lets do oldschool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I've been focused so much on keeping track of the best of 2004 I've neglected my roots.

Listen to:
Big Star - Third Sister Lovers
this shit is damn good!! I can hear how this has influenced the likes of Elliott Smith and co.!

also
T. Rex - Electric Warrior
sometimes he sounds like jeff buckley, other times he has the crazy vibrato that devendra banhart so proudly displays today.

who else should I get into?

one thing I gotta do, is get the entire Jimmi Hendrix catalogue

Big Star is great. As is T.Rex.

I've been discovering a lot of 'old-school' music these days too. My favourites (or rather my discernible likes):

The Zombies
Laura Nyro
Nick Drake
the Velvet Underground
Gram Parsons/The Byrds
Fairport Convention/Richard Thompson/Sandy Denny
Nick Lowe
Graham Parker
Miles Davis (does he count?)
etc.

I listen to old-school stuff all the time because I'm old. :|

Here's some stuff I've been listening to lately that's old school even for a geezer like me:

Van Morrison/Them
Tim Buckley
Television
The Ramones

I recently heard some Gentle Giant

it's CRAZY shit.
pretty mathematical prog rock...but a step above other prog rock in some ways.
but somehow nobody knows about them

Basstrap said:
I've been focused so much on keeping track of the best of 2004 I've neglected my roots.

Listen to:
Big Star - Third Sister Lovers
this shit is damn good!! I can hear how this has influenced the likes of Elliott Smith and co.!

also
T. Rex - Electric Warrior
sometimes he sounds like jeff buckley, other times he has the crazy vibrato that devendra banhart so proudly displays today.

who else should I get into?

one thing I gotta do, is get the entire Jimmi Hendrix catalogue

If you like Big Star, get your hands on #1 Record/Radio City. It's 2 records on 1 cd. Their best stuff. Really brilliant.

And for T.Rex, get The Slider and Tanx. The Slider is his best album. Tanx is up there as well. Some of his other records are shite. He really tried to go disco. But The Slider and Tanx are pure rock.

Ha I finally unpacked my box of cds today and as I was putting them on the rack I rediscovered my Best of Marc Bolan and T. Rex. Children of the Revolution kicks vast arse.

The Zombies :up:

Back
Top Bottom