Let's chat about classical music.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ his last date EVERRRR?!
wow!
i thought it would be in New York too. doesn't he have some kind of history with new york? i read it somehwere, but i kinda forgot. something like that's where he had his first major U.S. performance or osmething?

anyways, have funn!! =)

I'm not an avid classical music listener, but I like my selected stuff.

I really like Beethoven's stuff, but I really like his Violin Concerto and Moonlight Sonata. Both songs are so relaxing.

Tchaikovsky on the other hand, I love his 1812 Festival Overture. Ugh, that song amazes me so much on so many levels.

As someone who spent YEARS playing classical music, my favorite is still Beethoven.

If you like something darker, check out some of Berlioz's stuff, like Symphonie Fantastique

One of my favorite symphonies is Mussorgsky's Pictures from an Exhibition. The Gate's of Kiev was one of the last songs I think I performed.

Three pages of posts and none mentioned Wagner? That's strange.He's my second favorite composer (Bethoven is first).
Der Fliegende Hollander-masterpiece

I was a music major in college, but my school failed to instill a deep love of classical music in me. I like most of what I know, and those I like I like a LOT, but I'm not likely to listen to the classical music station on the radio.

As a former pianist (oh, I'm so rusty it makes me sad), I loved playing Debussy and Chopin. Mozart, too. Mozart's and Bach's music is perfection. I'm not a religious person, but you listen to Mozart and Bach and are ready to drop to your damn knees and proclaim that these guys were touched by the hand of God.

Now instead of playing piano, I sing in a chamber choir, and I love most of the sacred music we sing. This past year we did the Mozart Requiem for his 250th (200th? I don't remember) birthday. :heart: :heart: :heart:

For our last concert, we sang Faure's Requiem (so beautiful) and a little-known piece called "The Seven Last Words of Christ" by a French composer named DuBois. I love, love, love that one.

Other faves: Debussy "La Mer" and "Clair du Lune", Bach's cello suites, Barber's "Adagio For Strings", Dvorak's "New World" Symphony.

Justin24 mentioned a Chanticleer "Ave Maria" earlier in the thread - which one did you mean? I have a recording of them doing the Franz Biebl "Ave Maria," and it's just the most beautiful piece of music you've ever heard.

Really, you can't beat a good "Ave Maria." :wink:

Last edited:
Among the rock n' roll and pop music I was exposed to in my youth, my parents were wise enough to expose us to classical music as well - which I still love.

My favorite composers are Mozart and Tchaikovsky, and I love to listen to "light" classical music - such as:

1. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (SP?), Symphony No.40 - Mozart
2. 1812 Overture, Nutcracker Suite - Tchaikovsky.
3. The 4 seasons - Vivaldi

I also adore opera - my favorite is "Il Trovatore" by Verdi - beautiful music with a tragic story.
I also love Aida by Verdi and Don Giovanni by Mozart.

I also love the Strauss waltzes and the Liszt hungarian dances.

GibsonGirl said:

There are some talented musicians out here. Nothing like you'd see on the mainland, I expect, but still talented.

:sad:

Per capita, we're amazing!

I'm a huge fan of classical music in film soundtracks. Contemporary stuff like Howard Shore is great. I also love how Stanley Kubrick used classical music in his films like A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Those are definitely worth checking out if you like dark and spacey atmospherics blended with classics like Beethoven's Ninth.

This site from BBC Radio might be a useful tool...there's a message board here with pretty much every topic pertaining to classical music.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/index.shtml

Back
Top Bottom