Let's Talk About The Passion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2dork

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Yes, I know the subject is totally cliche' but, oh well.

I was on murmurs.com today. I was curious about things in the REM world after a friend of mine called me at 2 am last week to tell me I AM going to multiple REM shows this fall, no buts about it (teachers - they get on that summer schedule and sometimes forget some people have to be at work by 8). I noticed a thread asking people if they thought the new U2 album would overshadow REM?s upcoming release in October. I was surprised at some of their remarks. So I'm adding a bit to this question and presenting it to you folks to see what you have to say, just because I'm curious.

Do you think REM will be making a type of "come back" on their next album? Will they be a sort of a competitor for ?the best band in the world? title? Are they a worthy competitor?

By the way, if someone is gonna wake me up at 2 am on a Wednesday night, the only way they could survive would be with this kind of ultimatum. REM whether I like it or not, Ha! :drool:

yes, rem is quite possibly the better band, imo...michael stipe is much more talented than bono. but no, they probably will not sell out their shows in any sort of "comeback" manner, and yes, U2's new album will overshadow rem's, even though rem's will probably be better...its just the way things are.

Last edited:
Michael Stipe has been the greatest genius in music the last 30+ years at least in my mind
and the live show I saw R.E.M. do last year was really great

that being said in the end I do prefer U2 somehow
and I have higher expectations for the new U2 album

R.E.M. will always be able to count on Stipe for lyrical and vocal brilliance, but if they want to become anywhere near as popular as they once were they'll have to write some better/more interesting melodies again

I don't really care one way or the other though
as I'm convinced neither band would never release a mediocre album

REM has slipped way down the popular culture ladder. Their last few releases got played basically only on "Adult rock" type radio stations at least in the US. Kids (the large music buying demographic) couldn't care less about them. The new album may well be great (for my money it needs to be a little more rocking than the recent stuff), but it will come nowhere near U2's release as far as sales and impact are concerned. They just don't get the type of exposure U2 gets and the "best band in the world" wouldn't be in their grasp cause they'll go unnoticed by many unfortunately.
However I think U2 has always been a better band, even at REM's peak.

I have to say that I?ve always had a great deal of respect for REM because they make the music that they want to make, no matter what. I guess that the comparisons between them and U2 have always been a little like comparing the Beatles and the Rolling Stones -how can you say either is "better" than the other when each is so different and each has been so successful at what they do.

Additionally, I found a snippet from an XFM article that I thought I would share, although some of you may have already read it:

After being given a sneak preview of the single, Xfm can report that ?Leaving New York? is unlikely to disappoint R.E.M.'s fanbase. A piano-led love song recalling the band's earlier work from the 'Automatic For The People' era, the track has a sound and feel reminiscent of 1992's 'Drive' and features the lyric "It's easier to leave, than be left behind". Moving, poignant yet ultimately uplifting.

xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=32544

While I was pretty excited for the new album, my interest dropped off massively when I heard it was 'extremely political'. I dont know, if they share their political opinions in a way that isnt extremely blatant (Document), I may be ok with it. If not, I wont even get it.

I've been getting into REM again recently, and I've realized that the majority of their recent albums were good, but just not very interesting. Hopefully this so called political album will change that, I wont get my hopes up though.

Oh yeah, the upcoming single is 'Leaving New York'.
http://www.nme.com/news/109297.htm

I have their album Reveal, which is a great album (except for the last track which always ruins the atmosphere), but REM imo could never come near U2 in terms of greatness, even if REM's new album is their best and U2 put out another ATYCLB. I certainly don't dislike REM, but their songs are all a bit to 'jangly' in general for them to become one of my favourite bands.

I think they both have different strengths and weaknesses. I think Stipe is the better singer, technically speaking. But Bono is much more passionate. I've seen REM live, but not U2, so I can't say for sure, but it seems like U2 is the much stronger band, as far as live goes. Overall, I think U2 is better, and I hate to use the word, but they have reamined more relavent to music, where as REM, especially in the U.S. has really fallen out of favor.

I love R.E.M but it's hard to get as excited about their new album as it is U2's album because: A) They are just so low-key about everything and B) No matter what album they release, they always sound like, well, R.E.M. Not that it's a bad thing, because I love their sound, but you just don't get the surprise you get with a new album from a band like U2, who are always changing their sound.

I wish them all the luck in the world with the new album, but I don't think it will do as well commercially as U2's. They really do seem to have fallen off just about everyone's radar except for the die-hard fans, which is really a shame. :(

Instead of posting a new thread I'll just put this here...
REMHQ has announced the new REM album will be called Around the Sun and will be released on Oct. 4/5... Yay!

U2dork said:
Instead of posting a new thread I'll just put this here...
REMHQ has announced the new REM album will be called Around the Sun and will be released on Oct. 4/5... Yay!

Cool, thanks for the info :up:

That means it should be leaking any time now! (if ted leo is anything to go by... :p)

I respect REM's music and Stipe's voice and have their Best of album (had Up and Automatic for the people too), but their music doesn't grab me the way U2 does. Being a U2 fan, of course I personally think they're better - just like REM fans on that thread think REM is better.

What we know is both bands are friends and respect each other, and - even though the media likes to make it out - aren't really in competition. (same goes for U2 and Radiohead) All three do their own thing, and the world is more than big enough so they can co-exist.

*edit* I don't remember U2 saying "Vertigo" will be a political album like that thread says.

Last edited:
I used to be WAY WAY into REM and still listen to them a decent amount, was listening to Green earlier today actually. Like U2, their older stuff still holds up very well for me.

I'll get their new album, eventually, but I won't be camping out at the store on release day like I will be for the U2 album. :p I just haven't been that excited by their last 2 albums :shrug: but...I still like Michael Stipe as a singer so much, I'll get it.

Does anyone watch MTV2? I think that's where MTV shows "Album Covers". I have the one where Dashboard Confessional covers Automatic for the People and it's kinda funny, when Stipe comes on stage to join the band, his singing just blows away everyone in the room. :happy:

REM have been more consistent than U2, but U2 have had greater highpoints than REM. They're just about equal in my eyes, though Reveal was poo for the most part. I'm just glad the 2 best band from the past 25 years are putting albums out around the same time, and both touring.

I hardly see bands in competition any more (unless one is very sucky and deserves large amounts of hatin' on). U2 and REM are similar in many ways, different in others, and both very good.

I'm so zen.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
REM has slipped way down the popular culture ladder. Their last few releases got played basically only on "Adult rock" type radio stations at least in the US. Kids (the large music buying demographic) couldn't care less about them. The new album may well be great (for my money it needs to be a little more rocking than the recent stuff), but it will come nowhere near U2's release as far as sales and impact are concerned. They just don't get the type of exposure U2 gets and the "best band in the world" wouldn't be in their grasp cause they'll go unnoticed by many unfortunately.
However I think U2 has always been a better band, even at REM's peak.

Agree, for me REM has always been in the "aiight" category. Automatic for the People and Out of Time (except for that first track) are the only albums that I recognize them by, yea, they have some good songs for their earlier period.
U2 music's in the other hand is more bombastic, louder, and can relate with more of the music, those are my two cents.

Bunbury said:

Agree, for me REM has always been in the "aiight" category. Automatic for the People and Out of Time (except for that first track) are the only albums that I recognize them by, yea, they have some good songs for their earlier period.
U2 music's in the other hand is more bombastic, louder, and can relate with more of the music, those are my two cents.

Get Document and Life's Rich Pageant. Good, loud REM records.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom