Let's show our appreciation for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salome said:

because I've been waiting for over a decade now to hear an angst ridden version of shiny happy people

to be fair, shiny happy people might not be the most typical michael stipe song, lyrically.

anyway... stream of consciousness, metaphors, incoherent sentences.

you've got it all there. thom has never tried to hide that he wanted to write lyrics like michael stipe. he is his hero.

Salome said:
I do feel fear and anxiety seeing Michael Stipe being compared to Thom Yorke

nevermind silly comparisons which are hardly ever conducive to a proper argument...

but just out of curiosity, do you simply not like yorke's lyrics or do you find them tolerable but quite weak by (and i hate doing this) COMPARISON to other artists such as stipe?

thom and stipe can easily be compared, being as thom once said about stipe's lyrics, that those were the kind of lyrics he wanted to write.

no, my point is that comparing anything to something else is often trivial and almost always boils down to fact merely becoming a matter of preference.

tis all.

i enjoy the lyric stylings of both stipe and yorke. :happy:

Zoomerang96 said:

nevermind silly comparisons which are hardly ever conducive to a proper argument...

but just out of curiosity, do you simply not like yorke's lyrics or do you find them tolerable but quite weak by (and i hate doing this) COMPARISON to other artists such as stipe?

salome, you never answered this...

yes, excuse me for not paying attention to the internet for a bit :D

my answer would be that I never compare lyricists or singers for that matter
it wasn't me how started making comparisons in this thread either

personally I don't care much for Yorke's lyrics, no
I suppose it has to do with imagery that doesn't appeal to me / doesn't mean much to me / I don't understand (usually all 3 of those within 1 song)

that being said
if Radiohead's lyrics would be the greatest on the planet I probably still wouldn't love them
actually, you can leave out the 'probably' bit
their songs start to bore me at about the 6th time I hear them
I appreciate the band for being a sincere rock band though (whatever rock might be)

Back
Top Bottom