let's talk about Irish music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
U2 of course
Damien Rice
Van Morrison
The Pogues/Shane MacGowan
Ash
The Frames
Stiff Little Fingers
The Undertones
Bell X1
Gemma Hayes
Mundy
Adrian Crowley
Flogging Molly (OK they're technically from California but Dave King is from Ireland)

Not huge fans of all, and for some I only know one or two songs, but I'm really bored so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Oh and I forgot Westlife. :wink:

Last edited:
and i thought , that cranberries are from island or something , except for U2 and this crazy rebel female ,nothing there

I love Van Morrison and I'd also like to add The Corrs. I also really like traditional Irish music, such as Brian McNamara, the McNamara family, and Brendan Lynch. :)

not-really-irish-bands-but-they-play-some-irish-and-irish-influenced-music:

gaelic storm
the tossers

*will not mention DKM will not mention DKM*
crap. i mentioned them.

:shifty: :reject:

I listen to Sinead O'Connor,Clannad, Christy Moore and Luka Bloom..a lot. I once saw a concert on TV from the Point Theatre in Dublin, a bit of a who's who of Irish music at the time( U2 weren't there). Just brilliant it was, Mary Black, Issac Issacson, Altan, a woman who ripped on accordian...so many I can't recall.
Brian Kennedy's performance at that show is etched in my mind. So much heart and enjoyment in what he was doing:applaud:
My son has music by a heavy Irish band called One Minute's Silence.My mum has the hots for Val Doonican and has a lot of tenors on vinyl and CD. I have a Val vinyl called "some of my best friends are songs":heart: I LOVE that title.
I use to be part of the celtic folk club around here and learned Irish and Scottish dances...gosh it was fun..energetic but fun. There is a group of very dedicated traditional musicians here, one of them makes the most beautiful harps.( he'll probably dress up to go the ROTK premiere too) Their band is called called Gaelforce Erin and they have regular ceildhs( I've forgotten how to spell it, I haven't been along for ages) So I love the traditional stuff too.

And then there's pennyblack a rock band that play around here. Their publicity always mentions the fact they are Irish..the Ponsonby Bros.:drool:
Today's banner at Yahoo mail says "you don't have to have the luck of the Irish to live like a king...win an Irish castle"
Do they have to?

and that other little 4 piece band...?? quite nice boys, good looking..????
:hmm:
that's it!!!

U2

oh yes...this will probaly put me in the musical sin bin for even longer.
I loved that song Ronan Keating sang for the movie "Notting Hill" and he reduced me to big salt tears one morning, the first time I saw/heard one of the film clips to a new song of his.( can't recall the title)

sure if I had the wings of a swallow...........

gav6519 said:
what about the cranberries, and jj72, and bob geldof? AND B*WITCHED?? :ohmy:

Hi grimers from ard macha :wave:

Bob Geldoff :heart:

Brian Kennedy - I have his autograph I always see him in town.

SLF :drool:

Cass I think you would like Tommy Makem - have you heard him :hmm: He played with the Clancy brothers a bit I think :hmm:

The Cranberries :yes: They played at the ulster hall grimey - did I tell you that? I dont think it was too poular though

Ash suck I seen them play once and they were sooooooooooooo bad - they are ok not playing live though.

My favorites:

Chieftans
U2
Van Morrison
The Pogues
Clannad
Enya
The Cranberries
Sinead
Christy Moore
Clandestine
Crisis
The Dubliners
Eleanor McEvoy
The Irish Tenors
and some other bands I know you havent heard of :wink:

Love Christy, Shane Mcgown, Dubliners, grew up on those. Also parents listened to alot of rebel music. Eire Og, a cd i found in my dads room, really heavy rebel. Mary black is great.

My mom loves Joe Dolan

ANd i cannot believe no one has said the best Irish band to ever form:

The WOLFETONES!!!

Back
Top Bottom