Let's Take a Moment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
20.jpg

R.I.P to my favorite Beatle of them all...

We miss you, John.

:sad: A great loss, indeed. (need for a smilie holding a single lit candle suddenly becomes apparent)

Give Peace a chance. :up: :heart:

Dr_Macphisto said:
Is anyone here old enough to remember when he died? What was it like?

I was 14 and I remember it vividly. I even remember what radio station I was listening to. I had just gone to bed and always had my clock radio set to play for an hour while I fell asleep. I was just drifting off when I heard it...John Lennon murdered in New York.

I jumped out of bed and ran to my mom, who had just seen it on TV. She was crying and we watched the news reports for the rest of the night.

I remember the next few days were a blur of John Lennon/Beatles music, retrospectives on TV, endless news reports, vigils and very, very sad people.

It was the first time I had ever experienced something like that.

So sad and senseless :sad:

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Doozer61 said:
Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

That song...seriously, if anybody's ever curious about what kinds of beliefs I have regarding humanity and life and everything, I'll refer them all to this song, 'cause it sums everything up perfectly. He took the words right out of my mouth.

"Just Like Starting Over" was played earlier. That's another song of his I love.

Angela

24 years. John died just as U2 were taking off. I wonder if John passed them some of his magic. :sad:

All we are saying is give peace a chance

I can't get through an entire listen of Imagine without tearing up :sad:

Its also hard for me to listen to anything from Double Fantasy...he was obviously happy and finally at a good place in his personal life and hearing songs like Just Like Starting Over, Woman and especially Beautiful Boy...its very emotional for me.

so this is Christmas
and what have you done?
another year over
a new one just begun

and so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
the near and the dear ones
the old and the young

a very merry Christmas
and a happy new year
let's hope it's a good one
without any fears

and so this is Christmas
for weak and for strong
the rich and the poor ones
the road is so long

and so this is Christmas
for black and for white
for yellow and red ones
let's stop all the fights

a very merry Christmas
and a happy new year
without any fears

and so this is Christmas
and what have we done?
another year over
a new one just begun

and so happy Christmas
we hope you have fun
the near and the dear ones
the old and the young

a very merry Christmas
and a happy new year
without any fears

and so this is Christmas
and what have we done?
another year over
a new one just begun...

:(

Yeah, it makes you wonder, doesn't it, Doozer? Ah, if only...

Bono's American Wife said:
I can't get through an entire listen of Imagine without tearing up :sad:

Mmhm. That song's definitely gotten me all teary-eyed before, too (and I remember when Neil Young covered it at that "Tribute To Heroes" thing, too-those words just really hit home then, and, my god, if you ever are curious to see me break down in tears...).

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
Its also hard for me to listen to anything from Double Fantasy...he was obviously happy and finally at a good place in his personal life and hearing songs like Just Like Starting Over, Woman and especially Beautiful Boy...its very emotional for me.

I know! Isn't there a quote from one of the last interviews he did where he said something like, "Wasn't the 70s a drag? Here's hoping the 80s will be better!". So full of optimism...

I remember when my school choir took our trip to New York City, we passed by the Dakota apartment building where he lived. That was really weird. And then when we were walking through Central Park, all I could think about was how John and Yoko walked the very same paths that I was walking then, and I thought that was so cool.

Angela

:sad:

Dr_Macphisto said:

It was very sad. I was at home studying for an exam (I was in college back then) when my brother came downstairs and told me that John Lennon had been shot. He found out while watching Monday Night Football.

I stopped studying and turned on the radio and I knew when I started switching stations and everyone was playing Beatles/John Lennon songs that it had to be true.

Miss you John

I was 11 and I remember it as big shock and a terrible sadness. :( It still is today. RIP :sad: thanks for all the music, you are not forgotton, John!

Dr_Macphisto said:

I was in college. All my classes were cancelled, such was the grief of the students and the professors.

I was 13 when he died, and I really don't remember much about it, which is strange because my older brothers were always playing Beatles records when I was growing up and I loved the music. One vivid memory I do have is going to the roller rink with my best friend not too long afterward (it was one of our favorite hangouts) and in addition to the usual music they played back then such as Blondie and Gary Numan, they played "Starting Over," and it just struck me as being incredibly bittersweet.

RIP John. I'm sorry so many people in the world aren't getting your message. :sad:

the world was a better place because of John. He was a great man with great dreams.

On top of that, his music is timeless.

Dr_Macphisto said:

Yes, I'll never forget seeing the headline "Ex-Beatle John Lennon Slain". It was an absolute, total nightmare.:sad: :sad:

That had to be awfully bizarre indeed, I'm sure, verte...that's to you what the day after Princess Diana died was like to me-I remember seeing a big headline on the front page of our paper announcing her death, and it just did not seem right.

Bono's shades said:
I'm sorry so many people in the world aren't getting your message. :sad:

I hear that one.

Angela

I was watching Discovery and they had a show called "Rivalry" and John and Paul were featured, also on Croatian TV there was a movie about Beatles's early years, but focusing on John.

Then I realised what the date was... :slant:

I'm too young to remember, but I imagine it was something like when Lady Diana died - I remember entering our living room, Mum watching CNN, and she says "Diana's dead." I look at the title "Princess Diana has died" and I thought "What do you mean, died? Did she denounce her title and go into total private life? Can't be dead, she's too young."
Until they showed pictures of the smashed car :mad: at the photographers that took pics immediately afterwards instead helping a fellow human.
And then, throughout the day, all those flowers at Buckingham palace and all those people weeping, crying...it was hard to watch. As if the world stopped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom