Linkin Park Helps Out Tsunami Victims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
I'm not a fan of Linkin Park but saw this on E! Online and thought the band definitely deserved props for stepping up like this...

Linkin Park Leads Tsunami Aid Effort

by Josh Grossberg
Dec 29, 2004, 12:10 PM PT

After watching TV coverage of the aftermath of Sunday's horrifying earthquake and tsunami disaster in the Indian Ocean, Linkin Park is ready to help.

The rap-rock quartet has become the first of what will undoubtedly be many Western artists to launch relief efforts for victims of the catastrophe, ponying up $100,000 for aid and teaming with the American Red Cross to set up Music for Relief.

"We are fortunate to be in a position to help, but this needs to be a broader effort--both by our fans and by other musicians," says Linkin Park guitarist Brad Delson. "If one of our fans can donate $10, then that's going to help. We are also going to appeal to our musical peers by asking them to donate as well. The bottom line is the more we can do, and the quicker we can do it, the more lives we can save."

The tusunami disaster is expected to be the most costly natural disaster ever, requiring billions in emergency aid. Dozens of countries have pledged a combined $300 million to United Nation relief efforts.

The Music for Relief charity will aid what officials at the World Health Organization are already saying is the biggest humanitarian relief effort ever. International groups have mobilized and are racing to the regions, particularly devastated areas in Sri Lanka and Indonesia, to provide medical treatment to the injured, especially antibiotics, blankets and fresh water.

Says Delson. "This money will also be used to aid the millions left homeless by this natural disaster, it's our way of giving back to the people who so desperately need it."

Linkin Park is no stranger to the region. Last June, the SoCal-based band performed several sold-out stadium shows in Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia.

"The outpouring of emotion from our fans there was overwhelming--it really affected us," Delson says of the concerts.

The tsunamis were generated by a magnitude 9.0 quake on the floor of the Indian Ocean Sunday morning near the island of Sumatra. The massive waves--some as high as 30 feet--barreled into the coasts of 12 countries in Asia and Africa, catching beachgoers, residents and tourists unaware. So far, the death toll stands at 80,000 but is expected to climb even further as bodies continue to wash ashore and rescue workers begin reaching more remote areas.

Aside from Linkin Park, other celebrities are taking action. In Hong Kong, hometown hero Jackie Chan donated $64,000 to the United Nations Children's Fund. He was joined by Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon star Chow Yun-Fat, Shaolin Soccer director and star, Stephen Chow, and local pop singers Andy Lau and Leon Lai, who each gave $25,600 to UNICEF, according to Hong Kong's Apple Daily newspaper.

Chan called his donation "a token," but said he hoped it would "have a spearheading effect." If others follow his lead, Chan told the paper, "the accumulation of droplets becomes a river."

Speaking of international action stars, Chan's fellow martial artist Jet Li was among a handful of celebs who survived the tsunamis. Li was vacationing in the Maldives with his daughter when the waves hit the lobby of their resort hotel. The Hero star sustained a minor foot injury but managed to grab his daughter and pulled her out of harm's way.

Donations for Music for Relief can be made at www.musicforrelief.org; for the Red Cross, visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800-HELP-NOW.

Last edited:
Very nice to read that. And their donation will most likely spur their fans to give too, so even more will be given.

not a fan, but that's great.

I wonder what U2 is going to do and when?

I'll be making a donation this coming payday, I don't have much but I sure as hell will help. Just like I would pray someone would help me if I was in that situation.

awesome:up:

i have always loved linkin park. reading the article makes me love them more.

Back
Top Bottom