been nice.
Thank you. It's been fun being here, I like this thread a lot! And I'm sure you'll be seeing me more as I try to get out of my general shyness.

Tags
superthread