Little Snoring, Norfolk Superthread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #136
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hey Bonnie, just how much longer do you plan to be up?

Because I'm surfing around on my external hard drive for some music to play and I'm feeling up for a bit more of my patented musical opinion blasphemy.
My dad came to me an hour ago and I said I'd be in bed by 1, but I really don't want to be. But I don't want to be caught half pissed by him. Not that there's any real consequence there, just a sense of trust could be bruised.

You go ahead with that. Now for another screwdriver.
__________________

__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #137
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,033
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
My dad came to me an hour ago and I said I'd be in bed by 1, but I really don't want to be. But I don't want to be caught half pissed by him. Not that there's any real consequence there, just a sense of trust could be bruised.

You go ahead with that. Now for another screwdriver.
Ah, right, because I noticed Pet Sounds and thought maybe I should give it a play. Though looking at the tracklist, I know I can't stand Wouldn't It Be Nice (and associate it with those bloody Cadbury ads), and it's the opener. What do you suggest I play to get perhaps a more favourable sample of the album?
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Serena Vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 32.63n 117.14w
Posts: 12,603
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yeah, can't say I've been sick on my birthday either. I also hadn't ever had rain on my birthday until my 19th ... a day on which it poured down like I've never seen. Not only could we not see the house over the road, but we couldn't even see our front fence! And yeah, get drunk and forget you're sick.

Haha, I tend to respond to nagging by taking even LONGER to do something. My father keeps nagging me about a couple of things, and it annoys me so much that I pretty much intentionally put it off because I've stopped caring. However! I'm expecting to find more and more motivation as my holidays run out - two weeks to go, and I'm sure that with a couple of days left, I'll feel really motivated and start doing things that will take me a week!
You know, I don't think it's really ever rained on mine before either now that I think about it. At least, not where I live anyway.
Oh and I plan to. I wouldn't be surprised if I leave some drunken postings here, too.

Sounds like the majority of people who procrastinate. Can't say I know of a way to change that unless you suddenly really start despising it and make an effort to not do it. Holidays or time off running out tends to do that I've noticed!
__________________
Serena Vox is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #139
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Ah, right, because I noticed Pet Sounds and thought maybe I should give it a play. Though looking at the tracklist, I know I can't stand Wouldn't It Be Nice (and associate it with those bloody Cadbury ads), and it's the opener. What do you suggest I play to get perhaps a more favourable sample of the album?
I suggest you compeltely fucking ignore those goddamn Cadbury ads and listen to it because the second or so to last bit in the song is incredibly beautiful.

But really, maybe listen to from Let's Go Away For A While.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #140
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,033
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Vox View Post
You know, I don't think it's really ever rained on mine before either now that I think about it. At least, not where I live anyway.
Oh and I plan to. I wouldn't be surprised if I leave some drunken postings here, too.

Sounds like the majority of people who procrastinate. Can't say I know of a way to change that unless you suddenly really start despising it and make an effort to not do it. Holidays or time off running out tends to do that I've noticed!
I'm surprised I escaped rain for so long, given that I grew up in New Zealand, the land of unpredictably bad weather. It's the kind of place where you visit in August, expecting it to be wintery and yet it's a lovely early spring, then you go over in December and there's serious windchill and driving rain and you'd swear it's winter.

I find I can be extremely motivated if something catches my eye, but if I'm completely over something, e.g. cleaning, then getting any motivation is like drawing blood from a stone. Part of the problem is that I really have very little reason to keep this place as neat as I'd like it, since nobody ever comes around. If it's just me here, what do I care? As long as there's no bugs or other nasty things, it can be as disorganised as I can handle!
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #141
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,033
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I suggest you compeltely fucking ignore those goddamn Cadbury ads and listen to it because the second or so to last bit in the song is incredibly beautiful.

But really, maybe listen to from Let's Go Away For A While.
Oh, and I also associate it with Gold Lotto ads. The start of the song makes me want to punch somebody. It makes me want to punch somebody far more effectively than even the most aggressive metal ever could!

And righto. This could prove interesting.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #142
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Oh, and I also associate it with Gold Lotto ads. The start of the song makes me want to punch somebody. It makes me want to punch somebody far more effectively than even the most aggressive metal ever could!

And righto. This could prove interesting.
I honestly don't understand your complete aversion to pop music. That's ridiculous because you're posting on a U2 forum for criminy's sake! Anyway an argument is completely futile, but really that song is not nearly as shallow as you think it is, and I think that maybe you won't appreciate the album with your current mindset, but maybe when you're older? I know it sounds dumb since I'm younger than you, but that's what a lot of people tend to say of Pet Sounds, that it's an adult record, and I think that may hold true with you.

Not saying you have to listen to any goddamn Beatles when you're older though.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Serena Vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 32.63n 117.14w
Posts: 12,603
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm surprised I escaped rain for so long, given that I grew up in New Zealand, the land of unpredictably bad weather. It's the kind of place where you visit in August, expecting it to be wintery and yet it's a lovely early spring, then you go over in December and there's serious windchill and driving rain and you'd swear it's winter.

I find I can be extremely motivated if something catches my eye, but if I'm completely over something, e.g. cleaning, then getting any motivation is like drawing blood from a stone. Part of the problem is that I really have very little reason to keep this place as neat as I'd like it, since nobody ever comes around. If it's just me here, what do I care? As long as there's no bugs or other nasty things, it can be as disorganised as I can handle!
The weather's usually bad around there? I don't really know a lot about New Zealand, to be honest. Or really much about how the weather works in that hemisphere other than it's opposite to us.

I can see your point. My bedroom for the most part is clean in terms of not having junk lying around or anything but it can be a disorganised mess of my belongings! Sometimes I'll have my portfolio of my drawings all scattered somewhere, or old crap from school. Apparently I am a packrat. I have plain old assignments from my freshman year in high school (2001-2002) in folders (not intentionally kept, just never got around to throwing them away!).
__________________
Serena Vox is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #144
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Hey Serena, just sort of out of nowhere, and maybe with thanks to some liquid spirit, but I saw your thread in ZC and just wanted to say that I really hope you'll feel better and that everything goes alright. I had the same problems as you when I was younger and they were pretty tough on me. But you seem to be a wonderful person from what I've read of your posts here, and I wish you a recovery from that darkness.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Serena Vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 32.63n 117.14w
Posts: 12,603
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Hey Serena, just sort of out of nowhere, and maybe with thanks to some liquid spirit, but I saw your thread in ZC and just wanted to say that I really hope you'll feel better and that everything goes alright. I had the same problems as you when I was younger and they were pretty tough on me. But you seem to be a wonderful person from what I've read of your posts here, and I wish you a recovery from that darkness.
Thank you.
That means so much.

I am working on it. It's gonna be a long road, I know. But I'm not giving up.
__________________
Serena Vox is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #146
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,033
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I honestly don't understand your complete aversion to pop music. That's ridiculous because you're posting on a U2 forum for criminy's sake! Anyway an argument is completely futile, but really that song is not nearly as shallow as you think it is, and I think that maybe you won't appreciate the album with your current mindset, but maybe when you're older? I know it sounds dumb since I'm younger than you, but that's what a lot of people tend to say of Pet Sounds, that it's an adult record, and I think that may hold true with you.

Not saying you have to listen to any goddamn Beatles when you're older though.
I just usually don't like music that is or at least sounds overly sunny. There are, of course, exceptions. But I find a lot of pop music comes across as far too contrived and insincere. The more pop-y a song, the more I think "you're having me on to make a quick buck". There is a great Steven Wilson quote that, to paraphrase, basically says "I prefer melancholic music because it is a shared experience and thus quite uplifting; music that is artificially happy is in fact depressing". Funny you say that Pet Sounds is more an adult record, since I am having trouble getting past the idea of songs like Sloop John B being kids' songs. Though once I get past that, it's a surprisingly enjoyable track. I preferred it to God Only Knows, which I know is massively loved but that doesn't do a terrible lot for me.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #147
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 10:35 AM
Surrender US festival.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #148
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,033
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Vox View Post
The weather's usually bad around there? I don't really know a lot about New Zealand, to be honest. Or really much about how the weather works in that hemisphere other than it's opposite to us.

I can see your point. My bedroom for the most part is clean in terms of not having junk lying around or anything but it can be a disorganised mess of my belongings! Sometimes I'll have my portfolio of my drawings all scattered somewhere, or old crap from school. Apparently I am a packrat. I have plain old assignments from my freshman year in high school (2001-2002) in folders (not intentionally kept, just never got around to throwing them away!).
Depends what part of New Zealand, really, though it is generally a maritime climate and there's a good deal of rain about in many areas. I'd say it's more unpredictable than rainy, though. Unless you're in the West Coast region of the South Island, which isn't known as the Wet Coast for nothing!

I'd consider my place clean in the sense you won't find food scraps or genuine rubbish like discarded plastic or wrapping or anything like that. However, it sometimes (as is the case now) gets a chaotic look because I simply have so many books and papers and they get scattered about. I know what you mean about keeping high school stuff too; I still have some of my work, and had a hard time throwing out some more when I moved to Melbourne and really couldn't cart all of it with me.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #149
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
Going to bed. Bye.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #150
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,033
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Hey Serena, just sort of out of nowhere, and maybe with thanks to some liquid spirit, but I saw your thread in ZC and just wanted to say that I really hope you'll feel better and that everything goes alright. I had the same problems as you when I was younger and they were pretty tough on me. But you seem to be a wonderful person from what I've read of your posts here, and I wish you a recovery from that darkness.
I've no idea what ZC thread you mean since I never look in ZC (though now I'm thinking maybe I should go see what you're referring to), but yeah, I second the general sentiment. Serena, I've really liked you being around the threads the last few days, it's been nice.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com