Linkin Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Anyone Like them? I am listening to an advanced copy of it. Pretty good so far. Different from the usual stuff.

I used to be really into them... not so much anymore though. My favourite song was Breaking the Habit.

It's been a long time since Meteroa.

I haven't bought anything of theirs, but I like their singles. Well, except for the stuff with Jay-Z. Just couldn't get into that.

Actually, Hybrid Theory was a solid album.

It encapsualted "nu-metal" so well that the genre might as well have started and ended with that album. It's fulfilling and succeeds in it's intent, and is probably the only nu-metal album worth posessing or even hearing.

Meteora was a snoozefest, except for Faint.

In The End is a song everybody sings along to when alone but nobody admits to liking as even a guilty pleasure. :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i liked some of the songs off their first album... i just hate the whole white boy rap/rock thing. if they stuck to just singing i'd like 'em more

:yes:

I just heard a sample of their new single on iTunes. It sounds pretty good and different than their previous albums. Also, the frontman (what's his name?) actually sings instead of screaming in this song. He actually has a good voice once he stops screaming.

I liked them.. but its been awhile since they put out any new stuff, and I feel like I've outgrown them or something.

And now I just saw the music video for Linkin Park's new single and I can easily say that it may be the most depressing music video I've ever seen. Basically, take every depressing image on the news since TV existed and put them in this music video. Looks like they've gone all activist now.

I'll admit I like them. have a few misc songs and Meteora. I saw them several years ago on the Family Values tour, with STP (dude, I touched Weiland's abs :drool: ) and Staind and some others. I thought they were good, but still somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me :)

LP were alright back when all they played on rock radio was nu-metal garbage at the end of the 90s. Times change though.

Justin24 said:
Well if anyone wants a copy e-mail me at marine22@sbcglobal.net
:shifty: ... Oh god, how I want to email you and get it, but I'm gonna make myself wait for this one. The album comes out the day after my birthday, so that's going to make it all the more special to me :)

Now for anyone that hasn't seen the video (or heard the song), click away:

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=6021700407326886541&hl=en

And now of course, my inevitable review. Linkin Park have grown up. I find it funny that the one thing that the non-fans are complaining about in this thread (the nu metal/white boy rapping) is gone on this album. This is their new direction, they gave Mike Shinoda a guitar and told him he couldn't rap anymore, and I'm fine with it.
The lyrics of What I've Done are all about wiping the slate and starting anew, and that seems to be what the band are doing with this new sound.
From what I can tell, just this first single seems to have already alienated some of their younger fans, who are calling it "too mainstream" and want the old sound back. But the change will certainly draw in new, more mature fans.

As for the video, it's both depressing and enlightening. The band playing in the desert, interspersed with shots of all of the very worst things: war, riots, famine, death, violence... but also interspersed with beautiful imagery of nature and animals and ancient buildings. Maybe they're just trying to say "Stop fucking up the earth/eachother and just live in peace already :madwife:" Regardless, I like it. It's stunning, and I want to know who directed it.

Hmmm After looking at the tracklist on itunes. I am guessing the songs I have are tracks that did not make the cut, except for a few, and the beat is different on the single from the one I have compared to the single on itunes. So if you want to hear it like I said e-mail me.

Justin24 said:
Hmmm After looking at the tracklist on itunes. I am guessing the songs I have are tracks that did not make the cut, except for a few, and the beat is different on the single from the one I have compared to the single on itunes. So if you want to hear it like I said e-mail me.
Maybe you got the fake tracks that were circulating the torrents the last few weeks? Do they sound distinctly like Linkin Park, or do they sound like Chester trying to sing Stone Temple Pilots songs, because if so, those are Grey Daze songs (his band before Linkin Park). I downloaded a zip file full of them, claiming to be Minutes to Midnight, but it only fooled me for a minute :)

Also the What I've Done video is now on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp6msolGoa0

Caught a glimpse of the new video the other day on TV...

Shades
Leather jacket
Video shot in desert-like place with lots of sand in crazy camera angles
Interest in world issues

What's next, Chester? Knighthood?

got_edge said:
Caught a glimpse of the new video the other day on TV...

Shades
Leather jacket
Video shot in desert-like place with lots of sand in crazy camera angles
Interest in world issues

What's next, Chester? Knighthood?
I'll admit, I was sort of thinking the same thing :shifty:

I only like "In the End". Linkin Park sounds to me like rap mixed with rock, or metal :madspit:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I love Linkin Park. I like heavier stuff. Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Lostprophets, Alien Ant Farm.. that shit appeals to me. Nü-metal can be good, if done right (I don't even know if those bands are considered nü-metal or what). Hybrid Theory is a great album. Meteora wasn't as good, but I still liked it a lot. Somewhere I Belong, Faint, Figure.09... :drool:

That said...wow, they really did change their sound. I'm sure a lot of their "hardcore" fans will be like "omg dis is gay lololololz," but I rather like it, and I'm impressed that they'd change so drastically. I wonder if it was the influence of Rick Rubin :hmm: but nice catchy song, a little U2y, and good music video. I pre-ordered the album already :D

I have some live song from Japan that I'm guessing didn't make the album, because it's really heavy. I like it though, I can ysi if anyone wants.

Just wanted to say the new album is quite enjoyable, though I'm guessing a lot of LP fans are not going to like it. The last three songs on the album don't sound like Linkin Park at all. Like, I could play In Between and you'd think it was some indie band or something.

gotta admit though that my favourite song by far is No More Sorrow, which is also probably the most typical LP song on there. but it's sooooo awesome :drool:

a lot of the songs have LP's typical angsty teen type themes, but I do think they've shown some real maturity on this one. Hands Held High impressed me a lot (who knew LP would write a song with a chorus of amen?). I've always found LP rap to be pretty elementary but that has some killer lines - "In my living room watching the eye I'm not laughing/'cause when it gets tense I know what might happen/World is cold, bold men take action/Have to react to get blown into fractions" and "It's ironic, at times like this you pray/But a bomb blew the mosque up yesterday"

oh and Shadow of the Day = With or Without You. seriously.

the shaaaadow of the day
will embraaaace the world in grey
and the suuuuuuun will set for yooooou

with or without you
with or withoooooout yoooou
i can't liiiiiiiiiive with or withoooout you

am i rite or wut lolz

but yeah, this album has a lot of diversity. Not every track is amazing, but I must commend LP for making such a change. They really could have just kept making the same stuff and still done well, but they took a risk instead

Back
Top Bottom