Let's talk about JOHN LENNON

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by
love_u2_adam

well we have to have a place...like im sending mine to strawberry fields...and then we wright to them like what they meant to us and how they have made an impact and then i get to decorate it

Awww that sounds like a damn good project! I wish I was doing something like that! Have fun with it!

Originally posted by

VertigoGal

Imagine has bad lyrics and is boring, by the way..."in my opinion."

I think this song is simple yet beautiful and sincere. The message to it is so simple: come together as a human race and imagine a better world. Yes, it may be "un-realistic" but just imagine this world as he puts it? Wouldn't it be nice? I dunno, I just love this song but again I do appreciate your opinion.

Also, he was known for being a real asshole in person, insufferable genious at best. And yet he wrote a few overrated songs about world peace, had a bed-in, and people see him as some kind of heroic savior of the human race. And of course that's the image of him that will always exist since he got shot.

oops.

Lennon wasn't perfect but who the hell is? Bono, as much as I love that man, is not perfect. But I can somehow see your point, Lennon was a man who preached the message of peace and love for the world, yet he was a rich man and quite frankly he was the opposite of that.

He was arrogant, egotistical, unfaithful and yes, he put people down as he saw fit. However, it is this contradiction of himself that made him who he was. He had many faults but at the same time he was a man who could write songs that spoked to millions of people. He wrote songs about world peace, sharing the wealth, and coming together as one and for this some call him a hypocrite. Nevertheless, he was also asking people to find peace for themselves in their lives; something I feel Lennon was looking for himself. He openly wrote about his and all his insecurites, he never denied to the world who he was. This to me makes him human.

The way I see it, the beauty of John Lennon is that he was this self-proclaimed hero, who wrote honest lyrics and wasn’t afraid to speak his mind. He was a bastard with a sincere heart and a straightforward view of the world. His life to me was more of a soul-searching journey, one we all go through as humans. He was at war with his own demons and all he was trying to do was overcome them.

Of course that is just my opinion as well!

Last edited:
Ok yesterday morning I bought the Double Fantasy album. So far, I like it. However, I dont' know how much longer I can stand Yoko!! In the song "Beautiful Boys", which I'm assuming this is about Lennon and Sean....her vocals are god-awful. However, I do like the lyrics. But the voice.. YOKO :crazy: :tsk:

I also don't know if I can take her orgasmic ending to KISS KISS KISS :yikes:

I'm still feeling some tracks on the album but overall I'm enjoying it, minus of course most of Yoko's songs! :wink:

Oh yeah....

newyork.jpg

I
hearta.gif
John Lennon too!

I know what you mean rebeljamesdean. I do love the guy's music including some of his solo stuff...was listening to the compilation I own and really enjoying it last night.

I think some people forget that he was incredibly human, as you mentioned. :wink:

(looking back at what I wrote I might have been a little too harsh :no: )

RebelJamesDean said:
Ok yesterday morning I bought the Double Fantasy album. So far, I like it. However, I dont' know how much longer I can stand Yoko!! In the song "Beautiful Boys", which I'm assuming this is about Lennon and Sean....her vocals are god-awful. However, I do like the lyrics. But the voice.. YOKO :crazy: :tsk:

I also don't know if I can take her orgasmic ending to KISS KISS KISS :yikes:

I'm still feeling some tracks on the album but overall I'm enjoying it, minus of course most of Yoko's songs! :wink:

Oh yeah....

newyork.jpg

I
hearta.gif
John Lennon too!

I've never cared for Yokos music(though a few years ago some of her stuff from the 70s ended up being loved by alot of hipsters I knew. They thought anything with a chorus sucked.

My advice is to pick up Milk and honey. They're some unreleased songs from the double fantasy sessions. You have to keep in mind none of them are done, they were just demos, though most of the words are in place and the band have the rough Idea of what Lennon wanted then to play. You can make a great CD using all the Lennon tracks from M and H and DF

As was mentioned earlier POB, Imagine and Walls and bridges were all great albums, and quite different from one another

RebelJamesDean said:
The story goes that Lennon had trouble finding a label to distribute this record (this was after Apple stopped doing anything useful) since he insisted that they sign Yoko as well. Imagine sucking so hard that record companies won't sign John Fucking Lennon because you're coming along with him.

VertigoGal said:
I know what you mean rebeljamesdean. I do love the guy's music including some of his solo stuff...was listening to the compilation I own and really enjoying it last night.

I think some people forget that he was incredibly human, as you mentioned. :wink:

(looking back at what I wrote I might have been a little too harsh :no: )

No problem, I think you brought up a very good point. Because everything you mentioned about Johbn Lennon he was. Sometimes people do forget that these music legends were not perferfect; many had their faults. :)

typhoon said:

The story goes that Lennon had trouble finding a label to distribute this record (this was after Apple stopped doing anything useful) since he insisted that they sign Yoko as well. Imagine sucking so hard that record companies won't sign John Fucking Lennon because you're coming along with him.

Damn! That is so sad. Just so :tsk:!

tuwie said:
the documentary that you guys are talking about...is it out on dvd or osmething, or did you watch it on a tv program?

I saw it on the A&E channel back in December and they re-showed it a few weeks ago (early February).

love_u2_adam said:
john lennon is soooo:drool: i think i love him....john lennon john lennon rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was reading the magazine UNCUT Legends... the issue on John Lennon.... I was staring at the cover and thinking there's something about him that is so appealing.

BTW how adorable are these baby pics?

babylennon.jpg

:cute:

BTW- There was another story I saw on Lennon called "THE ASSASINATION OF JOHN LENNON" a while back- my best bud just called me to tell me he finished watching it on TV, and thought of me! LOL

So if you check the A&E channel, I'm sure they will re-show it in the future.

love_u2_adam said:
^i have a book with that tittle.'THE ASSASINATION OF JOHN LENNON'..i'm going to read it soon!!

AND i saw that mag i was omg i gotta get it when i came back it was gone...so then i went and got another john lennon mag and i was like:drool:

Yeah. There's a webpage where you can order past magazine issues. I don't have the link with me right now because I'm at school, but it's a cool site.

A John Lennon Quote:

“Without Jimmy Dean, the Beatles never would have existed.”

I love that quote! :wink:

love_u2_adam said:
1. imagin
2.instant karma
3.working class hero
4.isolation
5.mind games

god i could go on and on!!!!:drool:

whats yours?????

Ooh very nice! Yeah, it's hard to just list a few....

1. (Just Like) Starting Over
2. Imagine
3. Instant Karma
4. Jealous Guy
5. Whatever gets you thru the night

I can go on too! :D btw- mind games is a good song! It's in my top 10! lol

Anyone else care to list their top 5 or more Lennon songs? :wink:

love_u2_adam said:
:hyper: all ive been listening to all day is the beatles..i like listening to i wanna hold your hand:reject:

I was listening to The Beatles all day yesterday particularly HELP!
I'm at the computer lab at school trying to write 2 major papers.. ok I finished one.. but I'm watching John Lennon vids on the net! :tsk: :wink:

Ok, list your top 5 Beatle songs?

1. Help!
2. Eight Days a Week
3. Rock & Roll Music
4. All You Need is Love
5. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

:)

love_u2_adam said:
1. i wanna hold your hand
2.sgt. peppers
3.HELP!
4.helter skelter
5. strawberry fields

:D

Very nice. Damn, I forgot how much I love Helter Skelter!! lol Anyway, I'm watching Chuck Berry and John Lennon sing Johnny B. Goode.

I'll get back to my work soon!

love_u2_adam said:
:lol: i should be doing homework but i dont wanna its boring lol!!!

I know!! It's more fun to watch Lennon videos on the net!!:wink:

Chuck Berry: "John, just be good!" :laugh:

love_u2_adam said:
^john lennon is soo cool im happy i got into him!!!!:happy:

hahaha me too!! All these Lennon vids I haven't seen in ages and new ones I've never seen before..... hmmmm watch more vids or do papers? :wink: BTW- I'm on youtube.com watching all these vids! lol

Yes I'm addicted to that site. I'm always checking to see if the Pearl Jam section is updated among others! :D

Back
Top Bottom