Let's talk about JOHN LENNON

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RebelJamesDean

Babyface
What are your opinions on Mr. Lennon? Love him, hate him, don't care much about him?

Fav albums?
Fav songs?
Performances?

And should I buy Working Class Hero: The Definitive Lennon?

I've been so into Lennon these past few months; I've always liked his music but lately his music has had an amazing affect on me. His songs are beautiful, melodic, inspiring, touching, romantic, rebelious.....I have realized how much I love his music and how much the music world needs someone like John Lennon. Even with his god-like-ego and all, I just wish there was someone some-what like him now! :wink:

So, any opinions on him/his music please share! :)

I really liked the No No Song, where John talked about how he used to snort and drink a lot. But now when he sees some great moonshine whiskey, he has to say 'no no I don't drink it no more' because he's 'tired of waking up on the floor'.

Also a standout from Lennon's career is the classic french western cowboy themed 'Beaucoups of Blues' where he uses Lousianne as a metaphor for Yoko.

If you want the best Lennon has to offer, start with Plastic Ono Band. Really amazing stuff. Very emotional, very powerful. Mother, God, Working Class Hero, etc.

I would then go to Imagine, which is a bit more mainstream but also has a lot of great songs.

After that, Walls & Bridges and Mind Games, which are like many 80's Dylan albums: great songs side by side with not-so-great songs.

There's no point in getting a compilation; this man is a genius and he has at least 4 solo studio albums worth owning.

Double Fantasy is worth having as well, if you can tolerate the fact that half of the songs are by Yoko Ono! The 7 Lennon songs on there are all great.

i love john Lennon...ill tell you guys my art project.....ok....

my art teacher is reading a book called the post mail or some thing like that and so in the book this guy wrights to dead people and if they return to him then the dead person didn't get the mail but if it doesn't come back then that mans that the dead person got the mail where ever they are.....and I'm doing john Lennon....i was watching this thing on his anniversary and it made me really sad that some one could do that to some one who is so brilliant (I'm talking about how mark chapman shot him)

oh ya i like working class hero and imagine and instant karma! are my faves!!!

Last edited:
If only Lennon could have joined forces with McCartney's amazing melodies and brought his amazing lyrics - they could have made some amazing songs :drool:

I love his music..imagine is a classic. don't know so much about him as a person though, what with all his and yoko's fur coats..hmm indeed!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and stuff.

In my collection over the years, I only have these Lennon albums:

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (Absolutely love MOTHER, Working class hero and Love)

Walls and Bridges (I've heard that it recently got re-mastered?)

Imagine

Mind Games

So is there any other albums I should own? I've had these albums for years now.

Wait I also have Lennon Legend that I bought a few years back.

I was thinking of buying DOUBLE FANTASY, any good? I've always loved (Just Like) Starting Over; one of my favorite if not my fav Lennon song. The other song I know from that album is WOMAN, which I LOVE!

love_u2_adam said:
i love john Lennon...ill tell you guys my art project.....ok....

my art teacher is reading a book called the post mail or some thing like that and so in the book this guy wrights to dead people and if they return to him then the dead person didn't get the mail but if it doesn't come back then that mans that the dead person got the mail where ever they are.....and I'm doing john Lennon....i was watching this thing on his anniversary and it made me really sad that some one could do that to some one who is so brilliant (I'm talking about how mark chapman shot him)

oh ya i like working class hero and imagine and instant karma! are my faves!!!

That sounds like an awesome project!! I want to hear more about it? Like what are you gonna do?

I was also watching a documentary on his anniversary, it is very sad. I'm so pathetic I get very sad when I see/read about celebrities who die such tragic deaths. I get very :( when I read or watch anything on how James Dean died.

lazarus - thanks for the great feedback.

Matt786 - Double Fantasy might be the next album I buy! Thanks for the warning on YOKO!

RebelJamesDean said:

That sounds like an awesome project!! I want to hear more about it? Like what are you gonna do?

I was also watching a documentary on his anniversary, it is very sad. I'm so pathetic I get very sad when I see/read about celebrities who die such tragic deaths. I get very :( when I read or watch anything on how James Dean died.

lazarus - thanks for the great feedback.

Matt786 - Double Fantasy might be the next album I buy! Thanks for the warning on YOKO!

well we have to have a place...like im sending mine to strawberry fields...and then we wright to them like what they meant to us and how they have made an impact and then i get to decorate it:hyper:

You know what one of my favorite Lennon songs is? 'Oh Yoko'.

Canadiens will appreciate, it has prominent placing in Rushmore.

beau2ifulday said:
I find him to be very overrated in almost every way.

yeah. I can't say who my fav Beatle was while they were together in terms of songs written by each one, but he was great with them (well in my very unpopular opinion they're one band that shouldn't have messed with drugs, and Sgt Peppers onward is overrated). Anyway...his solo stuff is overrated and yes I've heard a lot of it. There's a compilation called Lennon Legend which is probably worth your money but other than that...ehh. :shrug: Imagine has bad lyrics and is boring, by the way..."in my opinion."

Also, he was known for being a real asshole in person, insufferable genious at best. And yet he wrote a few overrated songs about world peace, had a bed-in, and people see him as some kind of heroic savior of the human race. And of course that's the image of him that will always exist since he got shot.

oops.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so do i.

working class hero? god? love? beautiful boy?

the man was a lyrical genius.

- 5 points for his constant blabbering at the end of songs. I'm reminded of Borrowed Time. It makes Bonoglese seem like English Lit. Actually, Borrowed Time is a fantastic song for about the first 10 seconds, but then it fails to actually start - kind of like an old tractor.

Legend of course, I was watching a retrospective on him a while ago and they had the Jealous Guy video with him alone playing piano and such, I almost shed a tear.

Canadiens1160 said:
- 5 points for his constant blabbering at the end of songs. I'm reminded of Borrowed Time. It makes Bonoglese seem like English Lit.
It's better than Yoko fake-orgasming over the end of a song. Almost ruined sex for me forever.

Oh, and people here think everything is overrated.

Here's the tracklist for the Working Class Hero compilation

DISC 1:
1. (Just Like) Starting Over
2. Imagine
3. Watching The Wheels
4. Jealous Guy
5. Instant Karma
6. Stand By Me
7. Working Class Hero
8. Power To The People
9. Oh My Love
10. Oh Yoko
11. Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out
12. Nobody Told Me
13. Bless You
14. Come Together - (Live)
15. New York City
16. I'm Stepping Out
17. You Are Here
18. Borrowed Time
19. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

DISC 2:
1. Woman
2. Mind Games
3. Out Of The Blue
4. Whatever Gets You Through The Night
5. Love
6. Mother
7. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
8. Woman Is The ****** Of The World
9. God
10. Scared
11. #9 Dream
12. I'm Losing You - (Anthology Version)
13. Isolation
14. Cold Turkey
15. Intuition
16. Gimme Some Truth
17. Give Peace A Chance
18. Real Love
19. Grow Old With Me

What I find particularly amusing about this is that the vast majority of all other artists (and that includes U2 :p) cannot claim to have written the same amount of top quality, universally known songs in their entire career. - and this only represents his post Beatles solo work, not his most creative period.

....but he is so, sooooo overrated :tsk:

typhoon said:

It's better than Yoko fake-orgasming over the end of a song. Almost ruined sex for me forever.

Oh, and people here think everything is overrated.

yeah, the word everything is so overrated too

died young ,

will live forever

, decent albums ,

Awesome songs

great soul ,

instable

beaituful

john_lennon2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom