Life On Mars anyone? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Life On Mars anyone?

From the commercials it looked like another stupid idea for a show...but I got hooked after a while watching it on BBC.

So yeah...any other fans out there? Also there should be a petition not to make a U.S. version of it.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 07:56 AM
I love this programme

I work at a cop shop and all the detectives in my building who have been cops for 30+ years say that is exactly how it was in the 70s. Quite a terrifying thought

Old 04-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Refugee

I've heard that from several other people too. Very scary thought for sure.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:56 PM
I watched one episode of this

I thought it was really good

I actually remember the 70s

I read of heard somewhere that there is an American version being planned

My advice, stay with the BBC

they did a crap job trying to do Cracker
Old 04-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Yeah, watched it from the start, really like it, apparently there's to be a follow up in the future, this time set in the '80's, titled, Ashes To Ashes, someone must be a big Bowie fan.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Refugee

See, it's a good concept for 16 episodes over 2 series, but a follow up in the 80's? That'll be dragging it out a bit. But then again, I dunno, could work. I love all the soundtrack of this show though, some one must be a huge music fan.

And I completely agree, an American version is a terrible idea.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
“Life On Mars” — American Style

Written by: Samuel K. Sloan (SoSF Producer/Managing News Director)

Looks like the U.S. is going to try out another popular U.K. product on for size and try to make it uniquely its own. In a long line of British programming that gets copied by U.S. networks, this latest foray will be an American remake of the British SF hit show “Life On Mars” which runs on the BBC America cable network. For you trivia buffs, the show got its name from the old David Bowie song of the same title.

Writer/producer David E. Kelley, the creator of such mega hits like “The Practice,” “Ally McBeal,” “Boston Public” and the multi-Emmy winning “Boston Legal” has decided to take on a product not originally his own and put his unique taste and style to it.

This has been tried many times with the most successful U.K.-to-U.S. transplant being “All In the Family” which made ultra stars out of the likes of Caroll O’Connor, Jean Stapleton, Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers, who, until that time, were either total unknowns or lesser known character actors from the stage and screen. Kelley is hoping to do for ‘Mars’ what producer Norman Lear did with ‘Family,’ make it another gigantic U.K. adaptation hit for U.S. network television.

There are two things that might hinder him from making that happen. First, “All In the Family” was groundbreaking, touching on subjects which, until that time, had been totally taboo on American television, and secondly, the U.K. version was really, really good and gave Lear a great jumping off point to tantalize American viewers.

The U.K.’s “Life On Mars,” while being pretty decent television is neither groundbreaking or that tantalizing and, unlike the 1970’s, American audiences can already get all the original “Life On Mars” they want from the cable network BBC America, plus Netflix, Blockbuster and DVD sales. So, Kelley has his work cut out for him if he is wanting his “Life On Mars” to be a record-setting new series.

The story of “Life On Mars,” for those who don’t listen to our Slice of Scifi show, (where we have talked about the British show on several occasions) or who have not had the opportunity to see it on cable, is about a detective who finds himself transported back to 1972 after his girlfriend has been kidnapped.

Kelley has signed on Rachelle Lefevre (”What About Brian,” “Veronica Mars”) to play the only main female character in the 1972 police department, who forges a bond with the mysterious detective and teams with him to track down the same serial killer that plagued one of his 21st Century investigations. It looks like young newbieTrevor MacFarlane (who was born in England) may star as detective John Holden, the 21st Century officer who, after a motor vehicle accident, awakens to find himself in an America 30-years in his past. The same character is older and named Sam Tyler on the British series. Actor William Atkinson has also joined the cast. As more valid casting news is made available stay tuned to Slice of SciFi for updates.

This Americanized “Life On Mars” is currently in pre-production and is slated for the upcoming ABC Fall lineup.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

anyone that has a dvr (tivo) and BBC America

may still be able to catch this series

http://www.bbcamerica.com/tvschedule.jsp

/\ you can search- mars

it looks like they will repeat the series
starting at the end of April
Old 04-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by bayernfc
And I completely agree, an American version is a terrible idea.
I agree too. I mean, what's the point ?!!

I've not seen as many episodes of Life On Mars as I'd like to have but from what I've seen it is a really good show (I'd certainly rank it as far better than "pretty decent", which is how the article deep posted describes it!).
Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1

"pretty decent", which is how the article deep posted describes it!).
I think it is much better than "pretty decent"

I will tivo it

and watch it
Old 04-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
I really cannot imagine an American Gene Hunt.

And please say they would not sanitise it. in the US. The beauty of this programme is that they can subtely challenge old-fashioned viewpoints on things like race, sexism etc, without having to dance around it. Some of the things the characters come out with are so shocking (but also very funny) in a "I can't believe people used to think it was okay to talk like that" kind of way. Take away that element and it wouldn't work anywhere near as well.

we get away with a lot more risque stuff on TV in the UK, so I would be worried that they would try to clean up some of the language and so on
Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Refugee

^ Yeah I'd imagine the PC police would be after it in no time, obviously completely missing the point or the irony.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 08:56 AM
I love that show "Life on Mars" and I agree with you guys that an American version just wouldn't work.

But I'm afraid those Americans won't listen to us....
Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I believe Gene Hunt will get his own spin off...that's what i've heard not sure about the 80's version
Old 04-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 08:56 AM
Gene Hunt to get his own spin off....