Lets face it, Thom is an odd guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie's Angel

The Fly
Ive seen the most bizarre interviews with Thom where he becomes really intense and angry at the reporter for asking about the band and their mindset in the studio.
He doesn't do them often and I just wonder why he is so guarded about it. He agreed to the interview but then wouldnt answer questions about the recording process and said it was the band's business and no one else's.
I just wonder what he thinks sharing that about the band will do to them. This particular interview was rather scary.

Anyone ever see an interview where he's willing to openly talk?

Could he be sick of misrepresentation? When celebs answer a question, it only bring about 10 more, he's probably just sick of the constant digging.

I thought this was kind of funny... from 'The Bends'

So many interviewers asked about the line "I wish it was the sixties" that Thom started to regret having written it: "I really do wish I never wrote that fucking song -- it's become the bane of my life. Hundreds of journalists, asking -- every single fucking interview, asking -- 'Do you wish it was the sixties?' No! I don't wish it was the fucking sixties -- Levi's Jeans wish it was the sixties -- I certainly fucking don't".

hahahaa.

Yeah, he's an odd guy alright but there is something strangely attractive about that. I remember watching Meeting People is Easy, Thom always seemed to get Colin or someone to do the interviews instead of him cause he hated them so much. Like the part where they had to accept that award via sattelite and the part where they had to say, "This is radiohead and you're listening to blah blah blah." I think he loves making the music but hates the publicity aspects of it. There was a disucussion about this on interference awhile ago and someone was saying that if he didn't like being a rockstar he shouldn't be in a band but I don't agree with that. I think that if he loves the music that is what he should do.

------------------
We plants are happy plants.

I think a lot of it is down to the interviewer/journalist/publication. I have read interviews with Thom in particular similar to what you describe, but I have also read interviews where he is extremely open and voluble about what his band is up to. Some of it could be just media bias, y'know choosing a few select grumpy quotes to spin a nice story about the suicidal nutcase frontman with a lazy eye and a club foot etc etc. Thom's a smart guy, which is probably why he does clam up at times.

Remember also that - at least according to him - he was in some kind of mental breakdown after OK Computer and that tour.

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
Remember also that - at least according to him - he was in some kind of mental breakdown after OK Computer and that tour.

Ohhh I dont know about that.. tell me more.

Someone said to me that he might be schizophrenic. I've never really looked at any Radiohead interviews, and I don't know a whole lot about the band, so I have no idea. Is there actually some suggestion of that, or is it just that he likes to act a little funny?

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Good point, K. I remember hearing something about that. I'm sure he is much happier now.

------------------
We plants are happy plants.

Originally posted by Calluna:
Good point, K. I remember hearing something about that. I'm sure he is much happier now.

fitter, happier and more productive even.
tongue.gif

well i know i am in that club, i'm an "odd guy"

i don't do anything cool though like write great songs with a rock band
mad.gif

Thom is ok, Bono gives him a good cheering up every now and then, as he does with all of us

Sicy, I've always found www.followmearound.com to be a good source of Radiohead info/articles/interviews gathered from the music press. Check out some of the interviews with Thom and the band, around the times that Kid A and Amnesiac were released. Thom makes frequent mention of his emotional troubles after OK Computer, which I suspect had as much to do with creative and physical burnout as anything else.

I don't think Mr Yorke's sanity is in any danger: that's too pat an explanation. He is simply a very intense character.

[This message has been edited by Kieran McConville (edited 01-31-2002).]

Cool I just read an interesting interview about Thom not being able to listen to Ok Computer after the tour because he says it freaks him out it takes him to a bad place. eek.
http://www.followmearound.com/press/107.html

Thanks Kieran.. actually I have the site but I have only used it for the lyrics section and bear pictures.
icon38.gif

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Someone said to me that he might be schizophrenic. I've never really looked at any Radiohead interviews, and I don't know a whole lot about the band, so I have no idea. Is there actually some suggestion of that, or is it just that he likes to act a little funny?

lets go with bi-polar. ups and downs, that's all. out in the summer rain...

Originally posted by Charlie's Angel:
i wont tell you who Thom actually reminds me of.
please do!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Some rough beast slouching toward Bethlehem to be born...

I always wanted to say that.

Ah, Yeats. The greatest of the great.

I have no idea what is going on in this thread. I definitely do not belong in this forum. I'll leave you elitist fans to your incomprehensible chatter now.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Back
Top Bottom